Help! need advice as a young british female moving to kuwait shortly.

Im having so many mixed feelings.
Ive been offered a great job that pays well but my main concern is my safety.
Girls! Help me out!

thank you

Don't worry Kuwait is very safe place. Female can wear whatever they  want. Accept the offer.

They are open mind people

Safety is not a concern unless you are planning to drive. Then it becomes a gamble.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=224802

Hey Drew

There was another thread with some ladies asking a simialr question "Single female in Kuwait". Trawl through amd you may get answers. Kuwait is relatively safe for women just you might be annoyed by being asked for you phone number often or men making poor passes at you.

However we have noticed that most of the answers are by men not women (no sisterhood).

Don't worry Kuwait is very safe place. Female can wear whatever they  want. Accept the offer. & They are open mind people

Kuwait is absolutely safe. If you offer is great, go for it. Read through this forum, which gives loads of details.

Hi Drew.

I find it safe. You can wear what you want. You may get stared at. That is all.

What part will you be moving to?

Hi Drew,

Its a dry place.

Cheers

you're gonna be fine...;)

Ready to Get HomeSick

TriniMario wrote:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=224802

Hey Drew

There was another thread with some ladies asking a simialr question "Single female in Kuwait". Trawl through amd you may get answers. Kuwait is relatively safe for women just you might be annoyed by being asked for you phone number often or men making poor passes at you.

However we have noticed that most of the answers are by men not women (no sisterhood).

I agree, I've had to block so many men already!
The help I've got off the ladies had been a great help though :)

unsure yet! I will be provided accommodation for up to 2 months.
Ive been given a few suggestions, I'm open to your opinion also!

I hope so! Im pretty open minded and savvy so fingers crossed

such helpful trend... Thanks... Looking forward Expat.com also a part of my journey in kuwait. :D

You will be more concerned about the weather than anything else ,believe me :D

You'll be safe in Kuwait.Don't worry.

check this post here

also read up on the forum before making a new topic, as the issue of female safety has been discussed repeatedly. you are not the first, nor last, single woman to decide to come to Kuwait.

dont let the media get to u.

Il post about whatever topic I like as many times as I like. It's a forum.

drewroxanne wrote:

You probably won't as it is not your forum to do as you please. That would just show a complete lack of respect for others, and I am sure this is not what you intend to do.

drewroxanne wrote:

Please read the terms and conditions of this forum which you can find at the bottom of this page.

legacy wrote:

check this post here

also read up on the forum before making a new topic, as the issue of female safety has been discussed repeatedly. you are not the first, nor last, single woman to decide to come to Kuwait.

dont let the media get to u.

There is absolutely nothing wrong that she open a new thread asking about her safty even though there are other threads with similar questions.

Some posts are pretty old besides there might be new interesting answers from others.

Thank you!

You would think three grown men would have something better to do than trying to corner a girl on a forum that's designed to help people with queries and worries.
Says it all.

No reason to pull the gender card out. You were the one who acted aggressively. I have seen a lot of people who come in barging into a forum acting as if they are entitled to free help community is trying to offer, while at the same time claiming they "will do as they like".
But we are going off topic now and no one is benefiting form that, so I will shut up now and let the "officials" deal with it. :)

Hi all,

Can we just calm down here?
I would like to remind that the forum about members helping each other out and it is indeed recommended to read existing thread so as centralise information and advices.

Thanks
Armand
Expat.com Team

Dear friend

I believe it better to check company's profile first.. If its a proper/big company then go ahead as they must have a strong policies.

Best of luck

Hi Roxanne,

I agree with the idea of our friend here about "checking the company profile". But as opposed to "you can wear whatever you want" it is a big NO, NO. As a female expat in an Islamic country like Kuwait, blatant disregard of modest clothing is unacceptable. It concerns your being respected as woman which echoes the safety concern.

I am a female :)  and I would say, it is generally safe in Kuwait sister. Make no mistake, you are equally responsible for your own safety though!

Good luck and all the best on your future move to Kuwait.

L.S.R.

Hi,
I am Salil, Indian National, working here in Kuwait since last 13 years with US Army - 12 years for US Army and now working for a Private Company.  I will provide you couple of information which is very helpful for you.
Kuwait is a peaceful country to live in.  Its a small state, with Five Governorates,  viz  Fahaheel,  Jahra, Farwaniya, Ahmadi & Hawally.  Mixed nationalities are living here.  Transport public Transport, KPTC, City Bus  as well as KGL  besides Call Taxi.

I am  living in  Abou Halifa,  My Phone  Number is  00965-66105874   Nearby Fahaheel.  Brief about  Kuwait  Follows:
Living in Kuwait:
Kuwait is a tiny country. It is so small that driving for two hours in any direction from the center of the city puts you in another country. There are 2.5 million people in Kuwait and only 1 million of them are Kuwaitis. The remainder are imported labor, just as you will be if you choose to work there. Most of the laborers brought into Kuwait, except for female house servants, are males from Egypt, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and the Philippines. One of the most serious and pressing public policy issues in Kuwait (and Saudi Arabia, where similar conditions exist) is the country's over dependence on foreign labor. Most Kuwaitis, especially if they have college degrees, hold out for government jobs, which are essentially lifetime appointments with generous retirement benefits. Very few opt to work in the private sector, where wages are depressed as a result of the importation of inexpensive labor.
Certain articles are proscribed within Kuwait, including pork and alcohol. And lest you think bringing in a bottle or two of spirits is inviting a jail term. if you are entering Kuwait for the first time, I would advise you not to attempt to bring any alcohol into the country. More pernicious than the banning of alcohol, however, is the censoring of books, magazines, and films. These are the least objectionable in terms of content to the censors. Love stories and anything remotely related to sex is heavily censored or banned. Same applies to videos, though the music market seems to be a little bit more open. Print material is also censored for both graphic and editorial content. Pictures of women in swimsuits and low cut blouses, for example, are routinely marked over with the censor's black marker, as are articles, quotes or comments deemed politically or religiously offensive.
So, what is there to do in Kuwait? There isn't much- Shopping is also a favorite activity of the Kuwaitis, though you probably won't be interested in traveling halfway around the world to blow your salary on consumer goods. But if you want it, they have it. There are several upscale shopping malls, and the Salmiya high street features such shops.
The Friday market is a huge weekly open air market that is always fun to visit if for no other reason than to take in the sights. You'll find almost everything imaginable on sale here, including livestock, Persian rugs, antiques, furniture, household items (such as laundry detergent, kitchen ware, and other daily necessities), clothing, and just plain old junk that someone carted out of their garage, storage shed, or basement.
Gold is also a big item in the Gulf and there is plenty to be had in Kuwait. Most of the jewelry is imported from India and given the cheaper labor costs there you probably do save a little on labor and spend a greater proportion on the gold itself.
Driving around in your car is another favorite pastime of the Kuwaitis, especially the young. If you're going to participate, a cell phone is de rigor.
Outside of restaurants and coffee shops, there are very few places for informal social gatherings. There are no bars, discos, or music clubs. Many of the large hotels attempt to fill this gap with seasonal events such as bazaars, or weekly musical performances by local musicians.
With no bars or restaurants available for socializing, many expats become part of social circles that hold weekly gatherings, the meetings rotating amongst a circle of friends.  Salary and Cost of Living
There is no legal minimum wage in the private sector. An informal two-tiered labor market ensures high wages for Kuwaiti nationals, most of who are in government white collar or executive positions, while foreign workers, even those in skilled positions, receive substantially lower wages. Recently a visiting Bangladeshi Foreign Minister reported that the Bangladeshi domestic workers earn as little as 20 KD (1 KD = 140 IRS Approx.) per month. There is no legal minimum wage in the country. Non citizens do not receive the same social benefits as citizens and must pay fees for education and health care, which are provided free for all citizens. Private sector wages range from as much 2,500 to 3,000 dinars each month for top managers of large companies to between 200 to 300 dinars for other skilled professionals and no skilled workers. The public sector minimum wage provides a decent standard of living for a worker and family. Wages of unskilled workers in the private sector do not always provide a decent standard of living, with housemaids often making less than 40 dinars per month. To be eligible to sponsor family members for residency, government and private sector workers must receive a minimum wage of 400 dinars per month.

Employers often exploit workers' willingness to accept substandard conditions. Some foreign workers, especially unskilled or semiskilled South Asian workers, live and work much like indentured servants, are unaware of their legal rights, and generally lack the means to pursue a legal remedy. They frequently face contractual disputes and poor working conditions, and may face physical and sexual abuse. Most are in debt to their employers before they arrive in the country and have little choice but to accept the employer's conditions, even if they breach the contractual terms. It is not uncommon for wages to be withheld for a period of months, or to be decreased substantially. Many foreign workers are forced to live in "housing camps," which generally are overcrowded and lack adequate cooking and bathroom facilities. Workers are housed 10 or more to a room in squalid conditions, many without access to adequate running water. The workers are only allowed off the camp compound on company transport or by permission of the employer. Foreign workers' ability to change their employment is limited, and, in some cases, employers' possession of foreign workers' passports allows them to exercise control over such employees. Many foreign workers go heavily into debt and cannot afford to return home.

Cost of living
You can definitely sock away several thousand a year living prudently - not frugally. Cost of living is not unreasonable
Kuwait laws do not allow expatriates to buy house or other properties. Monthly rent for a single bed room flat with a hall and kitchen is about 100 to 150 KD depending on the locality. a two bed room flat with a hall and kitchen will be around 180 to 250 KD. There are many Indian families living in a shared apartment which means two families together will buy a two bedroom flat for rent. This is more economical expect for top managers and other such professionals. Bachelor can share a room/apartment with other 3-4 bachelors for a monthly rent of 25-35 KD per person. There are many Indian messes where bachelors can stay with food for a monthly rent of KD 35 - 50 with 2-3 people in a room. Usually for a single person the monthly food expense will come around 30 - 50 KD.
Transporting
Most people have a car, especially women. However, to get a driving license the required minimum salary is KD 400. You can get a good second hand car for a cost of around 700 - 1000 KD. Most of the people depend entirely on public transport. However, buses don't run on schedule, and are used largely by the laboring class, workers from Egypt, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and India. Taxis get a bit expensive if you try to use them everyday. Minimum fare is 1kd. You can make arrangements with a private driver to take you to and from work on a daily basis for a flat fee of around 30KD a month (depend on the location and distance). 
.For a single bachelor, in this current salary scenario, if you are getting a salary of around 200 KD, your monthly spending will be as follows:
Room rent: 35.000 (Sharing with other bachelors)
Food : 30.000 KD
Transport : 30.000 KD
Other expenses : 20.000 KD
Total : 115.000
Your savings : 85.000 KD = 12,000 IRS (Approx.)

If you are with your family, the minimum recommended salary range is 450 KD.

This is only a rough data and the exact expense is totally individual.

The New Traffic law governing the Points system in effect from 1st Nov 2001. There is now a specific number of points assigned for every traffic violation and upon reaching a certain amount of points action is taken against the violator. Below is a summary taken from the Official Gazette.
•14 points - withdrawal of driving permit for 1month for 1st time violators
•12 points – second time violation, 6months withdrawal of driving permit
•10 points – third time violation, 9months withdrawal of driving permit
•8 points – one year withdrawal of driving permit for 4the time violators
•6 points – permanent withdrawal of driving license for 5th time violators

The points will be automatically deleted under the following 2 conditions.
•upon withdrawal of a driving permit
•non-repetition of any other violation within a year of the last violation
Table of violations  Points. 
Crossing red traffic signal  4 
Exceeding speed limit  4 
Driving on opposite direction  3 
Driving a permit not suitable for that category  3 
Driving with a withdrawn or invalid driving permit  3 
Reckless driving  4 
Driving an unlicensed vehicle  3 
Driving a vehicle without its number plate  3 
Using private car for transportation  2 
Intentionally obstructing traffic  2 
Driving a vehicle without proper function of brakes  2 
Violation loading regulations  1 
Exceeding vehicle stipulated   weight, width,   and length  1 
Non – adherence to traffic lines and sign  1 
Wrong ‘U' turns  1 
Driving without the compulsory insurance document  1 
Invalid car permit  1
Vehicle emitting smoke or bad odor  1 

Please note traffic fines and detention has likewise increased: Violation  Maximum Fine Maximum detention
Over speeding  KD 100.000 3 months
Passing red signal  KD 300.000 3 months
Driving under effect of alcohol  KD 500.000 1 year plus withdrawal of license

Anything else you want to know  please feel free to ask

Regards

Salil

Seriously copy and paste a load of information which is out of date, jeez someone show me a decent 2 bed apartment for between 180-250....... you're looking 350 minimum!

Anyway back to topic, I am British and my wife visits Kuwait regularly, she has no issues, dresses normal western clothes but if we are going somewhere busy i.e. a shopping mall and she has a shoulderless outfit on or lowcut top she will wear a nice pashmina to keep it respectful. Certain places you will get stared and if you decide to drive you'll have to get used to the boys driving next to you trying to chat you up as they don't have clubs/pubs/bars to meet girls at!!

If you want to ask anything specific give me a pm I have been here over 4 yrs so got a good understanding of what is what over here!

Rob

yes, it is a forum, you are correct.

you are expected to learn how to read first.

old, yes.

relevant, yes.

problem? no.

dear Salil,

as much as i would like to say thank you for your contribution, please try to refrain from copy pasting such giant articles that are clearly outdated onto the forum.

if you wish to add something of your own, a tid-bit of personal experience, great, please go right ahead.

but if you are simply copy-pasting irrelevant, outdated information. the expat in question is not from india.

next time, please just post a link to the article you think would be helpful, especially in cases where it is this long.

thank you :)

Believe it or not women are safer than men here  :joking: