Baby powder milk in Addis - anybody would know?

Dear Expat.comgers,

please help! I'll be going to Addis in the next couple of weeks and i don't know whether i should bring boxes of my baby's milk formula. Would anybody know if and what kinds of baby milk are available in Addis? I use a brand sold under the name Aptamil in the UK, blue paper box.. it would help me enormously if i knew, because logistically it would be quite difficult to bring 6 or 7 boxes with me...

thanks for any answer!

zuzi

Hi Zuzi

I have a 9 month old baby and we are both from UK we had our baby in the USA when we came to Ethiopia we brought infamil from US and quickly run out and used a baby powder imported from France I forgot the name and the brand baby lac is available too;I have used it  is fine but if you have the chance bring some I have imported "Cow and Gate" 17 pieces from uk by Air freight and it cost me about 265.00 sterling pounds including the Air freight my baby is still using that it will last for about 6month so I would advise you to dothe same I can give you the contact for the Air freight company in London If you like. If you need more information I would be glad to share But you should not worry that much in finding a baby powder in diffrent barnd. I have Apartments that I let If you have not yet sort out a place yet.

Best Wishes.

Hello Olympus,
and thank you for your reply, i think the brand you mean is from Nestle - that's great, i will bring couple of boxes of mine and then try that..
It's all coming together but veeeery slowly; problems with long-term car renting, house finding, money withdrawals from ATMs..we want a house, i can't imagine being stuck in an appartment with the baby, but thanks. Renting a car seems to be a nightmare - apparently my husband needs an Ethiopian driving licence - and houses want 6 month rent in advance, which is a bit exaggerated. All slightly more difficult than expected..i know, it's Africa! But i hope i'll be joining him soon. If you knew of someone renting a decent house in decent area, please let me know, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks again for the info, very helpful, and have a good day!

Zuzi

Hey everyone,
i started this topic when i was in Europe, now i'm in Addis and can answer it for anyone else who would have the same problem.
So, there several kinds of baby milk formula available in supermarkets like Bambis, i even found the one i am using in the UK only under a different name, called Bebelac. Quite a popular one is Nan from Nestle, then i saw couple made in South Africa. As long as it's not Made in China it will do!

zuzi83 wrote:

Hey everyone,
i started this topic when i was in Europe, now i'm in Addis and can answer it for anyone else who would have the same problem.
So, there several kinds of baby milk formula available in supermarkets like Bambis, i even found the one i am using in the UK only under a different name, called Bebelac. Quite a popular one is Nan from Nestle, then i saw couple made in South Africa. As long as it's not Made in China it will do!

Welcome to Addis Ababa I am glad you found what you are looking for if there is anything else you would like to know do not hesitate to let us know. All the best.