Disabled Medicare drug planprescription options

Hello all:

I am 42 and living in Manilla. I am on SSDI and am looking for anyone with experience of using a vacation override to bring meds back to the Philippines. Meds here are expensive! Currently, I got Humana to fill 6 months worth of meds for me, and I hand carried them. I go back to the States twice a year for checkups, but they say now they are only doing vacation overrides for 3 months, twice per year. Anyone with experience or suggestions? It is time for open enrollment. Thanks!

Hello jdw1972,

I am not sure what med's you are on, or if they are special and not available here.  I used to pay $250.00 in prescription copay's in the USA and brought a good supply here with me.  When I was in the hospital here the doctor replaced the drugs with the Philippine equivalent of my USA drugs and now I pay cash out of pocket for all my med's and doctor's visits for less than my USA copay's I had.  You should find a doctor here and consult with him/her on your needs and see if you can get an equivalent replacement for your med's. 

I hope this helps with your needs, RAC

Best you do mail order and have it delivered by LBC,because mail system is extremely slow

If you are going to ship LBC, keep in mind they do not ship out of the country to the USA directly, they hand the parcels off to a secondary carrier to ship out of country, and visa versa on incoming shipments.  After several times shipping with them I changed to DHL, which ships direct from the states and visa versa.  Another thing to be aware of is there are some regulations about importing drugs into the Philippines.  You should talk with customs and check what is allowed to come into the country.  I had a few problems with trying to get certain items shipped here from the USA.  Also, there is a limit on the amount of drugs that you can personally bring into the country.  Hope this helps, RAC