Visa requirements

> I'm a male British citizen
> I'm a 28 years old
> I have my own business in Singapore
> I've been living abroad for 7+ years
> My girlfriend is a Philippine citizen and she is also pregnant with my child - baby due 2015,
> Can someone explain to me what the requirements are for a British citizen wanting to live in Malta permanently (documentation / what type of visa is required / visa fees / how long the application will take / what authorities I need to go to in Malta or Philippines)
> Can someone explain to me what the requirements are for a Philippine citizen wanting to live in Malta permanently (documentation / what type of visa is required / visa fees / how long the application will take / what authorities I need to go to in Malta or Philippines)
> We both are not looking to work there, we just want to rent a property and use Malta as a base, because we will be traveling backwards and forwards from the Philippines, Singapore, uk, Malta
> My mother, my auntie , my uncle and my two cousins are living in Malta for 5 years now and they are all British citizen, (will this help with my application)
> we are currently living in the Philippines and seeking the correct information....my email address is [email protected]

your response will be much appreciated!!!

Kind regards
Rory Hipgrave

Hi Rory,

as a British citizen you do not need a visa to enter or live in the EU (Malta).

You have to register for residency with one of the reasons ( work,economic self-sufficiency and so on) and fulfil the requirements, basically enough income and health insurance coverage and somewhere to live. The Maltese authorities will issue an e-residence card.

It will be much more difficult for your Phillipine girlfriend.  The option of applying for her residency as a family member will depend on the discretion of the Director of the Department for Expat Affairs and, at the best be limited to, temporary residency for up to one year. Your safest option is probably to marry her before you arrive in Malta to avoid problems.
It is probably best to contact the Department for advice :

http://homeaffairs.gov.mt/en/MHAS-Infor … dence.aspx

I'm not sure if the application for a tourist visa is a good option as your clear intention is residency and not tourism.

Cheers
Ricky

thank you for the reply Ricky,
if I was to marry her here in the Philippines would it make it any easier getting her into malta, what would be the difference??? what would be the requirements then???

Kind Regards

Of course !

As your wife ( family member of an EU citizen) she would have the same rights as an EU citizen including being allowed to work without a work permit.

It is impossible to get her the same rights otherwise.

You register for your own residency and apply for your wife's residency. That's it ! Documents: Marriage certificate,birth certificate, passport and so on ( all her documents have to be translated into English and confirmed).

Cheers
Ricky

cheers ricky, great help, that has cleared a lot of things up for me!!!

Hello peeps, me and my partner both british and are aiming to move to malta at the end of nov 2014 .. I'm trying to work out the best way to start, do I head out there and rent a place then head to Valletta to get e card? Or apply for e card gain e card then rent? Also what would stop me from moving to malta? ie not earning much in Uk or not having right trade etc... I'm currently a carpenter/ locksmith... But willing to do anything! I'm a complete water baby and live for the sea ( free diver/ scuba/ snorkel / spear fisher...so willing to clean the toilets along as it keeps me in malta! I completely love the place! Also with the e card would that allow me to work in malta? Or would I need to apply for work permit ...
Thanks Darryl & maria

Darrylmartin wrote:

Hello peeps, me and my partner both british and are aiming to move to malta at the end of nov 2014 .. I'm trying to work out the best way to start, do I head out there and rent a place then head to Valletta to get e card? Or apply for e card gain e card then rent? Also what would stop me from moving to malta? ie not earning much in Uk or not having right trade etc... I'm currently a carpenter/ locksmith... But willing to do anything! I'm a complete water baby and live for the sea ( free diver/ scuba/ snorkel / spear fisher...so willing to clean the toilets along as it keeps me in malta! I completely love the place! Also with the e card would that allow me to work in malta? Or would I need to apply for work permit ...
Thanks Darryl & maria

OK as your both british its fairly simple to come here and apply for residencey
you dont need to apply for anything before you arrive (though may be worth applying for work)
1. residency : as you may be aware there are a few options as far as this is concerned either
you come here get work and use that as the basis of applying for residency , or you have enough cash to apply for economic self sufficiency route .  TO Apply you will need to have proof of your maltese address (hence why you cant apply in the uk) and all the relevant forms fillied in work contract etc or proof that your are able to sustain yourself .
( being an EU citizen and Malta being in the Eu , you have the right to live and work in any eu  country)

2 Neither of you as british (eu) will require a work permit  you have the right to live and work in any eu country .

3 . i suggest that you make sure you have adequate savings to sustain your self in malta for at least 3 months ,   hopefully finding jobs wont proove too difficult but it depends on time of year etc

4. renting in november isnt going to proove to difficult the tourist season is coming to an end and property prices are falling and as long as your happy to rent longterm 6months or longer you should get a relatively cheap deal .

5. work  if your willling to do anything their are plenty of jobs checkout maltapark , the ETC  website and the times of malta for some of the jobs plus the board on here

6 giving that you have a month to get things sorted  i wish you the best of luck and if you want any help etc then please pm me  ...i came out in april fell in love moved back the end of may so we ( me and my husband) came here with around 500 euros , he found work selling boat trips and we havent looked back he is now an IT manager and we  have had a very interesting but rewarding six months so it can be done and i know people will come on and tell you Fail to plan , Plan to Fail etc but it all depedns on you as an individual

Yep.....I too agree with Rob's sentiment about being prepared. Remember to use the 6 P principle:

Proper Planning Prevents Pish Poor Performance.

Good Luck

Mike

Thanks for reply,  :) what a massive achievement to move there with only 500 euros! be proud you both deserve it! im moving to malta with about 3000 euros... and im nervous lol.. well thank you for fast reply, you have answered alot! was going to also ask have you bought a car/ moped? wanted to get your views on that? also have you guys made friends in malta? and how do the Maltese feel about us living there? thanks

we havent bought a car yet, i cant drive due to a disability and matthew can but we found it easier to use the buses .plus there are a lot of expenses relating to driving and money has been tight  however buses are a viable option  they are cheap and they tend to run .... however  negatives the bus drivers are a law unto them selves the timetables mean didly squat and  they get very busy   so if you want a car then by all means do so just remember the maltese drive terribly and roads are often poorly maintained and traffic is horrendus . A lot of people drive bikes/mopeds so it may be something you may wish to consider but again the other road users are a hazard.
friends : to be fair we have met a few people but not really made any friends but then thats not a big deal for us as we enjoy our own time too .
Maltese people: from my experience they are lovely and have been really nice , they are freindly will say hello to you and start conversations .. (often when you dont want to have one lol) , they will happily share there music with you at 7 am on a saturday morning ... they are also very proud of their homes often sweeping the pavement outside and they will sit outside and chat to anyone who wishes too . Like any country you get those that welcome you with open arms and those who dont ,

where are you thinking of living  ?

Ah yes driving in malta lol... done that a few times... and to behonest i prefer driving there than here in uk... although the roads are a bit crappy... atleast you can just get on when driving out there! i found if you get carved up out there you beep the horn and move on! here in uk people tend to beep the horn get out the car cause a massive seen! lose sleep over it for the next week! tell there friends about it etc....! lol but due to traffic i think ill start on motorbike ...due to the parking being a pain out there... thanks again for your replys i really appreciate it!  :top: