Looking for security tips for selling a car in Quito

I want to sell my used car but I'm worried about safety, since I will have to let strangers in my house and take the car around for test drives. I would like to sell it myself and not through an intermediary because I don't want to lose a lot of money on commissions. If anyone has experience selling a car or has any safety tips it would be highly appreciated!

Firstly, I would suggest that you not allow strangers into your home. Too easy of an opportunity to scope out your place. If you are a single female, they will probably be able to ascertain that from being inside.
I suggest you set up appointments, and have them meet you in front of your building. I would never allow the vehicle to be test driven alone. Have a male friend accompany them on the test drive. Before they leave on a test drive, require that they leave their cedula in your procession. Like a security deposit, but if something nefarious is planned, they would be foolish to leave their contact info for the police. Also make sure you have a valid telephone number from them that you can call to confirm the number is legitimate.
Just a few recommendations. Others may have additional ideas.
Best of luck in your sale.
Regards,
ZenSPIKE

ZenSPIKE wrote:

I would suggest that you not allow strangers into your home.I suggest you set up appointments, and have them meet you in front of your building. I would never allow the vehicle to be test driven alone....Before they leave on a test drive, require that they leave their cedula in your procession.
ZenSPIKE

These are terrific suggestions, 'SPIKE.

How would you handle the transaction itself, including the exchange of cash for car and where you would do this exchange...

And while we're at it, say you were buying a car from an EC owner you had just met.

Would you pay in cash, and if so, where...and who would supervise that the Spanish-language paperwork was correctly prepared...

Good questions.
I have a friend that bought a car in Quito, for primary use in Cuenca. He bought it on a used car lot. His thinking was, that since he bought it from a lot, all was cool. NOT !! About 6 months later, his car was towed to an impound lot in Cuenca for a simple parking infraction. Turns out, the car had a ton of outstanding tickets and fees owed. He found that he was responsible, not the previous owner. Cost him over $ 1,600.00 to bail his car out. So firstly, I'd do a check with whatever they call the Department of Motor Vehicles wherever you are. Make sure the car is clean.
As far as the paperwork is concerned, I would use a Spanish speaking person that is savvy with the system. I purchased a property here in Cuenca. I originally used an attorney to do all the initial paperwork and purchase agreement, but when it came time to get the actual deed < almost a year later> to transfer from the builder to myself,the atty. wanted $ 450.00  for this transaction. A local heard of that, and she walked me through the process for nothing.
As far as the money transfer is concerned, I'd meet the other party at either the bank, or the title transfer point. I wouldn't just carry the money having the other party aware that I had that much cash on my person.
Might sound paranoid, but, there are a ton of scammers out there that are more than willing to take your money and run.
Regards,
Neil