Just in case in need of human emergency physical care, where to go?

Hola  :cheers: 
Just in case we humans need emergency medical attention, where are the best places to go in Puerto Rico?

My husband is looking for a nearby, & a great place (or places) to take employees, who are building the new International Mall in Carolina.

There MAY be injuries like those to the hands, broken bones, falls, pulled muscles, back injuries, possible heat strokes? or heart attacks? ... . 

Here's a side note: We've definitely noticed that driving an injured person ourselves to a clinic or a hospital ourselves is probably better.  We may get them to an ER about the same time as an ambulance would, or maybe sooner. This is because we'd be right there at the scene of an accident when it would have happened, and get this. Many drivers do NOT immediately or even pull over & stop at all for emergency vehicles, and they do this even though an emergency medical driver is blaring a siren and flashing the vehicle's lights right behind them. 

Best of Health for Everyone Here! :)

& Gracias Amigos for your kind suggestions!

GO to El Presby in Condado... they have a walk in care clinic if necessary.
Also  Dr.  ALLAN Rappoport  and Dr. Roberto  UNDA, both in the Ashford Medical Building speak perfect english and usually take and respect appointments.
I also have an excellent chiropractor if you need one, Dr. Jarrot Sierra  maybe it's Sierra Jarrot?)... best on the island. 
English speaking dentist Dr. Rieber  on Del Parque in San Turce.    if you need more info, let me know.

:top:  Gracias Contributor!

Don't rely on 911 or any ambulance service. They may take an hour or hours to get to you, if they get there at all. And you are right, people don't get out of the way of an ambulance. Maybe one of the reasons (besides being inconsiderate drivers) is that the ambulances drive with their flashing lights on all the time whether they are going to an emergency or not, just like the police. Don't even hesitate. Take them yourself.

Hola Contributor.
Please check these links out to make sure they are correct. They are for the recommendations you mentioned. Thanks again for your help! If we need anymore recommendations or you can think of any more, please share some more good info!

1. Here is more info about the El Presby Medical Clinic/Hospital.
http://www.presbypr.com/es-pr/directoriodemedicos.aspx

2. Here is how to reach Dr Allan Rapporort.
https://www.doximity.com/pub/alan-rapop … oport-md/1

3. Here is how to reach Dr Roberto Unda.
https://www.doximity.com/pub/roberto-unda-gomez-md

4. Here is how to reach the fine chiropractors recommended:  Dr Parrot and Dr Sierra.   http://www.tuquiropracticopr.com/index.php?p=62901

Lord a mercy. So true about not calling 911 here.

I am coming to strongly and reasonably believe that the ambulance drivers here in San Juan should be more rightfully assertive-pushy about getting injured and vulnerable people through traffic. If I were one of these in-need people, or had a loved one in one of the ambulances, I'd appreciate it. 

Here's a true story.

A couple weeks ago, when I pulled over to the right, and stopped where I could to help allow a sirening ambulance to go by, on Rivera Avenue in Hato Rey, and during an evening rush~hour, a private driver directly behind me blared his horn, and then aggressively swerved around me, near missing hitting my car. (Maybe that driver should be driving ambulances?)

That sirening & flashing-light ambulance, never made it out of that rush hour traffic any better than us private drivers. This is because none of the commuting drivers, besides myself, moved over to allow the ambulance driver to do their urgent work. 

I have seen many ambulances leisurely driving by with flashing lights, and with no siren.
Are ambulance drivers actually unprofessionally abusing the flashing lights to just drive a little bit more smoothly throughout traffic? I certainly hope not.

DeborahMarchant wrote:

I have seen many ambulances leisurely driving by with flashing lights, and with no siren.
Are ambulance drivers actually unprofessionally abusing the flashing lights to just drive a little bit more smoothly throughout traffic? I certainly hope not.

The rule here on the island is: if your vehicle has any flashing lights, put them on, all the time! That's why most drivers don't pay attention to any car with flashing lights, no matter if it's police, ambulance, FD..
As for the best hospital for emergencies, Centro Medico seems to have the best doctors and equipment.

Here's the website: https://www.asempr.org/

Like almost all government sites it's in Spanish only.  :(

Welcome...
if you need more info, just let me know.

no,they use flashing lights here all the time, cops as well.... don't worry.

and yes, forget about 911 unless it's REALLY an emergency and you can wait....

also, most of them don't speak english well so it's rather useless.

good luck.
m

Gary is correct about Centro Medico having the best MDs and services BUT it's going to a public hospital and it's a NIGHTMARE to navigagate the stupid rules and grounds. .... stick to a local community hospital for minor problems and if necessary, they will transfer the patient to Centro medico for treatment or specialty care.  I don't  suggests you go it alone.
Also, just FYI: if you need x rays, you have to GO to the x ray place, with your prescription, take the x ray, then YOU must return to PICK up the x ray and reading to BRING it to the Doctor.... YES, that's correct.... weird but correct.

It depends what the medical problem is.
If there's a medical  emergency (that was the original question!)  and you're in the metro area your best bet is to go the the ER in Centro Medico. Even if it's a public hospital, even when it's fuller than full, hectic, loud, cold (did I forget something?) in case of a medical emergency it's your best bet.

For anything else and if you can afford it go to a private hospital...

Someone with some of the injuries you describe should not be moved. Yor risk causing further injury, getting stuck in traffic or getting into a fatAl accident. The responsible thing to do is call 911 and wait for an ambulance. 911 does exist in the island.

mnieves79 wrote:

The responsible thing to do is call 911 and wait for an ambulance. 911 does exist in the island.

Did you or someone close to you ever call 911 and waited for an ambulance here on the island?

What do you think? I'm from PR and most of my family is there. Things are bad but never bad enough to move someone with a broken back or leg.

If you are an employer and worried about your employees getting hurt, follow OSHA guidelines and try to provide as safe a work environment as possible. 

Have few employees trained in first aid. If you are worried about heart attacks invest in an AED and learn to use it. Worried about heat exhaustion give your employees breaks, have plenty of drinking water on site. Mitigate your risks.

For minor injuries someone already gave the most reasonable response. Taken them to the municipal hospital and let the hospital decide if it is serious enough to be transported to Centro Medico. If you think trying to get an ambulance takes long, try driving from Carolina to Centro Medico during rush hour.

Last but not least. If the local services in PR are not to your satisfaction. Move! I hear Haiti is nice this time of year.

Knowing ahead of time about the reliability of the 911 service or the lack thereof has nothing to do with critisism  of local  services. It's just a statement of fact. Knowing this could save a life. No reason to be hostile.. You pointed out some very helpful advice and information otherwise and I'm sure it was much appreciated by those who could use it and was a very helpful contribution.

This is a better and working link than the one above for Dr. Alan Ropoport -- https://www.doximity.com/pub/alan-rapoport-md/1