Places To Go For A Bit Of Culture & Entertainment (Alex and Cairo)

I have always been a fan of the arts.
When  my family and I would travel on holidays my mother would take my sister and I to museums, the theatre, ballet, musicals and galleries. At the time I didn't realize what a huge appreciation she was instilling in me. Now that I'm older, I am very grateful that she did. I find that being able to enjoy ‘The Art's' enables me to look at life differently and see things from different perspectives.

When my family and I moved to Egypt in the early 90′s, the freedom of not being  able to just walk out of my front door and ride my bicycle to the recreation center or just around the neighborhood was something that really irritated me. As well as not being able to go and watch pantomimes. When the Alexandria Library opened and the Sayed Darweesh theater was restored,  I would hear of performances and would save up to buy tickets to go and attend. There is a captivating magic about going to places like that. For a few hours you forget who and where you are. Your troubles can be put aside for some time and then turn your focus back to them once you have returned from your mini mind vacation.

The Alexandria Library, is (in my opinion) becoming the cultural focal point of the city. They have guest speakers, movie screenings, performances by local Egyptian talent, bands like ‘Wust El Balad' and my favorite event of all was the International Dance Festival. The Sayed Darweesh theater is not only a building built baring the name of a local Alexandrian but it also represents a local history. The theater I believe collaborates with the Cairo Opera House, some if not most of the performances held at the Opera House make their way to the Sayed Darweesh theater.

Another thing that I enjoyed doing whilst I was living and growing up in Alexandria, was going to the different cultural centers. The Russian Cultural Center, offers ballet, exercise sessions and in my day they even had art. The French, Spanish and German offer language courses. The most popular two were the British Council and the American Cultural Center. I believe they still are. If you live in the Roushdy area on Kafr Abdu street. Across from Cilantro there is a fitness center that offers a large array of courses. Tamarin Center is where I took my first jab at salsa dancing. The partners who own the center are amiable, social and helpful women.

When I moved to Cairo, I became spoilt for choice. There are so many places that offer so many things that it is impossible for me to know of all of them. What I can do is tell you about the places I have been to.

If you are really in to listening to live bands playing then you will enjoy going to a restaurant/pub called, The Cairo Jazz Club or After 8. Both places offer live entertainment, with performances by local talent. I am a huge fan of ‘The Riff Band', ‘Wust El Balad' and ‘Crash Boom Bang'. Each have their own uniqueness and sound. There are others but if I was to list them, I would be sat here for quite some time. http://www.cairojazzclub.com/ ,   http://www.after8cairo.com/Default.aspx

Then there is the ‘Cultural Wheel', or otherwise known as Sakia El Sawy. It's located in Zamalek, (one my favorite places in Cairo) 26th of July street, just below 15 of May bridge. ” El Sawy Cultural wheel is an Egyptian cultural center based on a vision to create an ethical environment that motivates people to develop and strengthen their culture through arts, enlightenment & creativity.”(description taken from their facebook group). It was there when I first went to watch ‘The Axis of Evil Comedy Tour' and the Cairo Jazz festival. If you want to know what is going on there, join their facebook group. http://www.facebook.com/?sk=2361831622# … nfo&ref=ts

I am not one who enjoys getting dolled up, I prefer being comfortable and natural,(My mother strongly disproves). There are VERY rare occasions where I will and that is if I'm attending a formal function which requires me to wear war paint (make up), crippling contraptions on my feet (high heels) and the (dreaded) dress! Having said that, I enjoy getting dressed up to go to the Opera. Yes, I realize how geeky this makes me sound, but I love listening to classical music, opera and watching a ballet. There is never a dull month at the Cairo Opera House. I would be quite happy spending all my earnings and going to the Opera House every month. They have their own orchestra, dance troops and they have many foreign companies come to perform too. It was there where I first heard Verdi's ‘Aida'! http://www.cairoopera.org/

Cairo is littered with historical places to visit and experience. Book yourself a tour with a travel company or buy yourself a travel guide and go on an adventure. There is so much to see and learn. I've lived in Egypt for almost 19 years and I still haven't seen a fifth of the countries treasures.

Te Facebook group Weekend Trips do many tours to historical places in Cairo. You could check their monthly schedule by joining their mailing list or getting messages in your facebook inbox.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/gro … 959&ref=ts

im seriously considering cloning you :P

having said that, something in what you wrote sparked an idea in my head, what do u think of "get lost in ancient cairo" as an adventure group...we'd just go explore on our own and have fun finding out everything we can, would be like a treasure hunt or something....

let me know what you think :D

Cloning me!!! JEEPERS! That's a scary thought! My aim to take over the world might come true!!! haaaa haaa haaa (evil laugh)
I like the idea, I have done it before. The only thing I recommend is having some Egyptians with you for safety and language. (they can point out the dos and don'ts and help with translation)

I'm in :)

For cloning Irish Alex  :P

& the "get lost in ancient Cairo" too :D

@ Irish Alex you never cease to amaze me with your GR8 posts thanks again :)

That is a great idea kryptonite! I alway love doing that hen I first move to a new city. Jump in the car and see how lost I can get myself  :D