INFO/WARNING: Phu My Hung Skygarden

A friend of mine living in Skygarden Phu My Hung had a problem the other night with a taxi who dashed off with luggage still inside.

It was 4am when it happened and she called me if I could come and help so I drove all the way down to Q.7 to see what we could do and how to calm her down…

Immediately I noticed that nearly every second street light pole had a camera or even two mounted to them. So I thought we'd be able to watch the footage and get the cab number.

However, turns out that ALL of the 20 or more cameras placed around PHU MY HUNG SKYGARDEN are fake, pure decoration and apart from potentially scaring away “trouble makers” they are to absolutely no use. The local Cong An also confirmed that these cameras have not been working for years.

I thought I'd share this here because I am sure some members or readers are either living there or are thinking about it (which I personally would recommend not to do). BE AWARE, THE CAMERAS ON THE ROAD AT SKYGARDEN PHU MY HUNG ARE DECORATION ONLY AND GIVE YOU A FALSE FEELING OF SECURITY!

Welcome to Vietnam!

so  :(  your friend that bad experience....

But also, what is she doing out at 4am in the morning....
should be more careful ...specially..at that time!!

Hi,

I understand this. There are many villas like decorating cameras.

This happened to me a few years ago. I tried to contact Vinasun main office which located in Dien bien phu st. At that time vinasun didnt have black boxes so I failed to take my things back.

Since then, I have just used mailinh taxi cos they have black boxes.

But most taxis near airport are Vinasun. I recommend you to go to their main office to  check if the taxi driver kept it there. At the same time, contact Mailinh taxi main office.

I wonder why taxies dont issue the bill with the number of the taxhi on it so it will be easier for customers.

Regards

eodmatt wrote:

Welcome to Vietnam!

No, welcome to Phu My Hung Sky Garden and probably various other foreigner ripoff destinations...

99.9999% of all other locations having CCTV DO record....

sbonilla75 wrote:

But also, what is she doing out at 4am in the morning....

....came back from the airport
....came back from a trip
....came back from late night work shift
....came back from a party

or whatever you want...

but came back to Phu My Hung Sky Garden super expensive ripoff residence with NO working CCTV camera...

Dejavu.dot wrote:

Hi,

I understand this. There are many villas like decorating cameras.

This happened to me a few years ago. I tried to contact Vinasun main office which located in Dien bien phu st. At that time vinasun didnt have black boxes so I failed to take my things back.

Since then, I have just used mailinh taxi cos they have black boxes.

But most taxis near airport are Vinasun. I recommend you to go to their main office to  check if the taxi driver kept it there. At the same time, contact Mailinh taxi main office.

I wonder why taxies dont issue the bill with the number of the taxhi on it so it will be easier for customers.

Regards

That's a different story.

Regardless which company you take, I always advise people to note the cab number and the name of the driver (just in case).

Where did they hire the taxi? (Airport - they will have the number)

What colour? White - Vinasun; Green - Mai Linh; Yellow - Vina.

The taxi rules EVERYWHERE are simple:
1. Only use a NAMED taxi with PAINTED signs (pirates in VietNam use magnetic)
2. Only use VINA - YELLOW;
3. Make a note of the PLATE NUMBER and DECAL NUMBER before getting in;
4. Write down the DRIVERS NAME/LICENCE (operator) NUMBER (facing passengers) - and let the driver see you make the note;
5. NEVER pay the driver whilst in the car;
6.  DON'T GET OUT until the driver does;
7. If the driver doesn't stop/won't let you out - HOLD THE DOOR OPEN EVEN WHEN MOVING. A damaged car is easy to trace - and drivers pay.

About CCTV in HCM
There are TWO CCTV systems monitoring the roads. There are also TWO TRAFFIC light systems. They are operated by TWO different AUTHORITIES.

The big problem is many do not work. They are IP cameras and you can even see them on the InterNet.

Vinasun Office is on Nguyen Van Cu near Tran Hung Dao - they moved three years ago. I visit taxi offices frequently to collect my money. Mai Linh taxi office is on Huynh Tan Phat on Q7.

What upsets me most is that residents of PHU MY HUNG say it is the BEST area in HCM, no crime, and is why they PAY MORE RENT. What will the blue hair rinse people be saying about this!

Jaitch, all of what you said or nearly all was what I told her and hope she learns out of this mistake. She was not coming from the airport, they waved down a cab in Q.1 and he first refused to go by taxi meter. Anyway, regarding the taxi and what happened there is solely her fault.

Nevertheless, as you said, PHU MY HUNG...., that was my point, people there seem to believe it is the best place in town. I think it is probably the best RIPOFF place in town. I wonder how many Skygarden residents go walk their dog outside or let their kids drive around on bicycles because they think they have excellent security and CCTV surveillance.

Does anyone know what a 'ball-park' figure for medical insurance would be in Vn? Family of 3?

KiwiJas wrote:

Does anyone know what a 'ball-park' figure for medical insurance would be in Vn? Family of 3?

Please-
Google search it.
Start a new thread.
Ask the question on a thread related to insurance.
Check Expatblog search function.

http://www.bobberrepublic.com/Expert_Advise/images-todd/1974_Harley_Shovelhead_Salt_Flat_Racer_468x371.jpg

My bad
Posted on the wrong thread...
Have a precious day :)

Yeah, of course it's her mistake by believe Phu My Hung and Taxi drivers blindly.
"Prevention is better than cure" !
Already many incidents reported from that area after sunset.
Phu My Hung and Q.2 areas are not safe places as many of the expatriates thinks. They are 'isolated' and easy for ant-socials to escape after their 'work'!

charmavietnam wrote:

Yeah, of course it's her mistake by believe Phu My Hung and Taxi drivers blindly. ... Phu My Hung and Q.2 areas are not safe places as many of the expatriates thinks. They are 'isolated' and easy for ant-socials to escape after their 'work'!

What's an "ant-socials"?

PMH residents tend to be delusional. On another web site one was complaining about losing her handbag after placing it at her feet during a movie! Pickpockets plague the Crescent Mall. As do VNese 'bre ast squeezers' who go after Caucasian women.

In Quan 2, the newly (ever widening) widened Highway 1A provide a convenient escape route for criminals.

Much safer to live in Vietnamese communities. Something about not defecating on your own back door step.

' Much safer to live in Vietnamese communities. Something about not defecating on your own back door step."

I think they invented " Neighbourhood " watch.

Jaitch wrote:

What's an "ant-socials"?

Yeah, of course it's anti not aunty, uncle  :)

bluenz wrote:

Some guys want to be isolated from others created that 'neighborhood'  :)
Of course they cannot go out during day time like us  :)

charmavietnam wrote:
bluenz wrote:

Some guys want to be isolated from others created that 'neighborhood'  :):)

" Neighbourhood watch " , in Aus, is where all the neighbours get together and have meetings etc, and agree to keep an eye on each others property, many places have signs  displaying this, in VN they don't need meetings, probably a throw back from the good old days, where everybody was a spy for the Govt.

" Of course they cannot go out during day time like us "
Do they have Vampires in VN?

bluenz wrote:

Neighbourhood watch, in Aus, is where all the neighbours get together and have meetings etc, and agree to keep an eye on each others property, many places have signs  displaying this, in VN they don't need meetings, probably a throw back from the good old days, where everybody was a spy for the Govt.
Do they have Vampires in VN?

Yeah, I understood fully  :)
I meant there are some 'neighborhood' in computer!
Main service of those guys are promoting buy and sell old/new things ( even bra and underwear), which is a highest rate than market value  :)
They are colleagues in their field and will ban anyone who talk about justice or against their views!
They simply added 'neighbors' after the location name!
If you need more clues feel free pm me  :)  or ask some senior members here  :)

bluenz wrote:

' Much safer to live in Vietnamese communities. Something about not defecating on your own back door step."

One of the best, useful and functioning institutions here in Vietnam.

l3ully wrote:
bluenz wrote:

Not to mention " free " as well. ( Whether you like it or not ).

bluenz wrote:
l3ully wrote:
bluenz wrote:

I am not really sure about "free". All I know, it works. We get every some month a A4 sheet with updated numbers and some of the guys I see quite frequently walking around with their baseball bats. An yep, I really live in a truly Vietnamese neighborhood full of bia hois, karaoke joints without any mic/sound systems and hair dressers without combs and scissors (a couple of hundreds within 5 min walking distance in each direction). I  not really can recall when the last time where some unusual events with crowds of people.

l3ully wrote:
bluenz wrote:
l3ully wrote:

I am not really sure about "free". All I know, it works. We get every some month a A4 sheet with updated numbers and some of the guys I see quite frequently walking around with their baseball bats. An yep, I really live in a truly Vietnamese neighborhood full of bia hois, karaoke joints without any mic/sound systems and hair dressers without combs and scissors (a couple of hundreds within 5 min walking distance in each direction). I  not really can recall when the last time where some unusual events with crowds of people.

" Not to mention " free " as well. ( Whether you like it or not )."

No, I was referring to the nosy pricks around my area, but would imagine the cities would be the same, but with the introduction of cooling fans and TV, it's not as bad as it used to be.