The Call For Prayer

If you have never lived or visited a Muslim country then the call for prayer will definitely be something you are not used to hearing.

In Muslims countries you will find Mosques scattered every where. They come in all shapes, heights and sizes. They are beautiful architectural structures and each one is unique in its design. My favorites are Ibn Tulun and El Hussein that are located in old Cairo.

Muslims pray five times a day, staring with early dawn prayer, known as Fajr. Yes, that means that as soon as day break is visible then the call for prayer will be heard throughout the city waking and calling the faithful to pray. If you are not accustomed to this and have never heard it before and you are unfortunate to have you bedroom very close to a mosque, the call will definitely wake you up with a jolt.

It will take you a few days to get used to it and then you will sleep through it soundly.
The reason I thought of mentioning this is because when my relatives from England came to visit, I never thought of warning them, because it was apart of my every day life. My youngest cousin, who had just turned eight at the time, woke up terrified when she heard the Imaam chanting the call for prayer her first night here. She sprung out of bed, pulled open the bedroom door, banging it loudly and ran down the corridor screaming ‘The man is coming to get me'. When we were able to catch her and calm her down to explain what the Imaam was saying and that his intention was not to scare her or chase her, she was more at ease and soon slept through the call for prayers after that.

The second call for prayer is the “Du'hur Prayer”, best translated as afternoon, which is presently at 1pm Cairo local time.
The third is the “Aasr Prayer”, best translated as late afternoon, which starts at approximately 4:36pm Cairo local time.
The fourth is the ‘Maghrib Prayer', best translated as evening, which starts at approximately 8pm Cairo local time.
The Final prayer of the day is the ‘Isha Prayer', best translated as night, which starts at approximately 9:33pm Cairo local time.

When the call for prayer sounds don't be surprised if you find people turning down the volume on their TV sets or radios. Some people go as far as remaining silent during the call as a sign of respect.
People will often schedule their appointments around prayer times, so that it doesn't interfere with their time of worship.

Below is a link that tells you the exact times of the call to prayer in Egypt.

islamicfinder.org/cityPrayerNew.php?country=egypt

As usual
Even though I have been live in Egypt for about 15 years, yet I never had the ability to describe it this brilliant way.
So, have you investigated closely what the content of the Calling means?
I am sure you have done it, it really simplifies the essence of Islam, and how prayers should be maintained by people to feel close their lord and compensate the weakness of the humans by recognizing the existence of the one-true Creator.
Some may think that it's too much to pray 5 times a day while in Christianity all they have to allocate for worship is very little time on Sunday to go to the Church.
but in fact, they can not understand how spiritually Muslim feel when they answer the call of lord and come to perform the timed prayer, standing in reverence before their creator.
The single prayer takes about 10 minutes or may be less to be done, while gaining so many benefits in standing reciting the holy Quran feeling these indescribable ecstatic emotions that you may never experience it but at these times.
anyway, I am sorry for your cousin's first experience about call of prayer even though I am wondering why you did not inform her earlier in Azan Aldohr or ela'sr while she is a wake!!

I really enjoy your writings

Hope to meet you soon.

Best regards
Abdullah Emam
:)

@ body_friend
Let me clarify something for you.
The day of worship for Christians is on Sunday, Like Friday is for Muslims and Saturday for Jews.

Just because Muslim's pray 5 times a day doesn't mean that people of other faiths don't pray as much or less.
Other faiths worship differently.They are welcome to go to Church or Temple any time they wish.
Some people go daily.

Just because you don't hear or see them get up and go and pray doesn't mean that they don't. They could be praying while they are sitting right in front of you and you wouldn't even know it.

The topic was an informative peice that is all. Not to initiate a comparisson.

opppppppps
Take it easy my friend.
Neither did I set a comparison between Islam and Christianity; I am also well-informed about the times, hows and manners when you pray.
the whole thing is I have many Christian dear friends, when it comes to the point of praying, they say" OMG, you pray five times a day!!!, in Christianity all we have to pray is on Sunday, WE CAN NOT BEAR IT PRAY FIVE TIMES A DAY".
Eventually, No matter what they say but this is the exact impression they let upon me.
They pictured Prayers as sort of obligatory thing, in your articles you were informative I admit, but I only tried to clarify sth not to set a comparison with Christianity at all.
After all, I do not care whether people are Christians or Muslim Or atheist, all I have to know about the person is whether he is a good person or a bad one. (Religion is a matter of a divine relation between people and their Lord, No matter how they name HIM"

So I am sorry if you get any thing otherwise what I meant.

Thx a lot for your concern

:)

Really liked this post, showed this to some of my family that isn't muslim so they could understand a little.

Yeah I really liked it when I read it on IrshAlex's blog :)

But I really would like to ask them not to use loud microphones in mosques espaeiclly at early morning....many nonmuslims who dont have to wake up that early suffer from the loud voice.

I know it's loud, but this is a Muslim country and if you asked, you would be very disrespectful.

after a while you will not wake up anymore (at least that is my experience)