The Metro-- What are the good and bad points

I was happy to see that Cairo has a Metro system; however, everyone seems to discourage me from using it saying it's too crowded, it's not convenient, only lower class people take metro, etc. My opinion is I'm no better than anyone else.

I'd like to know some of your experiences good and bad; is it safe, is it too crowded, why would you or would not you take it?

THANKS !

Mark

I must confess, I have only been on it once.
If you are economising and sick of driving an fighting the Cairo traffic then maybe it's the thing for you.
I have to admit that compared to the London Tube System and the Metro in Montreal. I am not that impressed.
It is REALLY stuffy and crowded. The smell of fresh and old sweat lingers in your nostrils.
If where I am going isn't in walking distance then I either take a yellow or a white cab. They are usually airconditioned and have a meter.So, the Cab driver won't try and rob you blind.

Metro to me is a "No go"

Overcrowded, the stench of sweat is awful, the facilities aren't clean or in the a good condition, its not airconnned so  you'll feel like your in an overheated can.

Thats what I can remember & its been years since I've been in one.

I personally dont mind the Metro. I have taken it often. I always ride in the men's car with my husband. I probly get more attention as foreign women then you would as a man. Yea it's crowded at times and maybe I dont have a great nose but the smell never bothered me. I would take the metro wether I was having enough for other transport or not. Its cheap 1le each way it gets you where you need to go faster then most other options. I actually kind of enjoy riding the metro. maybe it's cuz I'm from a small town in the Mid west so it's new n exciting to me :D

Yea maybe a crazyman has broken into the conductors booth a time or 2 and run away with the metro..but i still think walking across the street is more dangerous ;) And I'm with you on If its good enough for some then it's good enough for me :D I dont get why "class" has anything to do with it.

oh and from what I hear they have in the works 2 additional metro lines. one that will include the airport and another so It will be even MORE convenient. Oh and I also prefer it over the micro buses. :)

only lower class people???

How do you determine the classes among people ??? and How do you rate your self upper class??

What is the Criteria to be upper or lower class...

Sorry no offence but I just didn't liked this word...its pure discrimination

MLB4861 wrote:

I was happy to see that Cairo has a Metro system; however, everyone seems to discourage me from using it saying it's too crowded, it's not convenient, only lower class people take metro, etc. My opinion is I'm no better than anyone else.

I'd like to know some of your experiences good and bad; is it safe, is it too crowded, why would you or would not you take it?

THANKS !

Mark

it is faster epically in Ramadan but in summer time it is disaster because there is no good ventilation and the smell is very bad may be in winter time you can use it,
I used Munich metro and if I compared it with our metro our one will be nothing

If you read well you will see that I was telling what others have implied to me; I don't follow a class sysem, I see every person as an individual.  However, we cannot ignore that, indeed, there is discrimination in this world here and abroad.  But for me I'll treat everyone with respect in my life.

alimirza wrote:

How do you determine the classes among people ??? and How do you rate your self upper class??

MLB4861 wrote:

THANKS !

Mark

Understood and clear :)

MLB4861 wrote:

If you read well you will see that I was telling what others have implied to me; I don't follow a class sysem, I see every person as an individual.  However, we cannot ignore that, indeed, there is discrimination in this world here and abroad.  But for me I'll treat everyone with respect in my life.

alimirza wrote:

MLB4861 wrote:

THANKS !

Mark

The Metro is cheap, but uncomfortable. Although it can be easier than dealing with traffic, if you're in a cab you're not really the one dealing with it...

I avoided the metro, crowded, smelly, and you have to watch your pockets / purse. The worst thing is the fact that the women are either given one or two cars, so i hear the men's cart is "more" comfortable, but the women are packed in there like sardines.

guys...can someone tell me where i can find a map for the metro on sale ? i got lost for 3 hours today cause apparently i had to change metro's (and i have no idea where to change the freaking thing, and at which stop)....

Kryptonite wrote:

guys...can someone tell me where i can find a map for the metro on sale ? i got lost for 3 hours today cause apparently i had to change metro's (and i have no idea where to change the freaking thing, and at which stop)....

I have a map of the metro on my pc I can send you the file if you like. otherwise each car usually has the map above one of the doors n you can keep track that way. n mubarak is the station where you can change your direction

I found this link to a map online.

http://johomaps.com/af/egypt/cairo/cairometro.html

MLB4861 wrote:

THANKS !

Mark

I have taken the underground from Whitechapel to Westham, the bus from Peckham to Brixton and the overland train from Manchester to Blackpool.  I have taken the rush hour train from Clapham Junction to central London.  I know what travel rage is and I have feared for my life many times!  you tube 'peckham terminator' to see what I mean.

So, my perspective on these things might be different from yours.  I would say that the subway in Cairo is easy, super cheap,safe and super efficient.  It gets crowded, but people here are willing to wait for the next train rather than force their bodies into the tiny gap that's left by the door.  I think this is called common sense.  I've never seen it in London. 

The only issue I have is that there aren't enough stations.  You still have to get a taxi from the subway station to your final destination. 

Also, the segregation is unfair.  Men are NOT allowed to travel in the ladies carriage, so they have to run all the way to the next mixed carriage and they sometimes miss their train.  When I travel in the mixed carriage these 'low class people' are always really polite.  You do get your odd perve, but they are the minority.  The men's carriage is not bigger or more comfortable and the woman can go where they like.  There are only 2 ladies' carriages so that those who choose to segregate themselves can do. 

The smell is no worse than sitting anywhere near a high or drunk British teenager or single mum.

So more subway please is what I say!

I take the Metro,

The main thing about it is the convenience especially if your short on time, I agree to more stations, hopefully that will be better soon, can't wait for the one to the airport "Happy days" that will be.

As it regards to lower class or whatever class, i agree pure discrimination, the same people who are discriminating here will be taking the tube in London, no different here or there. 

Comparing Egypt to London, Amsterdam or the States is unfair to say the least!!! That's the thing about us Expats (myself include cuz i get carried away sometimes too) we compare these places too much :rolleyes:.  When we choose to come to a 3rd world country, we should leave room for disappointment and FLEXIBILITY Is the key here. As they all say THIS IS EGYPT SO WELCOME!!!! enjoy the culture,  the people, the heat, the sweat, the metro, the haggling, this is all part of what they do and who they are. Egypt is lovely embrace it!!!!

:D:D