Breaking the renting contract

Hi,
I have a 1 year contract for my apartment. What would happen if I broke it and just left?

The only thing stated in the contract about leaving early is "If lessee notwithstanding the agreed period vacates suite prior to seven months, he/she will be charged 7% VAT on the monthly rent"

I'd be ok with losing the deposit and even paying this 7% charge, but could anything else happen?
I don't want to be sued or anything!

Oh, I should add that the agent is at the same also the landlord, so talking to the agent isn't really an option. Also, after I first moved in I went back to Austria for a month to sort everything out and bring my cats to Malta. I told them beforehand that I wouldn't be in Malta to pay the rent but they should contact me by email and I would transfer the money. They didn't write or call and when I came back they said that they had assumed I had just left and were already showing the apartment to others. They also claimed they had tried to contact me, but I didn't receive any calls or emails. I moved in as they hadn't rented it again at that point, but now I'm wondering if I would have to face any charges if I "just left"?

I hope someone will give me some advice or tell me if you broke a contract before and what happened then!
Thanks a lot and sorry for writing such a long text :)

much depends on what is in the contract thay you signed....

Thanks for your answer! But there's nothing in the contract except the VAT thing, that's why I'm asking :)

normally leaving a contract early simply results in loss of deposit.

however some people have been chased for balance of rental and damages

some have even had bank accounts and or salaries garnished

so be careful - talk to your landlord and come to an amicable agreement - in writing and make sure it includes the statement in full and final settlement and no further claims will be made against you... good luck

I do agree with toon, it's better safe than sorry. I am also in a situation that I might have to leave my apartment coz unfortunately, My work contract ended sooner than I was expecting and if I don't find job within the next few weeks, I might move to somewhere else. I spoke with my landlady as soon as I find out I would be unemployed and she did understand the situation, she won't give me the deposit back, but she will allow me to stay a further month without having to pay rent and therefore, my deposit will go towards my last month, if it comes to the worse. Sometimes, it's just a matter of being lucky and get a landlord who might understand the situation and is willing to negotiate.

Sorry to read the above mantonas. I hope you get sorted soon.

redmik wrote:

Sorry to read the above mantonas. I hope you get sorted soon.

Thanks redmik ;) Well, I had an interview yesterday for a similar position that I had in the past, so, let's see what happens! Fingers crossed :)

Good luck Mantonas...

Hi , we had a similar situation recently with a 1 year lease we had to break. We checked the fine print of the contract and there was absolutely no mention of any penalties for leaving early.
Having spoke to several people and been told that we would lose our deposit without doubt , we simply withheld our last months rent , emailed the agent and told her why , then waited for a reaction!!!! - to cut the story short , we left the apartment on the agreed date , with landlord and agent both present, with handshakes and smiles !!!! - not sure how common this outcome is but no way were we losing €600 euros for breaking a lease prematurely !!!! - let's be honest here , Maltese landlords are not exactly known for queing up to submit their taxes on these properties and a little reminder to them of this fact , can work wonders!!!!😀 - my advice, be upfront and honest with them from the start but make it clear you are not standing any nonsense about deposits being kept etc !!!! 😀 - good luck and PM me if you want the exact details of our situation and I'll see if I can dig out the old emails/ correspondence etc 👍

Like I've said in previous threads, the deposit system used to be called 1st and last and the Maltese always used the deposit as last months rent.

until they realised there was easy money to be made by simply just keeping it!!!!!

toonarmy9752 wrote:

Good luck Mantonas...

Thanks toon ;)

A big thank you to all of you guys :) I really appreciate this forum!

At the moment I'm not quite ready to move to another apartment but I'll let you know once I do move out and tell you how it worked!