Walmart Liverpool etc. how are these retail stores in Mexico? Your exp

hello everyone I was wondering how is the retail store shopping experience like? Have any of you shopped at these stores? And if so what are some of the best stores or malls? Thank you all agin so much good day  :top:

Like the in U.S. Walmart is everywhere. I never shop there, so I can't say they are the same, but they look the same. There are also some Costco's The malls are similar to the U.S. and there are some massive malls in some towns with very high end stores. Guadalajara has a 3 level mall that has about anything you might want.

We shop at Mega or Chudraui for food and the essentials. They are like Fredmeyer's in the U.S. The Liverpools are like what the Bon used to be before it became Macys. There are many Liverpools. Starbucks are in most moderate sized towns. The prices are generally less than in the U.S. with the quality and products featured about the same. Make up can be a problem in smaller towns, but not in the bigger towns. If you shop at Sally's there is no problem just about any where. Bigger malls feature the high end make up also . Guadalajara has a Sephora.

thanks again travellight you are amazing i see just seems interesting to me how they have alot of u.s. retail and food businesses opening up in Mexico seems like its becoming more like the usa.

sadly yes. i went to try and buy some day of the dead fabric to make cushions for our guests, whcih we do every year, but there was only halloween printed fabric, very sad

Those stores are pretty much the same as you find in the U.S., which is a good thing. Liverpool is a high-end department store chain.

I do not like shopping and I do not like big box stores, particularly not Walmart, the low wage leader.  With that said, I live in Orizaba.  Most of the retail downtown have identical items of moderate quality.  If you want to buy something to last, as I did the other day, I ended up in Liverpool.  I was looking for a compact, quality umbrella, compact because I carry it with me all the time in my backpack, and quality because I don't like my things breaking.  It rains all the time in Orizaba, so logic would suggest many stores would carry umbrellas -- not in the Centro.  Yes, there were a few places, but they were all larger in size and low in quality.

I do most of my shopping at Walmart.  We have Soriana plus and Aurrera here and neither on them come close to Walmart in quality (surprise!) or price.  We have a Sam's Club but I've found that I don't need enough from Sam's to justify the membership fee.  The do have a line of what you might call gourmet items at Sam's.  Liverpool overpriced even for Mexico.  I live close enough to the border to shop their for anything I can't get in Mexico without going to Liverpool.

Tortillas ans bolillos, I buy locally.  Walmart's bakery is sub par, so is Sam's. I can get fresher chicken at a neighborhood chop.  Beef, pork and fish at Walmart are good values.

Household appliances might be a better buy at local stores at times.  It doesn't hurt to do some comparison shopping.

You don't mention where you live or are going to live in Mexico.  Options and experience will vary greatly depending on where you live/shop.  One person commented on Walmart to the effect he doesn't shop there, but they look the same as the states.  Not so from my experience.  Walmart has higher quality food and merchandise than most other chains.  I wouldn't buy fresh meat from a US Walmart.  In Mexico, I never had meat, chicken or fish that was anything but fresh and good tasting.  I need to repeat, things vary a lot from place to place.

Good luck.  I hope you enjoy.

I'm single and crotchety so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Don't worry American big box stores are will to rob people in any country,it is not just a US thing.

Mrjfortin wrote:

Don't worry American big box stores are will to rob people in any country,it is not just a US thing.

I find Walmart's and Office Depot's prices quite reasonable compared to local stores and the "public" market.  There's no sense comparing to the US.

The same strawberries from Zamora, Michoacan cost twice as much in H-E-B, McAllen, TX as in Wal-Mart Zacatecas.  In this case, street vendors will beat the price but quality may be lacking and waste may be a lot higher.

gringo1970 wrote:

I do not like shopping and I do not like big box stores, particularly not Walmart, the low wage leader.  With that said, I live in Orizaba.  Most of the retail downtown have identical items of moderate quality.  If you want to buy something to last, as I did the other day, I ended up in Liverpool.  I was looking for a compact, quality umbrella, compact because I carry it with me all the time in my backpack, and quality because I don't like my things breaking.  It rains all the time in Orizaba, so logic would suggest many stores would carry umbrellas -- not in the Centro.  Yes, there were a few places, but they were all larger in size and low in quality.

There exceptions to everything and that's an excellent.
Last year, I paid Office Depot 250 pesos to clean my laptop and they did a fine job.
I asked a couple of computer stores where to get my laptop cleaned this year.
The both recommended a place in the same block as my barber.
Which one?
For less than $20USD, I'll go with the place that has a history of quality work.

Abrazos in San Miquel de Allende has a fabulous selection of Mexican themed fabric by the meter. Also wonderful items sewn by local Mexican women. The owner is an expat who has a lovely store in Centro.

We shop at Sam's (not as good on variety of selection, but good prices) Costco (Great selection, great food and fresh food ((the only place we have found lemons)), Walmart (low prices), Home Depot. We got most of our furniture at Liverpool (right before they discontinued selling furniture, so great prices), and we shop alot at Sears. We are SO happy that they just opened a Super Chudraui  in the Hotel Zone so we don't have to drive all the way downtown for groceries now, YAY!! The Super Chudraui is quite similar to Whole Foods with a great organic selection. We get our appliances at a local store (sorry I can't think of the name right now). I'm not sure where in Mexico you are, but I'm sure there must be a Mega or Chudraui or Soriana  where you are and all of these stores (at least here) have not just groceries, but housewears etc as well. Happy shopping!

Hello Newbie Traveler! Happy to help! The answer depends a lot on what you are looking to buy and where are you at. For example, if you are looking to buy vegetables and fruits, it may seem more convenient to buy them at Walmart, Costco and the likes, but you may find cheaper (and a better experience) at the local food markets that almost every town in Mexico has. It you are looking to buy clothes, furniture etc. you probably won't have a problem finding something you like in the big cities, but you may have, in smaller towns. It really depends where you are! So if you share where you are living, I will be happy to give you a more specific answer.

Have a nice day!
Patt