Quality of life

For Americans living in Ethiopia, Addis in particular what are somethings that are hard too deal with?

Well frankly speaking not only for Americans but for all those from western society in general addis has has bundles that they would be nagged by like from being followed by street kids begging for money which is bugging to getting swindled while buying something which often happens as well the fact expats are all ways charged double or quadruple the amount that locals pay when visiting historical sites or as an entrance fee for anything that's enticing which I feel is not fair well apart from this there are various inimicals that pound on expats

Ive lived in Africa for 30 years and one thing that I find astounding here is the level of rampant mental illness. The obviously disturbed men, women and youth walking the street, covered in feces, and little else. I have lived surrounded by grinding poverty, corruption as common, and acceptable as breathing, filth, chaos and ignorance, but Ive never seen the numbers of mentally ill destitute as I have seen here. Not in Sierra Leone, not in Angola during the war, not in Liberia, not in DRC, not in Rwanda, Addis wins this sad award. They and the multitude of stray, bloody dogs seem to match each other. That is what daily grinds my soul here...