Decent Salary to Work in Cape Town

Hello Friends,
I am from India and want to shift in Cape Town, South Africa. I have one offer from a multinational company of R30,000/month. Is this is a good salary for a couple to survive in Cape Town.

I have heard the average living cost comes around R12000. Medical Insurance comes around R2000. Pension for the permanent employees would be around 10% (i.e. R3000). Finally the Income Tax 30% (around R7500). After all these expenses I am able to see the saving would be just R5000.

Please Assist me as the job offering company asked to reply ASAP.

Vishal812 wrote:

Hello Friends,
I am from India and want to shift in Cape Town, South Africa. I have one offer from a multinational company of R30,000/month. Is this is a good salary for a couple to survive in Cape Town.

I have heard the average living cost comes around R12000. Medical Insurance comes around R2000. Pension for the permanent employees would be around 10% (i.e. R3000). Finally the Income Tax 30% (around R7500). After all these expenses I am able to see the saving would be just R5000.

Please Assist me as the job offering company asked to reply ASAP.

Welcome to the forum

Try this website to give you an idea of costs www.munbeo.com

This one may help you regarding salary www.payscale.com  or just do an online search.

Hi,

R30,000 is a great salary in CT. Its a good way to start in SA. So may people earn far less than that. You can save well depending on your spending habit.

Best wishes.

Ola

While you should be able to survive with R 30000, you´ll have to turn every penny twice. Check the cost of rent e. g. here. Also decent health insurance is more like R 3500/month per person (and this isn´t comprehensive, there are still self-payment gaps etc.). Cars are expensive as well, have a look e. g. here. You may get an idea of prices of everyday goods here. And don´t forget to factor in the cost of security/ armed response, internet (for costs see here).

Hi, can I ask does this 30,000 include rent as well? We are moving to Johannesburg and I know the prices are a bit different but there is no way that you can live there with that kind of money if rent is not included, as I found that in Johannesburg rent is about 38,000 upwards per month.

Hi Mylandra,that is a very good salary you can make a good living with that.

Thanks a lot friends for your valuable replies.

Vishal, the answer to that question all depends on you. As a South African citizen living in Cape Town with my wife, I can assure you that R30 000 is just enough for a couple to get by with a relatively 'middle-class' lifestyle. Sure you're not going to be renting a house, only a one-bedroom apartment, but that apartment rental will most likely only be around R6 000/month (as to the poster above and the estimate of R35 000, only foreigners getting ripped off pay rentals like that). A couple can also get decent medical insurance for R3 000/month for both - my wife and I are currently on Discovery's Coastal Saver plan, which gives us 'only' R10 000/year to spend per year on doctor's visits ... which is quite enough, assuming you're not on chronic medication and falling to pieces. Medical insurance in SA is really just a defense against having to use the public hospitals in case of emergency, so for most 'average' medical treatments you just have to cover those yourself. I definitely don't recommend wasting money on the most comprehensive medical insurance plans.

I think the biggest issue for you will be transport, because banks usually don't want to give foreigners car loans (at least not beyond the date on their visa, normally two years), and the price of cars in South Africa is really exorbitant. If you're looking to buy a second-hand car yourself, don't count on paying anything less than R60 000 ... as soon as you start playing in the real budget market, you're just going to be spending too much on fuel consumption (the old cars are really thirsty) and you WILL be breaking down. Do not count on public transport, with the sole exception maybe of Cape Town's MyCiti buses. That network is expanding, but not quickly enough (then again, if your job is located within walking distance of a bus-stop you can maybe look at renting close to another one). Don't even think about using the trains, Golden Arrow buses or minibus taxis ... just don't, until you're here to see what they're like and their level of over-crowding.

I hope the above helps!

PS: I think another one of the posters above was referring you to Numbeo, not Mumbeo ;)

Pls am a Nigerian looking foward to migrate to SA, pls can someone help me with the process to acheive that goal?

what do you want to do in SA?

Hi, I am very new in this. Considering a possibility in Joburg. If rent is included how would a salary if 20000 do?

Vishal - are you getting R 30,000 every month after all deductions like Income Tax, Healthcare & PF? I mean, is this your take home cash every month? If yes, you can survive with this but savings will be minimal till your salary goes up eventually. If R 30,000 is before taxes/PF/Healthcare, you will struggle to make ends meet. This is based on my own research as follows:

House Rent 7,000
Utilities (electricity, water, refuse) 2,000
Internet 650
Petrol 1,000
Food for two 4,000
Healthcare  for two 3,000
Household Supplies 500
Phones 500
Personal care 500
Income tax on R 30,00 a month = R 7,000 minimum

36510 wrote:

While you should be able to survive with R 30000, you´ll have to turn every penny twice. Check the cost of rent e. g. here. Also decent health insurance is more like R 3500/month per person (and this isn´t comprehensive, there are still self-payment gaps etc.). Cars are expensive as well, have a look e. g. here. You may get an idea of prices of everyday goods here. And don´t forget to factor in the cost of security/ armed response, internet (for costs see here).

Why do we need Security/Armed Response and what does it really mean? Do I need to hire a bodyguard in Cape Town?

AjaySinghS wrote:

Why do we need Security/Armed Response and what does it really mean? Do I need to hire a bodyguard in Cape Town?

A lot of people prefer to pay a monthly subscription for access to a private armed response company (South Africa has many), which has armed guards who will respond in the case of emergencies. This is due to the country's police force frequently being criticised for having slower-than-desirable (by first world standards) response times.

These same private companies frequently offer the armed response services in combination with a fixed alarm system for houses/apartments, so guards will investigate potential break-ins if the alarm is triggered.

You definitely don't need a bodyguard in Cape Town, unless you're a VIP celebrity or politician, and even then it's reasonably rare. You just need to take the proper safety precautions ... avoid risk by minimising walking, don't enter dark isolated areas at night, and don't make a target of yourself by exposing valuables or jewellery in public.

Dear Reillusioned,

I have a job offer from Johannesburg in an IT company. They are offering me a salary of R 23000 plus shared accommodation, medical and shared car. Other than that, they have a provision of saving R 600 from my salary (other than R 23000), which will be used to buy flight ticket for me whenever i need it. Do you think it is a good salary in Johannesburg? Initially i will be living alone but planning to bring my wife and child (5 years old) after 6-8 months. Please suggest how much more will i need in that case?

Thanks in advance..!!

Shivaansh

Lol Shivaansh, somehow I seem to have become the resident 'emigrating to South Africa' expert, but I'm actually not. I'm just a South African who's lived in Johannesburg and now living in Cape Town.

This thread is actually about living in Cape Town, so I suggest you look at my response talking about costs in Johannesburg (there are lot of other posts on that same thread which might help you too): Moving to Johannesburg

If you'll be getting R23 000 NET with no other deductions, with no need to pay for accommodation, transport or medical insurance (you said 'plus' shared transport and housing), then yes, I'd say that would be ok for you and your wife and child as a basic lifestyle. However, it's cutting it very fine ... plus you're going to be trapped to your work, because other places won't offer you all those bonuses, and you won't be able to afford them without a big salary increase.

Also I'm personally a bit sceptical about a 'shared' car - how would that work, anyway? You'd need a car to get from wherever you live to wherever you're working, so are you and another employee (or a few employees) going to be given a car to share in a lift club? That will give you and your wife no freedom to move around on the weekend ... there is no public transport that you'd want to use in Johannesburg, and everything is too distant to walk.

Then again, I really can only give advice from my point of view. Depending on your current situation, maybe you'll enjoy the South African quality of life. Just beware that there is very little in Johannesburg to do that doesn't cost money and won't require a car to get to, unlike Cape Town where you at least have the beach, mountains etc for hiking.

If I were you, I'd try and speak to another employee of your company who is already in South Africa, and ask them a few questions about whether it was a good decision or not. You really don't want to come here, be separated from your wife and child, and then realise you won't be able to support them with you in South Africa.

PS: R600 doesn't go a long way with flight tickets. The average off-peak (non-holiday) flight ticket costs around R800 return with the economy airlines, going up to around R2 000 easily. That's a domestic flight. International flights will cost around R5 000 or more, depending on your destination. Accommodation when you get wherever you're going will be another factor: the average Bed&Breakfast charges around R600/night per person, and hotels are all north of R1 000/night.

Just be careful, ok? I love welcoming foreigners to South Africa, but I'm always realistic about the difficulties they'll find with employment (it's even difficult for South Africans themselves!), crime and the increasing cost of living. I'd never forgive myself if anybody moved to South Africa based on my advice, and then got horribly stuck here because I'd painted a picture that was too positive.

Finally, if you're drawing up a budget for yourself, maybe Numbeo's estimates will help you. Good luck!

Dear Reillusioned,

Thank you very much for your valuable inputs. The car is actually a rental car. I am not sure if i wil be using it alone or it will be shared by others too on need basis. I will definitely discuss this with the employer. About the flight ticket, i will be using it once in a year to visit india if required.

Thanke again for your help..!!

You're welcome! If you have any other questions, I'll be happy to help.

Cost of leaving has increased drastically in South Africa, by to be fair enough same as any developing country. With all the comments above being correct I would also suggest to view different rental cost from property24 or even try compering industry salaries across the country using zigo South African jobs listing, they provide thous ds of latest jobs within the country.

Lets be positive and allow freedom of movement for any one to anywhere in the world, Though we need to be realistic on our approaches. Also please consider Health costs and schooling as these costs can escalate with time.  ;)

For anyone reading this post in 2018, R30 000 is no longer anywhere near enough for a couple to live in Cape Town's city bowl.

The influx of foreigners, the prevalence of AirBnB rentals and the large numbers of South Africans moving to Cape Town from other areas to escape the ANC's mismanagement has driven costs sky high.

Hello    Iam going to go to  the SA ,and my purpose is to find job in electrical engineering position beacuse i gratuated from power electrical and i have 5 years exprience in this field ,Iwant to know about engineering career in SA and earning more information about city where can i search for job and salary
thanks  alot

Welcome to the forum Ghaseminiareza

I would not recommend a move to SA because of rising costs and the troubles there with the killing of white farmers and other unrest. The country is a basket case due to financial mismanagement by those in power who looked to lining their own pockets.

I have many SA friends who are now looking to leave the country because of this.

Perhaps you would should go online and look for companies or employment agencies who are looking for people like you. Try Asia or other African countries.

@stumpy's comments are entire subjective. South Africa is still the best place in Africa in terms of job opportunities, cost of living and general quality of live. Sure, it's no Miami but it's definitely an amazing place to be. The issue on unrest and white farmers is greatly exaggerated due to political motives but most of the narrative being thrown around is definitely far from the truth. In any I doubt you plan on working on a farm or living in the slums/townships where you're likely to be affected by either of these things so you'll be okay.

Also good to note that the economy has picked up, the Rand gained in value and the general outlook improved since the new president was a sworn in earlier in the year. If you're keen on Africa, South africa still is the place to be.

Closed