OVERSTAY TOURIST VISA FINES - as of 2014

Now this morning it seems like it might be a dead issue.

Bob K

Interesting.....never a dull moment....

Never dull and many times not very logical

Bob K

Tourists & extended staying ex pats (1-20 years) are
caught up in the net along with Hatians.
Tom.

This is true the new laws are for EVERYBODY but I think they are applying in their perceived interests and only targeting Haitians at the moment.
But if it is on the books they can apply  it as they want to
Bob K

Right Bob K, and I think from what I've read yesterday in Dominican Today (http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/local/ … ize-aliens) that they are really after those who came to the country hiding from the immigration authorities (e.g. entered through the woods or by sea) without visa and any intent to ever leave the country, while working here illegally.

Look at this quote from the article and especially the part I underligned:

""A non-resident visa, that's our proposal that we'll discuss even with the Foreign Ministry and other institutions so that at that time the Dominican population has a concept of the importance of regularizing people in the country not only Haitians, so they can have an immigration status and can freely exercise their activities,"

There's a parallel to be made with illegal Mexicans in the USA. The focus appears to be on illegal workers who hide and don't pay taxes. The government will not go saying they're mostly targeting Haitians but everybody knows better. Also we must keep in mind that Haitians, unless they are permanent residents of Canada, the US, UK and other European counties, cannot enter the DR with the same "Tourist Card" we have. They must obtain a visa first. That visa cannot be issued and extended easily. The reason for this distinction is that the DR absolutely doesn't want Haitians to overstay in the country.

However it's not impossible that a Tourist Card holder from any other country could be considered an illegal immigrant at some point. It's probably a factual determination and my instinct tells me the main trigger would be working or running a business here completely undercover. So far if we rely solely on the stay extension fee grid, it would be possible to be a 10-year overstaying tourist as long as you're willing to pay your dues. This would apply, for example, to any individual wishing to spend many years here without ever working. Nowhere I have found a mention that overstaying on a Tourist Card by X months / years will automatically lead to the enforcement of deportation measures.

Controlling non residents very strictly makes a lot of sense for the USA and Canada which are richer than most nations. Would Canada and the USA stop doing that, the whole world would flock in. The same is obviously not true for the DR, where many foreigners originating from richer nations can come, even for long stays, with enough resources to live well without "stealing local jobs".

I've found an interesting sheetlet on the Dominican government's website listing required entry documents by country and territory: http://www.migracion.gob.do/web/visas-ext.pdf

There are 3 categories: countries and territories for which no document is required except a valid passport (8), those for which only a Tourist Card is necessary (145) and those for which a visa is required (103).

As it can be observed from the list, foreign nationals who need a visa - the most stringent requirement - mainly come from the world's most impoverished nations, mostly in Africa, Arabic and Persian countries and of course, Haiti and Cuba. We can guess these are the foreign nationals who'd be the most susceptible of coming in the country with an undeclared intent to immigrate and work to improve their life. We'd hardly imagine an American coming to the DR to earn more money, but that would make a lot of sense if you were born in Mauritania. We can guess those are the foreigners the DR government will target first.

Really good posts!   It will be a while before anything is actually decided and or acted on.  It is the way things are done here.  The whole 2 year visa was only a proposal.

MPD great post man, but let's not forget that there are many foreigners working in Cabarete and Sosua doing anything from surfing instruction to waitressing, Bartending, etc..,,, They are not overly concerned with Euros or Americans, because they can blend in as tourists and there is not the same level of scrutiny for those groups. There has been a long History of Haitian cleansing in DR
Especially since the Haitians occupied DR twice in the past. Haitians are more likely to be stopped by the cops than anyone else.....As part of any of those 2 aforementioned groups, you have nothing to worry about at the moment. Half of the young foreigners that work in tourist areas have no residencia at all, I know one that has been there for 10+ years. Should you get a residencia??? Yeah good idea, but at this moment they are only worried about Haitians, a Mexican stands a better chance of being under the radar than a Haitian....Sad but true :(

MDP and Massagewiz both good posts and I think are the actual situation here at the moment.

But and a big But having the laws on the books gives the government leeway to selectively enforce it either on a class basis or on an individual one.

Bob K

Absolutely  correct Bob, never forget that they can and will use the laws as they see fit.

We MUST always remember that we are GUESTS in this country.  As such this can change at any time.  It is best to get legal and stay legal if you intend to stay.

And the only way to change this situation is to become a citizen!!!  I still intend to do that...........the easy way.............. taking applications still.............

Oh you are so  baaaddddd :D:D:D

Bob k

Yessireeeee  I can be  Bob................   :D

No, she is soooo   goood!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok back to the subject at hand......

Changes are coming, there is no doubt about that.  IT will be interesting to watch how everything plays out.

Planner, that is one thing we can count on, CHANGES
are coming. When is anybodies guess.
My Residencia has gone to SD for approval
after 4 visits to Samana, everything is OK :)
Tom.

Awesome!!!  And yup the constant is change and taxes.....

and death, but not anytime soon please...............

So glad I got my residency years ago when it was pretty straight forward process.  Lots of hoops now.

Bob K

Since we have all of the experts here on the post, I have a question... 

Have any of you tried to go for Naturalization vs. the Residencia.  If so, how did you find the process?  Was the interview in Spanish difficult?  Did you feel intimidated?  I have seen numerous lawyers and boy I can tell you that your head will spin with all of the conflicting information you can get on the same subject from different lawyers.  Thankfully for Planner, I called her guy and he is AWESOME and ever so knowledgeable.  He seems to think I will be able to pass the interview with no problem at all even though I have very little knowledge of Spanish (I can understand more than I can speak).  I am TERRIFIED and have major anxiety about having to go before an Immigration official to answer their questions solely in Spanish.  I would love to get any insight into the process should anyone have the experience.

Thanks

I neglected to mention that I am grateful for this string of posts because I was unaware of the overstay fees and because the Capital is taking forever to process my daughters Dominican Birth Certificate and issues with my paperwork I now have to pay the 8,000 pesos when I leave to visit family next week.  Something I did not budget for and severely put a hole in my spending money.

Glad to hear you are  making some progress, but yes things are bloody slow here.  It can be so frustrating.  Glad to hear my lawyer was able to help you!  Keep us posted.

I haven't been through this ordeal but a general word of advice here: always pick the lawyer that provides you information that you can understand entirely. If answers to your questions seem vague and overly complicated, time to see someone else.

Best of luck to you and keep us posted!

I have friends do it (not sure why) and they said the interview was pretty easy. It was the forms, filing, waiting in lines, multiple trips to SD that was the  pain in the ass

Bob K

RIGHT ON BRO.     Each day is another flowers bloom.   Miss a day & its' another missed sunrise..  If you are too lazy to be awake then , tough bonges!   We all have a finite # of sun rises & sun sets.  Don't waste them,  share them, they are better that way !!   I know, as I sit here alone.

Gypsy not sure who this is directed at but so true........

Bob K

Gypsy, you better leave the big apple &
come here & visit. Just maybe you will
find a lady to share those sun rises & sets! :)
Tom.

Certainly plan to do just that!   Next trip will be for 2 months looking for property for my friend.  Pete was there for 3 days x-mas time.   ( in Cabrera)  Looking forward to meeting you,  maybe at the bar on the square.

Of course, or Manny's.
Tom.

Done deal!     Will need inexpensive place to stay/  A kitchen, bathroom & a roof that doesn't leak.    Don't need fancy,  I carry fancy in my head.    Thanks.

Hey Gypsy!
I'm still looking for an inexpensive place for you.
There aren't many.
So when are you arriving?

I might have one for you!
What's your budget?

$200 -250 max.  less is better.  thanks

Just double checking, are the fines still the same as posted?  Thanks

Gypsy, OK, I'll get back to you in a few days.

Thanks again Tomas.  When my extended family makes the move & we build or renovate, my budget will be larger as I won't be maintaining 2 places. I'll be arriving several months in advance of them & will have removed the expense of this place.   PM me with the casa info. Thanks.  This next trip is an exploratory one for property for a couple of months.

Tony Jefferson welcome to the forum and yes the overstay fines are as posted here.

Bob K

f/y/i....most Call Centers are not hiring without residency visas. So if you're planning on working, you might need to go to the local DR consulate in your country to obtain a work Visa. However, you will need an employment contract from the employer to present at the consulate.

And call centers do not issue work letters as a general rule!  Just to forewarn......

Good information.  Thanks guys

Bob K

And can you pay the fine with a credit card? Or just with cash? (Peso/Dollar?)

And can you pay the overstay fine with a credit card? Or just with cash? (Peso/Dollar?)

Closed