Suburban trains, trams or buses !

Hi All,

What's your favourite public transport in Australia and how safe do you feel when travelling in the train, trams or buses ?

Is the new Myki card or the Opal Card easy to used ? How about the taxicabs fare rates - are they reliable ?

Would love to get your feedback please :)

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

Hi ya,
There is no favorite coz it's all the same "comfort"  (at same cost)

I never heard of these cards here - those cards are Vic/NSW  ..here in Brisbane you can use the Translink card which is a prepaid card you can recharge any time (or buy a ticket). Usually these cards are easy to handle but it is advised to have an eye on the fare/charges ..  (know what the trips cost) mistakes do happen and never in your favour ;) It's a phone call away to get it refunded.

Taxi is a matter of luck - if you have an honest cab driver who knows his job/routes you should have a fair deal - otherwise they attempt to rip you off whenever possible (longer routes etc). It depends all on the individual driver. However, taxi is the most expensive transport you can have. Sometimes it is cheaper to hire a private limousine service if the trip is longer and they got a fixed price hence no surprises!

If we need a taxi to airport (1h trip) we always go limousine service avoiding all surprises

Hi 2Curlews,

Oh thank you humbly for your input and yes those cards are for the Vic/Nsw area - didn't know about the Translink card pretty much interesting to read your post :)

I totally agree when it comes to cabs - it's a matter of luck and timing and yes sometimes they do try to rip you off mostly when going back home after a big night out or sometimes they pressed on that $2 extra charge button ha ha well this is what some do in Victoria but some taxi drivers are really genuine and nice to have a talk with on the way :)

Getting a limo - I'll do that the next time :) - Is there any public transport available when going to the airport tho - like a bus or something please ?

Maximilien

Yes, airport usually is covered by bus, train and a few private taxis (not cabs - airport services) - however, those take (much) longer and are rarely on time all depending on how far your trip is. Buses can be late up to 30 minutes, here in Brisbane, hence you easily can miss a connection.

Check timetables before you plan a trip especially at night time. Brisbane at night time is not safe ( punks, coke/ice heads) hence public transport should be avoided especially when riding alone.

In contrast Singapore is perfectly safe (public transport) 24h a day in most areas.

Hi! I'm in Melbourne and we use MYKI for buses, trams and trains.
It's really easy to use and the fare is fixed to travel whole day.
public transport here is quite safe especially when more police around public transport area in night time.

Hi 2Curlews,

Have you been to Perth or Canberra ? I guess they have different transport card system as well mmm except so far that I remember you have such a long wait before getting a bus in Canberra... been there for a month for a shop opening in the new DFO shopping centre.. maybe my memory is wrong.

I want to thank you for the feedback and for taking time to share all those information :)

Oh Lanny Angkawati - thank you for you input as well - i think the myki card is way different from the old metcard ?

Thank you

Maximilien