Vegetarian? Grown where?

I live close to one of the mid-size wholesale food markets, when in HCM, and I recently found out where food importers sell their products. Way out in Thu Duc at the Agriculture Wholesale Market, which is by far the largest food distribution market of fruits/produce in Ho Chi Minh City.

Often I use the Lexis-Nexis database to see who is importing a product in to VN, or who in VN is exporting what. Though Lexis-Nexis costs, most of it's data is aggregated from public sources. As there was unused subscription time on our account this month I decided to check out a few of my private projects.

It's extremely easy for crooked traders to sell Chinese-grown fruits claiming they are the produce grown in the USA, or other countries with safe, developed agricultural practices and Quality Assurance.

Several hundred metric tons of Chinese fruits are officially (and legally) imported and transported to the Thu Duc Wholesale Food Market each night. This market sells to supermarkets as well as to traders who sell in smaller wholesale markets, such as Binh Chanh, Binh Dien or Hoc Mon.

Retailers, and small fruit vendors in small markets across Ho Chi Minh City and neighbouring localities source the products, in turn buy their needs from these markets and can be seen driving overloaded motorcycles around the city after 03.30H.

Many retail traders will, before displaying the fruits and produce on shelves, discard the individual packaging and even re-use boxes that proclaim the agricultural produce comes from the USA or other countries.

Another trick they employ to turn Chinese products into foreign ones is the application of fake labels. It's simplicity itself to get the fake stamps needed for this. “You can ask for the stamps at any print shop,” a wholesaler at one of the markets said.

The most common stamp has a photo of an apple on it, and 'Two-Cape' printed below. The 'Two-Cape' is frequently substituted with 'Fuji' or 'Washington' on other fake stamps.

China - the main supplier to VietNam

Lexis-Nexis reported VietNam Customs statistics show that more than 72,000 metric tons of apples, with a value of USD$23.8 million, were imported of which 75% came from China.

In the first eight months of this year, Chinese produce accounted for 57% of apple imports  again based on VietNam Customs returns.

The Maths are simple

Chinese apples cost VND320,000 (USD$15.06)/10-kg box at the Thu Duc Wholesale Market, but at the retail level while consumers VND55,000 (USD$2.59) per kilogram.

Then there's Grapes and Oranges!

Other traders claim they only sell grapes from Ninh Thuan whereas in actual fact they are Chinese grown. Ninh Thuan is a south-central province some 362 kilometres from HCM that is renowned for high-quality grapes.

In 2013, 88% of imported oranges were from China, whereas 50% was for grapes.

And you think you can trust Vegetarian/Organic Retailers?

The answer is not likely. A certain well-known Organic store claimed they had "fresh food from their farm in Da Lat daily". Possibly, but I also have seen their buyer, and their truck at a mid-level wholesale HCM market at 04.00H in the morning - and not only once.

This outfit has 'their' farm in Da Lat. It should be 'farms' for the truck stops at several farms before heading for HCM.

Then there's additives

Vietnam's National Institute for Food Control senior manager was interviewed about food in VietNam. He commented that that Chinese pears can remain fresh for five months in normal environmental conditions - after they have been doused in mysterious, and unapproved, 'preservatives'. This preservative can be bought in VietNam where it is injected through fruit stems - typically you can see three injection holes after treatment - worth looking for on Jackfruit and Durian.

Hi Jaitch,

That's what I feel sad about Vietnamese. They kill each other because of profit and then claim "Chinese is bad". Sometimes I doubt if poisonous China products are for exporting only.

I know a family. They bought a farm in Da Lat and this farms supply some fruits and vegetables for them and all of their relatives in HCM. That's a good way. To me, I just eat certain vegetables in the hope that I will die slower than the others.

I know Binh Dien market. The vegetables are transported from the west of VN at 9-10am everyday. I didn't see potatoes and fruits there. It's surprised for me to know that this market also sell bad china products!

Thanks mossie that is all very usefull information

Dejavu.dot wrote:

They kill each other because of profit and then claim "Chinese is bad". Sometimes I doubt if poisonous China products are for exporting only.

At least, with the Chinese, they are not fussy who they make sick - they are equal opportunity people. They kill plenty of their own.

What concerns me is that another 90,000 TONS of bad US beef has been recalled, a single batch of meat that was processed in one day! 90,000 TONS! I can't even imagine what that amount even looks like.

And what if this had been exported? Would they have recalled it or would they have let it sail on to it's destination? Container ships don't reverse course.

And it happens everywhere. Last year Tesco's, an international supermarket, was selling minced beef that was found to contain HORSE, DONKEY, WILD BOAR and some UNIDENTIFIED 'ROAD KILL' plus even some beef - and this was after it had been through several inspections and was only found at retail by Health Inspectors - this was in England!

That's what I'm so sad about us.

We have thousands of people have to go hospital everyday because of cancer, which I believe that caused by those kinds of food. My ex-staff died 2 weeks ago because of cancer at her 30. She was so young and had just asked me how to improve her skills. I was almost shocked cause she died only 1 month after the cancer discovered. At the moment, I'm raising fund to help another young girl (26 yo) in Danang to fight with her cancer. People came to me to get help cause I'm doing charity and many of cases are cancer. I was successful once with a 5yo boy and raised fund enough to cure him in Singapore for nearly 3 years. He came back to Vietnam 1 years ago & continues life of a normal boy. But not all cases are successful.

I blame all of them to VN government for trying to lower people mind and intelligence (it's a complicated long story) to easily manipulate whole country. The ridiculous story about Chinese trying to poison Vietnamese came from them, I believe. One of the results is those uneducated poor farmers have nothing else to do but do any thing to bring bread to their home. Some years they have to throw away their products in stead of selling them even double time lower than the cost to raise them. What should they do if they spend most of their time & money into their farm and die because of that? What should they do if they are the only musketeer in the area where other farmers use poison to raise their products and easily get more than them? Poverty plus indifference caused by low education is a disaster for the whole country, except for the government's related people.

My friends had a project 5 years ago. She was working in a global company in Singapore with more than USD3000/month salary. But she wanted to help Vietnamese. She came back to Vietnam, trained farmers and hired them to raise organic vegetable & fruits on their land where she rented them. But it was a disaster.
- She couldn't rent the whole area and couldn't afford to protect the products cause of impact from other farms that didn't do organic.
- And her farmers was too lazy/low educational to do the jobs.
- She couldn't have enough money to raise all kinds of vegetable/fruits. Customers wanted to ask tomatoes, they suggested carrot.
- There wasn't enough people with good heard, good knowledge/experience/skill to work with her. She even lacked of business management, marketing skills to run the business. She is only a biologist + chemist.
Then she broke.

I'm "drawing" the idea of doing organic. Buying a farm in Bao Loc and doing there. Bao Loc is closer to HCMC than Dalat but the environment & atmosphere are similar to Dalat, which is good for vege & fruits. Products are fresher if it takes shorter time to transport & farmers there are easier to work with in many aspects. It will be delivered door to door to registered customers. The rest of products will be used in restaurants/coffee shops of project, where train/hire poor students. They are hubs of other charity & media projects, too. 

Healthcare & beauty is the most caring issue nowadays among wealthy people. But it's a long way to go cause I have no knowledge of this field, just have small experience of doing marketing & running business of it and a long list of valued customers I know. I have to wait for a real good pilot then go ahead with investment or I'll wait for someone to lead it and I'll help.

If anyone in this forum happen to do this project, I'm glad I can help.

Scarletvn wrote:

We have thousands of people have to go hospital everyday because of cancer, which I believe that caused by those kinds of food. My ex-staff died 2 weeks ago because of cancer at her 30. She was so young and had just asked me how to improve her skills. I was almost shocked cause she died only 1 month after the cancer discovered. At the moment, I'm raising fund to help another young girl (26 yo) in Danang to fight with her cancer. People came to me to get help cause I'm doing charity and many of cases are cancer. I was successful once with a 5yo boy and raised fund enough to cure him in Singapore for nearly 3 years. He came back to Vietnam 1 years ago & continues life of a normal boy. But not all cases are successful.

I blame all of them to VN government for trying to lower people mind and intelligence (it's a complicated long story) to easily manipulate whole country. The ridiculous story about Chinese trying to poison Vietnamese came from them, I believe. One of the results is those uneducated poor farmers have nothing else to do but do any thing to bring bread to their home. Some years they have to throw away their products in stead of selling them even double time lower than the cost to raise them. What should they do if they spend most of their time & money into their farm and die because of that? What should they do if they are the only musketeer in the area where other farmers use poison to raise their products and easily get more than them? Poverty plus indifference caused by low education is a disaster for the whole country, except for the government's related people.

My friends had a project 5 years ago. She was working in a global company in Singapore with more than USD3000/month salary. But she wanted to help Vietnamese. She came back to Vietnam, trained farmers and hired them to raise organic vegetable & fruits on their land where she rented them. But it was a disaster.
- She couldn't rent the whole area and couldn't afford to protect the products cause of impact from other farms that didn't do organic.
- She couldn't have enough money to raise all kinds of vegetable/fruits. Customers wanted to ask tomatoes, they suggested carrot.
- There wasn't enough people with good heard, good knowledge/experience/skill to work with her. She even lacked of business management, marketing skills to run the business. She is only a biologist + chemist.
Then she broke.

I'm "drawing" the idea of doing organic. Buying a farm in Bao Loc and doing there. Bao Loc is closer to HCMC than Dalat but the environment & atmosphere are similar to Dalat, which is good for vege & fruits. Products are fresher if it takes shorter time to transport & farmers there are easier to work with in many aspects. It will be delivered door to door to registered customers. The rest of products will be used in restaurants/coffee shops of project, where train/hire poor students. They are hubs of other charity & media projects, too. 

Healthcare & beauty is the most caring issue nowadays among wealthy people. But it's a long way to go cause I have no knowledge of this field, just have small experience of doing marketing & running business of it and a long list of valued customers I know. I have to wait for a real good pilot then go ahead with investment or I'll wait for someone to lead it and I'll help.

I'm sure HBMax would be delighted to invest in this project, he says how much he likes VN and VN's .

In other countries when I buy fruit, they are stamped - much in the way eggs are - with identification of source, etc. If they can stamp fragile eggs, they sure can do it with fruit.

But, the importers say, stamps spoil the appearance of the fruit! This is bull***t.

There is absolutely no incentive from the docks to the retail customer to improve the situation - every thing depends on the National Assembly to act.

I have been knocked for saying HCM Peoples Committee Health Department does it's job - believe me, they earn their salaries. They are out checking trucks roadside whilst citizens are sleeping.

These guys are the only line of defence between bad food and severe effects including death.

Scarletvn wrote:

Then she broke.

I want to do an Agricultural Business if I still live in VN in some years. There is no union system in VN.  I may need your advices when I make sure everything to set up the company.

Jaitch wrote:

In other countries when I buy fruit, they are stamped - much in the way eggs are - with identification of source, etc. If they can stamp fragile eggs, they sure can do it with fruit.

I also see there are many stamps on the apples I buy from Metro. Better to cut that part before eating. The label looks fake.

I planted vegetables by myselft some year ago, because I was very afraid; when I felt I was very hard to have a kid, I don't dare eat much vegetables buying in market... Unfortunately, my "garden" is very small, I can't grow enough vegetables for my family. I rarely eat fruits such as jackfruit, durian; just banana or pomelo (grapefruit)... I always wish I have big land to plant tree.

My brother has just come here to live with me. He only eat vegetables. I tried to buy shrimp, fish, pork, beef..., but he doesn't eat anything :(, only vegetables. And now, I also eat much vegetables like him. He made me worry so much, because I know about vegetables in Vietnam. I hope I can build a house with big garden to grow vegetables by myselft as soon as possible...