Looking for expats testimonies

Hi to all the expats out there  :cheers:

In order to help some members in their decision making about choosing Cyprus as destination, can you please give me more information in reply to these two questions please :

- What factors have influenced you to choose Cyprus as your final destination?
- What advice can you give to a future expat before coming to settle in Cyprus ?

Thank you guys

Priscilla  :)

we chose Cyprus

1. climate similar and slightly better than Malta
2. its cleaner greener and seems more civilised than Malta
3. accom is cheaper and of better quality and finish
4. similar cost of living although its swings and roundabouts
5. bigger rock in the med  - so more scope for discovery and enjoyment
6. somewhere different yet similar
7. language barrier is not so great really - some of it is fun
8. driving on the left - better roads and infrastructure
9. easier to get residency and utilities

dont buy straight away give yourself time to find out about the island and its towns and villages  - experience as much of it as you can then decide where you would like to live and rent there for between 6-12 months then decide to buy if thats your goal. Dont expect to find work straight away, dont expect the same wages as back home, be prepared with plenty of backup cash to last you at least 6 months without work, dont get stuck in the holiday mode if you must work to stay and live here. Be prepared to make changes to your lifestyle and attitudes, relax and enjoy what Cyprus has to offer.

Cyprus offers a wonderful all year round climate, which coming from UK is a huge bonus for us. My wife and I enjoy the relaxed atmosphere and the excellent food and good wines.

The tax benefits are also an advantage in Cyprus, especially if you are a pensioner, as the tax rates are much lower than UK.

Most people in Cyprus speak English and generally are very friendly and welcoming.  Having lived in Cyprus for almost 6 years we are very happy here and would hate the thought of returning to UK.

Goods and services are more expensive, mainly due to lack of competition, but this will slowly change as the market becomes more open more to new and evolving companies.

Work and wages are generally difficult to obtain here, so be prepared to struggle financially if you do not have a cash reserve.  Be opened minded when it comes to work and don't be afraid to try something new.  I know many people who have high powered jobs outside of Cyprus who know clean pools or maintain holiday villas. This is Cyprus, without out such a prevalent class society that exists in other countries.

You have come to Cyprus for something new.  Be flexible, embrace change and new challenges.  If you can't you have chosen Cyprus for the wrong reasons.  It is not 24/7 sun and booze. Mostly importantly respect the locals, their customs and culture.

Hello toonarmy9752 and davie173,

Thank you a lot for your contribution here, it is very much appreciated !  :par:

As you are talking about the customs and culture in Cyprus, it would be great if you can tell us more. ;) Is it easy for the expats to acquire this local approach? The expats usually opt for which city usually when choosing Cyprus as destination?

What about safety issues there please? Is safety one among the factors that have influenced you before making your decision?

Thanks

Priscilla

Havent really come across much of the local culture just yet but its early days and we are exploring..... as for safety we feel its very very safe here - much like Malta - safe for women and children....

Like Malta we dont really see children playing in the streets or parks.... that may well be due to being more family orientated or close to beaches or that most places have access to pools etc  or a combination of all of these...

i think for us in our later years the safety aspect wasnt so high a priority but for young families its a must.

Am not sure if i will ever grasp "local custom and culture" but do accept it and adapt to it as usual....cant say i understand it all but we do find it interesting. We are trying to learn the language as i think one must at least try to do so and use it as best we can.

:) Gosh...learning the language, that's brave! Good for you.

am not saying we are going to succeed but we will try..

but so far most people speak english so its kinda self defeating. But saying that it was exactly the same on Malta.
Just as an aside - we met up with some guys yesterday who are contemplating a move her e - early stages at the moment but it was a fab afternoon..... exchangng thoughts and experinces so far

Sending an email.

I chose to move here because the running costs of owning a property are far lower than any other country that I have lived in - electricity, water, sewerage and municipality bills seem such great value. Also I have no need to work even though I am well below retirement age because of the low cost of living. Long may it continue!