Which City would you consider best to live and why?

Samonella wrote:

Yeah It's probably because London has a Population 5 times bigger than Manchester thus if they have reported crime 3 times as Manchester,

Population of greater Manchester - 190,812
Greater London - 8.539 million

If I were you, I'd be tempted to sue your maths teacher.

OK, crime will be greater when you have a greater number of people, but crime is still greater.

Samonella wrote:

regarding to rape that's also another Joke story,

I'm from Yorkshire, a place we tend to tell things as we see them, and that is probably the most pathetic thing I've ever seen on this forum.
I had the good fortune to meet a rape victim once. I call it good fortune because meeting her gave me a very good insight into what sort of mental injuries rape can leave a lady with.
Yes, there are false rape claims, but rape is NEVER a joke.

Samonella wrote:

these Wikipedia information's do not represent anything ,

I never understood why anyone tries to turn facts into fiction in order to support their version of the truth, more so when they have to make up facts to support their attempt to change reality.
NONE of the charts came from Wiki, and all are based on official crime stats.

No matter how you try to twist the truth, London has a far higher crime rate than any other part of the UK.
Why would you want to try to push an untruth?

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-37412508

In June 2012 there were 1,719 recorded stabbings of people aged under 25 in the capital compared with 1,749 in August 2016, the report found.

One absolute fact is very clear - London is the most dangerous city in the UK when it comes to violent crime.

Samonella wrote:

Crime rate is just a joke, even if there is any it's because of the youth messing around or dodgy people messing around with the paper stuff and legal documents or simply small crimes such as selling cannabis or breaking a glass after a drink or etc...I have been there for years and it's definitely a very safe and sound and also a posh place....

Are talking about the same London?

This is London in the UK, with a population of nearly 9 million. Its NOT London, Ohio with a population of just 9,990!! 

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e1/OHMap-doton-London.png/250px-OHMap-doton-London.png

Samonella wrote:

Crime rate is just a joke, even if there is any it's because of the youth messing around or dodgy people messing around with the paper stuff and legal documents or simply small crimes such as selling cannabis or breaking a glass after a drink or etc...I have been there for years and it's definitely a very safe and sound and also a posh place....

Have a look at crime in your area, you might learn something Crime on your Street

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ … gures.html

The murder rate in England and Wales has risen sharply for the first time in a decade at a time when police have diverted detectives to investigate historic sex abuse and allegations against tabloid newspapers.
New figures show that the number of murders and manslaughter deaths increased by 14 per cent last year bringing the annual total to 574, or 11 deaths a week.
Officials at the Office for National Statistics (ONS) said the surge was concentrated in London and the South East and described it as “peculiar”.

Bristol! Definitely one of the best places to live in terms of entertainment, night life, food scene, music & theatre! There really is something for everyone.

It is cheaper than London and still relatively close with good transport links so you can get around the south easily.

Close to the sea, the national park and it is a very hilly city too!

Great for families with children, students and young couples!

Bristol was the green capital of Europe last year and still one of the best cities to live in, however I was born in a city and I like living near in the country side. I live in Weston super mare, a Victorian seaside town of 78,000 beautiful!!! Check out my Weston super mare Pinterest collection following the link at [link moderated]. saludos 😀 Patty @Latinzesr

Is there any opportunities for a Chinese girl to work in London? If Yes, I want to stay in London

We are keen to relocate from Reading to either of these 3  Which would you recommend best for mid 50's and why?   
Portsmouth
Southampton
Southend On Sea?

Hubby is a Telecommunications Engineer / IT Manager; so probably need to commute into London for work

We are people and boat watchers.  Can sit there for hours watching either or both of them.  Love Pubs too! 
We love to watch Boats sailing - especially Cruise Ships and Ferry's. 
Currently live in Reading but find the people unfriendly and not open to socializing.  Unlike Wales where we found the Welsh super warm, welcoming and friendly to everyone.  Lived in Cardiff for 12 months B4 Reading.  Prior to Cardiff this Aussie and her hubby lived in USA for 15 years.  Been in Reading 12 months and ready to move on.  Great location for London Commuters; enjoys Thames Ricer and the popular Reading Festival; great selection of mixed Shops; nightlife, Pubs and Entertainment too.  It just not 4 Me! 

Cardiff, Wales I miss, great place and people fabulous.  Shane it's too far out from London to commute for work.  Lots of Community Events brings locals out; enjoys a vibrant nightlife; Cardiff Bay, Beaches; Green space and fabulous Shopping and dinning options just to name a few of Cardiff's numerous benefits.
Can't praise the City of Cardiff and it's residence enough.  Only let down by the weather:  "Liquid Sunshine"!

Aussie Dreamer wrote:

We are keen to relocate from Reading to either of these 3  Which would you recommend best for mid 50's and why?   
Portsmouth
Southampton
Southend On Sea?

Hubby is a Telecommunications Engineer / IT Manager; so probably need to commute into London for work

We are people and boat watchers.  Can sit there for hours watching either or both of them.  Love Pubs too! 
We love to watch Boats sailing - especially Cruise Ships and Ferry's.

You need to make a Pro's and Con's list for each of your desired loccation.

You have to consider, can you afford to live in the area? Does it have good transport links etc.....

Why choose just those 3 locations? Often if you live outside main cities the prices come down, but still handy for good transport links.

Weston Super Mud is great place to be and not too far from any where important. I would choose Bath which is close to Weston but then I hail not that far from Weston myself so anything around North Somerset is great. Except Cribbs Causeway, thats not.

We've chose these 3 locations:  Portsmouth, Southampton & Southend on Sea
Because I yearn and enjoy living where I overlook a large body if water with baiting activity.  Yet be within a easy reach of a major City like; London and in my past: Washington DC & Sydney. 
The area I live in must be of a population in excess of 200,K; yet enjoy a Community Spirit and be Friendly! 
Affordable Living us also a must too!  Located within a easy reach of a Train Station and International Airport and accessible to other places too!  I hate Country Living and Cities that are "out there" and isolated.
It needs to be a vibrant / buzzing area year round and not just during Warm - Summer months.
Middle Class Living preferred; but the locals must be warm and friendly and welcoming to thus expat newcomer.  - As Most of all; I dislike living within Snobby / Rich areas.  ISO my forever place in the UK otherwise maybe I'll need to think about heading over to live in Spain?   This Aussie loves living where it's Warm and Sunny; however, that's not available here so much in UK.  No Liquid Sunshine please!   Wales was too wet for our liking!   Any recommendations gladly welcomed! 
It's 2B my Forever home!  So it's important to choose suitability for today's work and tomorrow's retirement?
We don't have family or friends living nearby; so this makes a different to choosing where to live.
That's the reason we think Portsmouth or Southampton. Both can be vibrant yet tranquil whenever required.

All I can say is, you can't have it both worlds!!

There's spots that ticks all the boxes except being a suitable location for work.
It's all about Trade Off and Compromises!!   

However, Southport & Portsmouth gets us to the warmth of Spain & SO France Sunshine very quickly.

Going to check out Hull Friday.  A it colder that I'd like; however, Close enough to getaway quickly with access to where the weather is warmer and the sun shines year round.    Close enough for a weekend getaway too.   A variety of Boats, Yachts, Cruise ships and Ferry's sail past!   Train or Drive it into London within hours.  So it's location is viable for our consideration.  Hubby's Company's HQ is located in Harrogate and Leeds ain't too far away either.   Have not ventured to Hull B4; so Friday we will see if it's for us or not?   
Great valued Houses is a bonus for starters.   A 2 Level Oceanfront detached 5 bedroom / 2 bathroom house for £340,K - £350,K for example!

Aussie Dreamer wrote:

Going to check out Hull Friday.  A it colder that I'd like; however, Close enough to getaway quickly with access to where the weather is warmer and the sun shines year round.    Close enough for a weekend getaway too.   A variety of Boats, Yachts, Cruise ships and Ferry's sail past!   Train or Drive it into London within hours.  So it's location is viable for our consideration.  Hubby's Company's HQ is located in Harrogate and Leeds ain't too far away either.   Have not ventured to Hull B4; so Friday we will see if it's for us or not?   
Great valued Houses is a bonus for starters.   A 2 Level Oceanfront detached 5 bedroom / 2 bathroom house for £340,K - £350,K for example!

Hull !!! Oh dear. :)

Actually, it's "proper name" is Kingston upon Hull; we live not far from there; the only good thing about it as far as I'm concerned is the ferry terminal to Holland.  We held an Army re-union there a few years ago, I thought I'd gone back to the 60's.  On the positive side, local housing is very reasonable and it's  close to the whole NE coast which is nice, but it's where all of Yorkshire heads to at weekends (whenever it stops raining); so the local roads are manic.  Mrs C quite likes the shops in the city centre.

They're forecasting snow Thursday night into Friday morning, so bring your winter woollies.

Hull to Harrogate will be a pain to commute; Harrogate is expensive, I can't think of anywhere near there that's cheap.

Thanks Cynic for heads up.  Good points for us to take note of!  Checking out Leeds too whilst we have been in Harrogate this past week Sun -Sat..!   

We liked Manchester but no so much Birmingham!   Yet to visit Liverpool.

It's fun visiting different areas ISO our perfect locations to live long term in??

Hi all,

We've definitely crossed Hull off our: possible places to live!  Despite getting to see a 6 bedroom newly renovated Waterfront property with spectacular Views to die for.   'Twas snowing heavily during our visit too!

Although the Central Downtown area was charming; this are it just didn't cut it for us!  I can imagine Cardiff, Wales might have looked similar to Hull prior to undergoing a total regeneration project which worked miracles.   Cardiff has been transformed from a Ugly Duckling into a Beautiful Swan and major year round Tourist attraction.  Shame about their constantly rainy Weather.....   Liquid Sunshine!   

Leeds was an area I doubted I'd feel comfortably safe living in whilst hubby's at work.  I'd rather Liverpool. 

Harrogate; spent 6 nights here;  4 in the Comfort Inn - compliments of my hubby's work; which was within a very comfy, spacious room which included a large chaise sofa to relax on.  Great Full-English breakfast; and all the Staff were so friendly and very accommodating to you every need.  A very pleasant stay here.    However, as a early Valentines Day treat my hubby relocated us on the last 2 nights into the Grand Hotel next door:  Although the Comfort Inn was nice; the Majestic was on a totally different Level.  'Twas Awesome.....   Accommodation designed around High Class Society of yesteryears.   Quality & High Spec throughout.   Even the rooms were luxurious and comprised Quality furniture and detailed Decor in each.  Even the Ensuite was divine: heated mirror, Huge soaker Tub and Breakfast Room enjoyed piped Jazz Music throughout this grand room comprising many huge crystal chandeliers.  Great Breakfast here too! 
Friday evening we enjoyed a Whitney Houston production within the Royal Hall next to The Majestic Hotel. 

However, as much fun as Harrogate 'twas; I didn't think I'd enjoy living here permanently. Very isolated spot.

So ?  Might stay an extra year in Reading whilst we continue our search.  So far Southampton, Portsmourh are my 2 top choices followed by Southend - but SE becomes a ghost town throughout the Winter months.

However, I've also got to keep in mind a location which will require and support the Services of a Cleaning Agency I plan to launch: "Clean With Envy".......  Life Maid Easy!

Cynic wrote:
Aussie Dreamer wrote:

Going to check out Hull Friday.

Hull !!! Oh dear. :)

Actually, it's "proper name" is Kingston upon Hull; we live not far from there; the only good thing about it as far as I'm concerned is the ferry terminal to Holland.
Hull to Harrogate will be a pain to commute; Harrogate is expensive, I can't think of anywhere near there that's cheap.

If England had an Anus, Hull would come out of it.
It's a crime infested dump that's only cheap because you have to be certified insane to want to live there. Drug abuse, prostitution and everything that goes with those trades is rife. Some areas are beyond  any hope, including the top of Anlaby road, a place that is extremely dangerous especially at night.

Most of South Yorkshire and North Nottinghamshire is out for you as a maid/cleaning company would have little hope of working.

A bit like Houston, Texas, - it's the Armpit of America.   

Now I've been and seen Hull for myself; I'd have to agree with your post in every way.  I'd not feel safe either.   Definitely not the clientele base that would desire or even could afford to Contract themselves up with a Domestic Cleaning Service!    It'd be ripe here in a Reading or even back in Cardiff. 

I'd have thought any area with residents who commute into London to work would utilize a Domestic Cleaning Service as they have residual income and value their personal time to delegate the jobs they hate!
So I'm surprised you say Southern areas like: Southampton, Portsmouth and Southend wouldn't  use it? 
But if that's the case; then I'll stay put and launch the business here where those already operating a cleaning service can't keep up with the demand.  My Company will be offering a full range of Concierge Cleaning services and not just a Commercial and or Residential Cleaning Service.