Port fees in Malta to take out your belongings from uk

Hello,

Anyone can give a hand???? I've already payed a company to bring all my belongings from UK to Malta, and Valleta port now wants to charge me 499 euros more, just to take out the boxes, I didn't expect to pay more money on the top of 1.800 pounds that i've already payed!!!!
Any advice to get down this cost!!!
Many thanks
Victoria

If you booked via an agent then they should have furnished you with  a breakdown of costs.
This should include port handling costs in Malta, mine did.
This did not stop the handling agent in Malta trying to charge me a handling fee (even though I collected the item myself from the warehouse).
When I pointed out that it had already been included they refunded the amount.

Terry

Many thanks!!!!
With your information I will try to do my best.

Good luck for me.

Hi, Like you we had to pay money to the port Authorities to release our furniture and goods when they arrived in Valletta. We had to pay 600 euros. This was made up of 350 euros to port Authorities and 250 euros as a bond which is returnable in one years time ( we have to apply to get it back).  We again like you were totally unaware of this requirement. The agent who moved our shipment from Turkey to here did not tell us about this payment. The fee we paid was for a door to door inclusive quote. The Turkish agent ( as you would guess) denied any knowledge of fees having to be paid. We tried unsuccessfully to get the money back from him. The carrier at this end also tried without success to recover the (port Authority fees) for us from the agent in Turkey. I hope you do, but I do not think you will get any money back from the port Authorities as it is a dockside handling charge paid by everyone bringing such goods into the Country.Also as a reminder the fees have to be paid within a fourteen day period or you will incur daily storage charges!

Our friends were in the same situation and paid for the goods in Malta again :(

we have move items from both UK and Spain, did not pay any extra fees, but we did use a Malta company so probably included in the original charge.

Hi can anyone tell me if that is the case if you drive to Malta just with some personal belongings and basics to start in Malta. Dont have a lot  of room in my car so it will be mainly suitcases and a few boxes. Also my husband is a chef so he needs to bring his own stuff including his kitchen knives which Im a bit sceptical about.
Tearnet any advice would you know whether we would be expected to pay port officials and how do I find this information out?

roadtripper wrote:

Hi can anyone tell me if that is the case if you drive to Malta just with some personal belongings and basics to start in Malta. Dont have a lot  of room in my car so it will be mainly suitcases and a few boxes. Also my husband is a chef so he needs to bring his own stuff including his kitchen knives which Im a bit sceptical about.
Tearnet any advice would you know whether we would be expected to pay port officials and how do I find this information out?

If you drive over there are no port taxes and nothing to pay on personal imports from within  the EU, currently the only car ferry is from Sicily to Malta.

http://www.virtuferries.com/

Terry

super!  thanks tearnet for the useful info :-)