Work visa

Hello William, Don here from Florida. I have just returned from Curitiba visiting my fiancé.  I would like to know what the process is to obtain a work visa there.  Thanks

Don

Hello Don,

In order to obtain a VITEM-V Work Visa, you must have an employment contract, confirmed in writing, with a Brazilian company. You can apply at the Consulado-Geral do Brasil in Miami if you're there or in Boston if you're there (you profile says Boston), but usually many companies will get you to sign all the necessary paperwork and they'll apply for you through the Ministério de Trabalho e Emprego - MTE here in Brazil.

See the following link for more information about the VITEM-V Work Visa:

http://www.consulatebrazil.org/

Cheers,
wjw

Thanks William,  what if i am in Curitiba and find a job that will sponsor me? Do i still need to go back to Miami? My profile does say Boston but i now live in Boca Raton Fl. Thx

Hi Don,

The short answer is YES and NO. While you can apply directly for the VITEM-V Work Visa through the Ministério de Trabalho e Empregos - MTE if you do find a qualifying job here the rules are that you can only collect the visa in person at the Consulado-Geral do Brasil that has jurisdiction over your city (Miami). Sounds absolutely absurd I know, but what about the bureaucracy in this country doesn't??? So you can apply here, but you have to go back to the USA to actually get the visa put into your passport by the Consulado-Geral.

Wow! Yes sounds a bit crazy. So i must find a job that will sponsor in writing before i leave here in order to avoid the extra trip back to Miami?  Ok thanks for the info, i will let you know what transpires.  Thank you William.

Don

No EXTRA trip back to Miami, you will find it a bit easier to actually find a job if you're here, in which case you can apply through the MTE here and then you've got to go back to Miami to collect the visa.

However, you still could find a job here while you're in Miami via internet, CV that you left with somebody while you were here, etc. While this is a bit more difficult it still is possible. In that case you'd apply for the VITEM-V Work Visa through the Consulado-Geral do Brasil in Miami instead of through the MTE in Brazil.

Hope it's a bit clearer now.

Yes thanks again!

Thanks,  my divorce in the states has been finalized.  What is the process to marry my fiance in Brazil? Is this an easier way to obtain a work visa?  Thanks

Hi Don,

See the following topic thread about marriage in Brazil:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=280525

Yes, it will be easier than applying for a work visa if you can get all the paperwork together and it's in order. Once you apply for the VIPER Permanent Visa, based on marriage and the documents are accepted by the Federal Police under the new rules your permanency is granted immediately and all you need to wait for is the Cédula de Identidade Estrangeiro.

By virtue of applying for the VIPER for marriage you automatically can obtain your Carteira de Trabalho e Previdência Social - CTPS and work in Brazil, you can contact me for details on getting that once you apply for the visa.

I will do so. William thank you so much for your guidance.  I plan on relocating by late November and will reach out again.

Cheers

Don

Hey James,

is there another place you discuss the process of getting the Carteira de Trabalho e Previdência Social - CTPS - after getting the Perm visa through marriage?

How soon after getting the perm visa can I apply. Any guidance on the process?

Thanks

I'm hoping to be your next star pupil in Late April :-)

You can apply for the CTPS immediately upon having your application for permanency accepted. In fact, the Federal Police should issue you a statement that you have the right to apply for the CTPS when processing your application.

You need to apply at the Superintendência Regional do Ministério de Trabalho e Empregos - MTE in the city where you live (or that has jurisdiction over it). In Rio the address is:

Ministério do Trabalho e Emprego-MTE
Superintendência Regional do Trabalho e do Emprego
Estr. Gen. Mena Barreto, 249 - Nilópolis
(21) 2791-1263

Superintendência Regional do Trabalho e Emprego SRTE/RJ
Ministério do Trabalho
R. Carvalho de Souza, 274 - Madureira
(21) 3350-2741

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

You are the Brazil whisperer :-D

Hi , you can apply straight away for the carteira phil

You usually need your RNE , or Protocol and sincre
CPF
Proof of address-Bill in your name , I use bill in wife's name + Marriage certificate
2   3x4 pictures
You make an appointment with the MTE ministério do trabalho e emprego which deals with these things in your area , not all MTE departments deal with foreigners , so be sure to find the right office , it's usually the Superintendencia regional , although this may have changed.
Process usually involves going there to book , getting an appoinment in a week or two and then returning to pick it up a week later , so allow about 3 weeks in total.

But don't worry to much about the Carteira , we tend to get fixated on it , but it's an easy document to get once you are settled and it usually just comes together when the time is right , it took me 5 months to finally get mine , after struggling to get it on the move (strikes , department closed when I would go there for appointment etc) as I was also trying to get mine in a rush , but once I was settled I got it easily.
It took me a full 9 months here before I had to finally use it for a job.

Much bigger challenge is actually finding a legit job here as a foreign person ,if and when you do that you will find it easy to go and get your Carteira de trabalho. 
So get it as soon as you can of course , but don't worry  it too much