Canadian Looking For Work Anywhere in Vietnam

I've been trying to find a job in Vietnam for awhile now and have been unsuccessful.  Could anyone out there suggest any tips for finding work in Vietnam?

All I can really say is if you're white you will be accepted at ANY language centers. Without any experience or diploma...

I am white and I've been applying for teaching jobs since March 2014. I haven't gotten a job yet. Any other tips?

tdnguyen828 wrote:

All I can really say is if you're white you will be accepted at ANY language centers. Without any experience or diploma...

Only a little 2 bit language school will hire an Unqualified Native speaker now.  Having at least a TEFL Cert can help you with small schools though. ( online 120 hrs, from $265 ).

im living in the north of viet nam, i have opened english centre. how do you think if i invite you come to our centre.let me know if you delight. this is my email [email protected]. thank you.

hoangtu wrote:

im living in the north of viet nam, i have opened english centre. how do you think if i invite you come to our centre.let me know if you delight. this is my email [email protected]. thank you.

Pls help him Winchester, for someone opening an English Language centre , he certainly needs some help.

My email bounced back.  Looks like your email address doesn't exist.

sorry, i have mistaked. where are you living now? can you give your email ? i will send for you some information. is that fine ? and this is my phone number +840977195690.thank you.

Hi all,

We have done some cleaning on the thread for info.

Thanks
Armand
Expat.com Team

Wow,so PC,Armand

Hi Winchester3030,

We are offering teacher's job in Ho Chi Minh City, my email : [email protected] , if you haven't find a job yet please drop me your CV, we'll take a look and might work it out. Or you can call direct to the school at 08-6298-9986. Thank you for your consideration,

Best regards

Hi hangndt > i would invite you to post your advert in the jobs in Ho Chi Minh City section as well. Thank you.

(Moderated: please post in the jobs section)

I posted a position for American Academy in THanh Hoa. Take a look in the job postings for the specifics of the position. AMA is one of the largest English language centers in VN. They have franchises all around the country. If you know anything about franchises they have some pretty stringent financial requirements and vetting process, which adds a little stability to a new venture. This is not to imply that "one off" English language centers aren't stable, but I've heard some less than flattering stories about new centers that should throw a little cautious investigation into the evaluation process.

Winchester3030 wrote:

I've been trying to find a job in Vietnam for awhile now and have been unsuccessful.  Could anyone out there suggest any tips for finding work in Vietnam?

Are you trying from Canada? If so that's probably why you have been unsuccessful. I regularly receive emails and text messages from schools (which I have never applied to) in two different cities (my current and former places of residence) asking if I can teach at their school. If you aren't in country the schools will ignore you. When they need someone they generally need someone right away. There are advertisements regularly posted on craigslist...

The truth is somewhere between what Winchester said and what Bluenz said but Winchester's commentary is much closer to hitting the mark. If a school needs a teacher it is the demo class that usually determines whether or not you get the job not how qualified you are on paper (though it is noteworthy that a four-year degree in anything is a Work Permit requirement so schools abiding by the letter of the law will require that) or what experience you can say you have (few will contact former employers to verify anyway as they are more concerned with what you will do in their class than what you have done in the past).

My school is hiring native teachers. Send me your cv via [email protected].

See there you go. You've received three (potential) offers already...

Good_Man wrote:

I posted a position for American Academy in THanh Hoa. Take a look in the job postings for the specifics of the position. AMA is one of the largest English language centers in VN. They have franchises all around the country. If you know anything about franchises they have some pretty stringent financial requirements and vetting process, which adds a little stability to a new venture. This is not to imply that "one off" English language centers aren't stable, but I've heard some less than flattering stories about new centers that should throw a little cautious investigation into the evaluation process.

Thank you.  I'm being very cautious about this.  I'm not really pursuing anyone who provides me with a gmail, yahoo. or hotmail email address.  I've been burned in the past (no wasted money, just wasted time) from someone with a hotmail account.  If I'm going to be making the move, I need guarantees.  Do you have any other tips for avoiding potential scams or troubles?

hangndt wrote:

Hi Winchester3030,

We are offering teacher's job in Ho Chi Minh City, my email : [email protected] , if you haven't find a job yet please drop me your CV, we'll take a look and might work it out. Or you can call direct to the school at 08-6298-9986. Thank you for your consideration,

Best regards

hangndt, my email bounced back.  Looks like your mailbox is full.

Winchester3030 wrote:

Thank you.  I'm being very cautious about this.  I'm not really pursuing anyone who provides me with a gmail, yahoo. or hotmail email address.  I've been burned in the past (no wasted money, just wasted time) from someone with a hotmail account.  If I'm going to be making the move, I need guarantees.

The only guarantee in life is that there are no guarantees. And you won't get any guaranteed jobs until you are here. What email service provider is used doesn't matter at all.

BTW I made a mistake before when I said that the truth is somewhere between what Bluenz said and what Winchester said. I meant Bluenz and tdnguyen828.

Winchester3030 wrote:

Thank you.  I'm being very cautious about this.  I'm not really pursuing anyone who provides me with a gmail, yahoo. or hotmail email address.  I've been burned in the past (no wasted money, just wasted time) from someone with a hotmail account.  If I'm going to be making the move, I need guarantees.  Do you have any other tips for avoiding potential scams or troubles?

There are a couple of old sayings that come to mind. "If it sounds to good to be true then..." And "If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...." Mostly I try to use common sense and what my gut tells me, but like yourself I have trusted the wrong people a few times in my life, but I always learned the lesson and gained some hard earned wisdom.

As far as non-company email addresses (Yahoo, Gmail, hotmail, etc.) You just never know what is behind the curtain so it never hurts to talk and ask questions. Ask lots of questions and see if you can trip them up in their story.

As Nam said, you really need to be in the country, my new school required me to teach 4 nights for free,  so the school could see if the STUDENTS liked me or not????  , they already had a White faced Foreigner teacher, who had been there 5 yrs, but as I'm finding very fast as well, he has lost interest in teaching disrespectful, spoilt, rich kids, so he's not popular with the students anymore.
Over a year ago,  I was standing on the footpath killing time, when the owner of my other pretend Language school stopped, and started giving me the usual 20 Foreigner questions, terminating in , " Have you ever taught English ?" , next thing you know, I am working at her school on the weekends, however , we agreed on a per student payment, but she seems to think, if the parents don't pay her, ( which happens far too often ), she doesn't have to pay me????

Hi, there are many language centers and international shools recruite English teachers, you can search information at facebook Good luck!

I think you should tell your major, it is easy for you to get a suitable job.

Peter Jones 007 wrote:

Hi, There is better chance to get a job if you have TEFL certificate. I can help you to get the FAST one and ACCREDITED. Message me for more details.  :top:

FAST one and ACCREDITED.
  Please tell us more.

Peter Jones 007 wrote:
Winchester3030 wrote:

I am white and I've been applying for teaching jobs since March 2014. I haven't gotten a job yet. Any other tips?

Hi, There is MUCH  better chance to get a job if you have TEFL certificate. On-line are not acceptable here. I can help you to get the FAST one and ACCREDITED. Message me for more details.  :top:

Bullshit, I received my new Work Permit only last week, and I have a crappy 120 hr online Cert, that only cost $A265 , and took only a couple of weeks, ( the Certificate took 2 weeks to get here from England ).

I ha e never heard of a white person needing help to find a job teaching here.  There is more than enough centers that will just hire you on white face alone.  Sounds like you must brush up on your skills.  Join an local english club and donate your time at a church to build your skills.

You taught 4 days free.  Amazing. Demos are bs.  These centers are paid for that time regardless.  Next time one demo class is fine and paid for I'd hired. I use say I give 15 min free if your a good owner you only need 15 miss to watch me.  Never failed.

Not to mention all the back Packers who's centers just out and out bought their work permit. If a center wants you they will work with the gov to get you semi legit

crazy fuss wrote:

You taught 4 days free.  Amazing. Demos are bullshit.  These centers are paid for that time regardless.  Next time one demo class is fine and paid for I'd hired. I use say I give 15 min free if your a good owner you only need 15 miss to watch me.  Never failed.

YOU are " teaching " English??????? OMG
And I had a VN Teacher with me, that's one reason not to pay. ( I never have a TA in my classes ).
4 different classes with 4 different lots of students
As I said, it was all about whether the students liked me, or so they said.
YOU don't dictate terms to a new employer if you want the job????  This isn't HCMC or Hanoi.

Ya I am .  Teaching English.  And I'm typing on a small phone.  So I could care less about grammar.  And btw I run a center.  My wife and I net well over 10 k a month.  I would never ask for a unpaid demo from a teacher. . Iv been in country since 2005. point being is they need a white face or not.  Feel free to correct my writing and send me my grade.

crazy fuss wrote:

Ya I am .  Teaching English.  And I'm typing on a small phone.  So I could care less about grammar.  And btw I run a center.  My wife and I net well over 10 k a month.  I would never ask for a unpaid demo from a teacher. . Iv been in country since 2005. point being is they need a white face or not.  Feel free to correct my writing and send me my grade.

A much better grade this time son.
My point about English Teachers writing on here, is that they should be setting an example, many VN's come on this site for the English, and when they see a post from a " Teacher " that has spelling mistakes or bad grammar, what do they think? Plus there is no excuse for spelling mistakes these days, Spell Check is free and easy to use.
  My new school is that tightarsed, that most of the time I get the class book, sometimes 5 minutes before class, ( and they sell them there as well,  so I went and bought 2 that I could find yesterday, at another place , of course ), Also no TA's in my classes. ( they only pay the  younger Qualified VN English teachers there 90k for a 2 hour lesson, ok for them if they get more than a coupe of hours a day ).
  " point being is they need a white face or not. ", is that a question , or a statement?  See what I mean??? You just lost 10 points.

Its both .  My point also being this site is for expats to share and relax not to provide free English.  I teach 6 periods during the day and 4 more each night.  And all my lessons are digital.  I haven't touched a English book in years.  Centers should start to become more with modern times.  My wife and I run a 400 student center.  We have to turn kids away.  Just no space.  I live on a 600sq meter compound and I'm breaking ground on a new building come tet.  There is money to be made.  But also in return we have students who study for free.  Their families just can't afford it.  That's fine enough I enjoy giving back.  To many teachers blow though in and out of an area every 3 months.  They blame everyone but their own lack of skills.  I teach listening and speaking.  Kids line up for me.  And I'm not a young kid.  I am soon to be 44 years old and near 270 lbs. But I connect to the kids and respect them for who they are.  This will  be my last post.  I took the morning off to take my wife shopping. 
We rented a large hall to throw a huge Halloween party for the kids.  Should be over 500  kids there.  Everything is free to the kids for the party.  Too many centers nickel and dime the kids to death.  So good luck and remember to give some back.

crazy fuss wrote:

Its both .  My point also being this site is for expats to share and relax not to provide free English.  I teach 6 periods during the day and 4 more each night.  And all my lessons are digital.  I haven't touched a English book in years.  Centers should start to become more with modern times.  My wife and I run a 400 student center.  We have to turn kids away.  Just no space.  I live on a 600sq meter compound and I'm breaking ground on a new building come tet.  There is money to be made.  But also in return we have students who study for free.  Their families just can't afford it.  That's fine enough I enjoy giving back.  To many teachers blow though in and out of an area every 3 months.  They blame everyone but their own lack of skills.  I teach listening and speaking.  Kids line up for me.  And I'm not a young kid.  I am soon to be 44 years old and near 270 lbs. But I connect to the kids and respect them for who they are.  This will  be my last post.  I took the morning off to take my wife shopping. 
We rented a large hall to throw a huge Halloween party for the kids.  Should be over 500  kids there.  Everything is free to the kids for the party.  Too many centers nickel and dime the kids to death.  So good luck and remember to give some back.

i agree with you ,as many things in VN, they think there is only one way to do things, and are not open to change, ( sometimes becoming quite hostile ), I'm quite happy not have a VN assistant in my class, the students start to rely on a translation, and when the Assistant keeps repeating MY words, well, that can get very frustrating.
Even many of the books they do use are outdated, or have a mixture of Brit/US English, ( although I always give, and explain both ).
  I have a couple of students I teach at home for free, and my other school has kids I teach for free as well, ( but only because their parents don't pay, and the owner thinks because she doesn't get paid, therefore I don't need to be paid either???  Because I live here, I don't have any overheads, apparently ).
She also has a Halloween party, but charges 50 k, but with her, it's really a publicity stunt to get more students.
Its always been like a revolving door, probably be a lot different if she received the money up front? I have what I call, " the 3 weekers ", the 4th week they have to pay, so you never see them again.
" Too many teachers blow though in and out of an area every 3 months.", yes, I've mentioned this many times on this site, these TEFL, etc, courses do not help this problem, very bad for the students. They can get quite attached to a new teacher, very easily. Should be a minimum 12 month contract, regardless of their Visa status.
" Too many centers nickel and dime the kids to death  "
Some of the schools motto's are hilarious, my new schools one is, " Quality is our priority ", the other one is always going on about  the  " Prestige " of her school , I tell her , if they are not taught properly , you won't have any students to have any " Prestige ".

Crazy fuss,what school do you own in Bien Hoa, sounds like a modern thinking place for kids to learn. Good to see you giving something back to the locals,as you said most owners of schools are tight arses.

Do yourself a favor and dump the centers and do your own gig.  You will be better off and can treat the kids tight. I am in over 30 million so far in the party and will not ask for a dime from the kids .  Halloween is for kids to be kids.  Not just the rich kids.

Ok, seems that the name of the school won't be revealed.

crazy fuss wrote:

Do yourself a favor and dump the centers and do your own gig.  You will be better off and can treat the kids tight. I am in over 30 million so far in the party and will not ask for a dime from the kids .  Halloween is for kids to be kids.  Not just the rich kids.

" do your own gig "
  To do it legally is a nightmare, I have a friend in Da Nang who only wanted to teach small classes from home, many months treading through red tape, they couldn't even agree on his Work Permit status, one office would say no problem, another would say something different.
I thought I could outsmart the Work Permit rules , ( 1 Permit, one employer ), by starting an employment LLC, hiring myself out, but that came to an abrupt halt , with the interpretation of LLC  up here, you can't argue with a stubborn man in uniform, even if you do have the correct, ( and recent ), facts, I got the impression , because I wasn't talking in the 100's of Millions of VND, he simply wasn't interested, ( or maybe there wasn't the possibility of enough in it for HIM? ).

colinoscapee wrote:

Ok, seems that the name of the school won't be revealed.

He comes from Noneya, ( None of ya business ), a popular spot in VN, but almost impossibe to find.