Love of Malta....but not new legislation? (non euro)

:cool: Hi, I'm new to this expat forum and new to the goal of becoming an expat. From what I've read in forums about the goal of my life (Malta), is that a non-european stands no chance at finding a job on the island. I would love to move to Malta before my retirement years, obviously to gain a cultural experience while still relatively young. My question is...is it true that non-euros are hired on island (too much paperwork), and if so, is it a possibility to work off island, like a ferry to mainland , or do they have non-euro worker restrictions too. I'm basically looking for an alternative, friends have suggested I just open a business of my own on Malta, basically a smoothie, coffee/sandwich bar. I'd love to...but I would love to know I have other income while in the making. If you have any info Rikki, on how or if it is possible for a non-rocket scientist to enjoy life on the isle please tell me...

Losing hope
Keriann

Hi Keriann,

Never loose hope - just consider your options and make the right moves.

Without further knowledge of your personal details it is impossible to give correct information.

It is true that non-eu citizens have a hard time getting a work permit.But that is true of any other country too.There is no way to work 'off island' as that would mean commuting to Italy and Italy is part of the EU with the same work permit restrictions.

To open your own business and get a work permit that way you need to invest 100.000 € or 40.000 € if you have a Maltese business partner.So that might not be the right option.

Even if you were a rocket scientist might not help you that much either as the job market for rocket scientists in Malta is very limited.So it all depends on your qualifications and finding a job off that can not be filled by Maltese or EU citizens.

It is best to try and find a job before you come to Malta.There are several job agencies that will be able to help you find a company to apply for your work permit , depending on your specific qualifications.

Sorry I can't give you more positive feedback on the information you posted.

I wish you luck with life goal (Malta).

Regards

Ricky