Starting a business in the Dominican Republic

Good Morning, i am interested in starting a business in the Dominican Republic with a local resident, my question will there be a lot of legal issues that would surround doing a joint venture with a local person, and using my USA corporation as a base to run the business off of ?

First welcome to the forums!!!    Of course there are legal issues with running a business here.  It also depends very much what kind of business.  EVEN if you run it from your USA corp you still need to register and set that up for business here and you may lose some tax advantages!

So, basic steps - study the business concept and how it may work here.  Incorporation based on your needs - cost depends on type and capitalization. Hardest part getting a name that the gov't will allow to be registered! There are tricks to it.

Then once opened you proceed based on the business type,  always remembering the legal framework, taxation, reporting etc etc.   Set up is critical.

Depending on type of business, location selection, staffing,  MAKE sure you understand the labor code here,  and then all the normal items associated with running any business here!

By the way - this is part of what I do for a living here.  11 years of understanding business.  If I can help, just ask.

Some ideas and concepts work really well here, others not so much.  Sometimes it is a recipe for losing money - depending on your skills, experience etc etc etc. 

Good luck and ask any questions you need to ask!

Gracias for the reply, we are seeking a rental car business, in a location that currently has none, the individuals that i may do business with are local citizens, and they are telling me that there would be a demand for this business, i thought perhaps it would be beneficial for me to use my corporate status from the U.S., but perhaps am wrong, what would you suggest ?

Your US corporate status wont do much for you on this one I don't believe.  You are likely to need a corporation here both for protection and tax planning!   

rental car business is full of pitfalls and issues. Make sure to protect yourself well!

Ok, thanks for the reply once again, what do you see as some of the pitfalls and issues with rental cars?

First off have you been here before and how well do you know your  new "partners"?

Bob K

Yes, just left the country this past Sunday, and my partners i have known for some time !

This is a good start!!!  knowing them really well is very important!

Ok, very good, now if you would expound upon the pitfalls and issues concerning the rental car business please, seeking any advise there is out there !! Thanks

Ok.  Car title - huge issues with rolled back odometers, cars written off in USA, fixed and sold here as no accident..... lots of issues when buying vehicles.  Be very careful.

Tourists dont know how to drive here , lots of accidents, lots of headaches.

Lots of scams with rental cars , i.had one tried on me years ago.  Rental.car was stolen by the owners and tried to hold me responsible.... quite a story.  Didnt work out well for them. 

Insurance issues - negotiate with a good provider.

Constant need of.maintenance!!!!!

If you cater to tourists and visitors - cashflow for.low and shoulder season.

Those are off the top of my head.  Now add partners, staff, taxation and reporting....

Make sure you stay legal.

Thank you ! Well aware of the driving, as i rented a car in Santo Domingo, and had driven through central and eastern portions of the country, the signage in the country is dismal. I understand the problems with car purchases and maintenance, also the insurance could be a factor, you're correct that one will have to do there due dilligence, perhaps you have another idea business wise to pursue !!

I own a trucking and truck brokering business in the USA !

Cool.  Yes I have lots of ideas but I do not discuss them on open forums.  I will message you!

Ok, that is much appreciated. Thank you !

One thing I have learned here is to always do everything you can by contract with a good attorney and get an accountant involved right away.  This advice is particularly important when hiring people who work with you.  Also, find a good lawyer to advise about the most appropriate corporate structure and how to register your business and give you advice about the laws regarding operating your business.  It seems more expensive at the beginning but in the end you will be grateful to have avoided lots of problems down the road.

Thank You for the advise !

do i need to be a resident to work as s singer?
looking for a absentee managment business to start with all nessesary over seeing by trusted freinds and or cameras and checks and balences for secutrtiy

In order to work here in any capacity - legally - you need residencia. 

Not sure I understand your other comment - you  looking for a company to manage your company when you are not here?

Checks and balances are critical here EVEN when you are here as you cannot see everything all the time.  And be careful of "trusted" friends.  It can be an eye opener.......

yes i know money changes everything
i was thinkig a real banco lottery something were checks and balences dont alow for thef or embeselment
or a  concho licence no cab just the lease of the licence I caluclated  aprox 8%- 10%  return
but i dont know all the detailes of either

last resort as i  am a profecinal singer /piano player a american jazz   bar for tourestes this i would be at and watch over 110 % no absentee management
open to sugestions as  i have some capital to invest and rents and labor are cheep ?????????????

How many times have you visited? How long have you stayed? What area?

Lotto - tough to get a license.  Motoconcho - would not touch that.  Lots of issues as normally license and bike rent together and they drive the crap out of them.

One of our posters is looking for musicians. I will let him know.

how does a person get residence and how does a person open a business? how do we register a personal name or something?

Here is the thread on residencia  https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=385083

To open a business you get yourself a lawyer, do not try that alone.  If you want a referral let me know. You cannot register a personal name unless you have residencia, assuming you want to be self employed or something similar. YOur business can't be just your name if you incorporate, it needs to say something about what you do. Like John Doe Importing..... etc.

thanks playing piano and singimg ios what i realy love to do and my best talent.                       
I know almost 400 songs and i am selfcontained ( I dont need anything but an electical outlet to play and sing
its  lots of American standards, Jazz,clasisc rock, Motown,R&B, Soul,Country,Oldies etc

Excellent!!!

Hello everyone. I know it has been a minute since I last communicated here, but I have a home-base pc repair business here in the US and most of my business is from word of mouth. So basically You need a laptop or desktop repaired or upgraded, I give you my price for the service, complete the service and receive the pay. Can the same be done in DR or do I have to go through the whole business process? I have computer certifications(4) and a BS degree in computer information science.

You can likely do the same thing here. I am your first customer can you fix my surface pro 3???

I will do that. Let me know the problem. When I am not there, I also give free advice. I do not charge for every call. It is just good customer service. The business will come. My email address is [email protected]. Anyone there who is interested I will let you know when I am in DR. Also I am Dell certified.

Thanks! Please put an ad i  the business classified section with your contact info!!!

Will do.

Hello I have my own heating and a/c business here in here in the us could I bring that there and start over? Ive visted The domincan republic a few times and would love to open my business there.

I don't see why not but please start in the Punta Cana area.  We need someone that is reliable, honest and knows what they are doing.  Kind of unheard of here... 1f923.svg

So you can open a business here!  That is not difficult, I have done many!   As an expat you can own your business but not "work" in your business legally without residency.  There are ways to make everything function though. 

If you need more specific info honey message me privately!

@richewert

Hi Rich if I were you I wouldn't run any businesses from the states, and if you are not able to  have your boots on the ground here  ,you should really think this out you need to to b here at least three weeks out of every month to watch everyone  ,partners , workers, suppliers, customer merchandise  it's mention all the time here “trust no one here ,  especially when it comes to money

absolutely correct!   It is very very hard to run any business from a distance!

@rb87 two things to keep in mind - heat isn't in demand here!

Almost all AC in this country is with split units. Even million-dollar homes have split units in the bedrooms, some in the living rooms. If your experience is with central AC, your market will be primarily limited to larger businesses.