We have arrived!

So we are finally here in south jakarta,arrived early hours Monday morning to  a humid climate of 28 degrees but honestly,it's not bad at all! Gotta check out some sights having one too many bad experiences with the food,the menus are Indonesian in some places and people don't really speak English. Suggestions for good food,cheap markets for shopping and also need to start swim lessons with my toddler,any ideas please!!!!

Welcome to Jakarta   :top:

Are you here on holiday or for a longer period of time ??

South Jakarta is quite a big area perhaps you can more specify where you stay, it would make things a little easier for the forum members to give you idea about restaurants respectively good food, markets for shopping.

well depend where you live?which part of jakarta?name? most fine dining resto or bar hundred of them all over cities have staff speaking english. But if you go to cheap low quality next door food stall they sure dont speak english. Just mention ur area i probably can list some closest proper resto

If you live in or around Kemang area you can try Toscana or Atavola for Italian Restaurant, Anatolia for Turkish food, Kinara or Eastern Promise for Indian food, Sate Senayan or Prestige Dining for Indonesian food. Cheap markets are everywhere, but is this for food or clothes? You can go to Ambasador mall, ITC Kuningan, Plaza Festival Kuningan. Swim lesson I am not sure where.

Enjoy Jakarta!

Sophie Fisher wrote:

If you live in or around Kemang area you can try Toscana or Atavola for Italian Restaurant, Anatolia for Turkish food, Kinara or Eastern Promise for Indian food, Sate Senayan or Prestige Dining for Indonesian food. Cheap markets are everywhere, but is this for food or clothes? You can go to Ambasador mall, ITC Kuningan, Plaza Festival Kuningan. Swim lesson I am not sure where.

Enjoy Jakarta!

like this coment! :)

Evash Hetti wrote:

So we are finally here in south jakarta,arrived early hours Monday morning to  a humid climate of 28 degrees but honestly,it's not bad at all! Gotta check out some sights having one too many bad experiences with the food,the menus are Indonesian in some places and people don't really speak English. Suggestions for good food,cheap markets for shopping and also need to start swim lessons with my toddler,any ideas please!!!!

. Well it's depends where U lived, first time we arrived jakarta we stay at 5 star hotel for more than 1year, so we weren't bothered by staff restaurant who can't speak English, or indonesian menu. We can get all western food Easily. Swiming lessons available everyday, just need to book from our room, spa available everyday, international breakfast and everythings u need they'll help. Everything was easy. But if u wanna start Ur adventure in jakarta, it's gonna be a great idea, plenty things to discovered here. For restaurant, senopati and kemang is quite popular for expatriates and mostly their staf able to speak English. And not too expensive. If u talking about foodstall at the roadside, forget it! Wanna buy everythings cheap? As my friends mentioned above, itc, ambassador, fatmawati, giant, Carrefour, U can get everything cheaper.  For me as well, never been trying traditional market, I'm happy enough with kemchick in pasific place. For swimming lessons, it's depends (again) lol. If ur place got swimming pool, U just need to post an ads in this forum for swimming trainer who able come to Ur place, or search in Google. Lol! But if u don't have swimming pool, U still able send Ur kid to join swimming club, trying Mr.Google as well about swimming club nearby. If u still confuse about basic life in jakarta, please read lukereg blog, or asking mas Fred, he is our local expat, Lol :D