GOOD NEWS FOR PIO

Hello All
GOVT OF INDIA IS UPDATING VISA RULES INCLUDING  PIO .

Here are the details of PIO which might help expats

DETAILS :
Persons of Indian Origin Card (PIO Card) is a form of identification issued to a Person who holds a passport in another country other than Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, China, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka.

Conditions

The conditions for issuing a PIO card to a person are that:

The person ever held an Indian passport

The person's parents or grandparents or great grandparents were born in and permanent residents of India and never moved to
(i.e. were never nationals of) Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, China, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka
this list is gonna be updated

The person is the spouse of a citizen of India
i.e THIS WILL HELP EXPATS WHO ARE MARRIED TO A INDIAN
so they  QUALIFY FOR A PIO

The PIO Card Program came into effect on 15 September 2002.

various benefits available to a PIO cardholders are:

No visa required for visiting India during the period of validity of PIO Card.

Exemption from the requirement of registration if stay in India does not exceed 6 months.
Should the continuous stay exceed six months, registration will be required within 30 days of the expiry of six months with the concerned Foreigners Registration Officer.

Now after change in rules THEY WILL GET LIFELONG VISA , NO REGISTRATION REQUIRED

Parity with non-resident Indians in respect of facilities available to the latter in economic, financial and educational fields.
( YOU CAN OPEN BANK ACCOUNTS )

All facilities in the matter of acquisition, holding, transfer and disposal of immovable properties in India except in matters relating to the acquisition of agricultural/plantation properties
(IN SHORT YOU CAN BUY PROPERTY , MAKE INVESTMENTS WITH UR HUSBAND/WIFE)

Facilities available to children for getting admission to educational institutions in India including medical colleges, engineering colleges, Institutes of Technology, Institutes of Management etc. under the general categories.
(FOR YOUR CHILDREN)

Facilities available under the various housing schemes of LIC, State Governments and other Government agencies.(lic: life insurance corporation)

Regards

I heard about this at about the same time that Modi was in New York.
I then went to IndiaMike.com to find out the ramifications of this, and to find out whether or not it was recommended to me. I am a Caucasian American male living in Kolkata with my India wife. I had applied for a PIO card several years ago, and for several years in dealing with Rosemary's baby (i.e., the child of Satan) at the Kolkata FRRO, I gave up, and decided that the Entry Visa was easier and quicker. 8 months later, they are still the children of Satan there.
Regardless, IndiaMike takes a pessimistic view of this change. They seem to believe that it will be far more difficult to obtain the PIO/OCI card, and that the marriage qualification will most like be done away with.
Is there any verification that the marriage qualification will remain intact?

Hi mickey( like your name. my favourite actor is mickey rourke)

are you on  work /ENTRY/TOURIST VISA
By Oct end, everything will materialize.

you will get lifelong. no more 15 years

and yes, the marriage clause of one year is also being reconsidered.
ministry is thinking of making it 6 months instead of 1 year or might remove the clause

So by November , i would say you get it done from delhi
saw your profile which mentions you are from kolkatta ,
but if you get it done from delhi, it will be faster
cause any complaints by the delhi FRRO specially delhi office will go to Mr Modi and unlike other frro offices,
Delhi office frro employees wont have that attitude unlike other frro office say kolkatta office where i am sure you could have  had a bad experience.
now even employees are coming on time . govt employees. this is something new
i am talking about central govt offices .
not state govt like police since we have a federal structure
and centre cant interfere in state govt dept
like how many years ago a central govt dept officers refused to listen to a state govt CM and said they are under central govt .

anyways you apply in couple of months and get it done from delhi will be my advice

regards