A quick hello... from a young British family considering a move to Oz

Hi,

We are a young family of three considering a move to OZ through a sponsored VISA for dad working in IT Recruitment.

We need to consider every possible part of relocating to Oz and would appreciate any tips and help.

Its likely that Sydney would be the place we would settle. I would really like to know about the quality of life and also life for kids as our baby is currently 3 months old.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and I will look forward to hearing from you.

Welcome on Expat-blog mattystedman! :) I wish you good luck! :)

Hi there
Life in oz for a young child is great.lots of open spaces parklands and many playgrounds especially on the beautiful northern beaches where I live and work
northernbeachesknow-how.com.au

Hi Matt, Jade & Jessica,
I am a Sydney resident and a world traveller. We are also a family of 3. My son is 4+.
Sydney is a great place for families and kids. If you are coming here from the UK, you will appreciate the mild weather and the greenery that surrounds the city. There are lots of parks and playgrounds for kids all over Sydney.
We live 7 km out of the city. It is a 25 minute bus ride in the morning and a 20-25 minute ferry ride. We live in an inner western suburb called Russell Lea. It is also quite close to the water. Lots of walk ways and cycle paths around for those who enjoy that lifestyle.
I work for a bank (in IT) in the city. I also deal with a lot of IT recruiters. So, if you tell me the company you will be working for, I probably know someone there.
The style of accommodation you can find around Sydney varies quite a bit. Around where we live, apartments are quite common. They come in all shapes and sizes (one, two bedrooms). The 3 bedroom apartments are not that common, but they do exist. You can have a scan on www.domain.com.au.
A place with at least a small back yard is ideal when you have kids. If this is the case, you have a choice of either town houses (less common than apartments) and free standing houses. The townhouses tend to be in groups. So you also inherit fairly close neighbours.
We live in a 3 bedroom townhouse in a complex with a tennis courts, heated pool and gym. 15 minutes drive to the city and 25 minuet bus ride. Plenty of space for the little ones to play in the back yard or within the complex or just outside (parks and playgrounds) – there are 3 of them within walking distance.
If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at [email protected].
We are about to re-locate to Vietnam for two years and are putting up our place for rent. It is fully furnished. In case you are interested, let me know.