Getting married with tourist visa in Norway

Is it okay to get married in norway with a tourist visa? What are the consequences if we do so?

yes it is possible to get married as long as u start the paper works once u get here. first ask your fiancé to call Skatteetaten or check their website to know the documents you need to prepare but mostly it will be:

1.your birth certificate and certificate of no marriage from your home country which is authenticated for using abroad.(red ribbon)

2. bridal declaration (from both parties accomplished by friends that are of legal age; forms are on the site of Skatteetaten)

3. personal declaration (accomplished by bride and groom; forms also on website)

4. proof of ur legal stay which is your visa

submit this on ur local skatteetaten office. as for the consequence in my opinion its the stress in catching up deadlines if you wish to switch visa from tourist to family reunification after getting married.

I hope this helps have a nice day

hi are14.
you can check this site: Skatteetaten-marriage with a foreign national in norway

Hi stephy.
helpful info. as always :)
just a question,

stephy25 wrote:

2. bridal declaration (from both parties accomplished by friends that are of legal age; forms are on the site of Skatteetaten)

these friends, are these the same people who will appear as "witnesses" on the actual wedding/marriage?

So far I haven't read any further information in their website of the one to fill up the forms should also be the witnesses.
As for my case it happens to be that for us it will be the same coz our witness are close friends who we asked to fill out the bridal declaration.

In my opinion it may be different because after filing at skatteetaten and u get the test certificate u can go to your chosen wedding official for your choice of schedule, they didn't mention a rule "to bring bring those who filled up ur bridal dec"

But to be sure ask Skatteetaten or your wedding official as it might differ from areas to areas :) or if you don't like the hassle of calling offices make ur witnesses the same as those who will fill up.

I hope this helps ^_^

stephy25 wrote:

4. proof of ur legal stay which is your visa

Thanks a lot, that is really informative...

And about the "legal stay".. wouldnt they ask for a fiance visa or engagement permit? Coz im only there as a tourist and not getting married, im really afraid too, if we are going to apply for a family reunification, they would find out that we got married there with tourist visa and that may cause maybe sending our papers to UDI and that would take a very long time..  compared to  if the norwegian embassy will decide.. that will take a little short time i think..

:)

As for being on a tourist visa I have been told by several pinays around Straume that they got married while on tourist visa they just brought the needed papers to Skatteetaten.

Regarding the application for changing visa status, once u get married u can apply in the Portal to get a schedule in the politi in your area for family reunification and as long as u are able to file in an application you will be allowed to stay in Norway even if your tourist visa expires the down side is you must stay inside Norway while u haven't gotten any result because once u go back home you will not be able to come back until the result of your visa.

I believe application process in the embassy in Manila is a little unstable, from the posts that I have read some gets fast results and some needed waiting. Some gets forwarded to UDI without them knowing why, and some gets processed there at the embassy.

For short if you are worrying about being processed under UDI, I cannot give you any assurance how to get fast results as it differs with every applicants whether u get married here or in the Philippines and whether you apply from here or there.

As for me I was able to to apply for fiance permit while on my last week of tourist visa, and this month when we followed up the result UDI advised us to get married and change our application to family reunification because they said that is more practical and convenient, so even if I don't have any visa now I just presented the DUF number at skatteetaten as proof of my legal stay and they didn't ask anything.

so if it's just a matter of yes or no when it comes to the question "If you can get married while on tourist visa here in Norway?" then the answer is Yes I have met and talked to several ones who did .

I hope this helps. you can on me anytime and I'll try to help if I can . :)

For no conflicts.. I advice to just take the normal and right process. What you will apply is what to get... Its not hard to apply for engagement permet though.. I applied for it just a few months ago at the embassy with all the requirements.. And I got the result after a weak... And I'm here now... Just waiting to get marred thisjJanuary...

Aaahh.. thank you very much.. really..im very thankful.. you are very helpful..

:)
God bless you..

No problem...:))
Im glad that i can help

stephy25 wrote:

As for being on a tourist visa I have been told by several pinays around Straume that they got married while on tourist visa they just brought the needed papers to Skatteetaten.

Thank you very much.. you are very helpful and informative as always.. thanks a lot..

God bless you :)

Well... May I ask if you had ask them when was that? How many years ago was it happen.. Because the Norwegian change their law every year..as the law chance The embassy change their system also.. Last year I just subnet my application for my tourist visa in the Consulate in Cebu and just wait for the result.. Which is not hard at all.. But now when I apply my fiancee visa the consulate said that they had change the system now and all the applicant need to apply at the embassy to take thumbmarks and photograph. But when you will apply again after that you can then easyly submmet it to the consulate..

My question is now.:
1)If you are planing to get married here why you don't apply for the right visa? If you have bf here and you can provide the requirements.
2) have you been preaparing your application now?

The Filipinas that have done the process did it February of this year so it's quite updated, and like I've said it wouldn't hurt to make calls to proper authorities as it "differs" from case to case also there is nothing that would assure a very fast result.

regarding the changing of location in application from Cebu to Manila embassy i believe they were collecting the biometrics because they are trying/starting to make a central data bank of the tourists/migrants that come and go in their country that's why after doing this in Manila embassy you can go back to Cebu for future transactions. In my opinion the system of application is satisfying as they just change some parts of the requirements and process, the thing that continuously varies is the amount of time the result comes out which is a common complaint of the applicants if you can see in the other forums here.

The important part is to get all the requirements needed and submit it when ready, based on reading on different forums many pinays have their files/requirements complete but still they are waiting.
Glad to help have a nice day :)

It is optional and by the decision making of the person who will apply..
If that what you think the fastest and right thing to do. Then no one can tell to do what is what... im just saying...

It is always the decision of the person, no one here is telling anyone what to do.

As far as im concerned I am just simply answering and participating in the question asked on this forum as far as my knowledge can answer hoping that I could help.

and just to clear things out i never imposed that my advise was the fastest nor the righteous way it is "just" and "always" will be an option.

And as many times that I have mentioned, I cannot give any advise on how to get a fast result because no one can assure that.

Everyone is entitled to have their opinions as long as we all have the same intention of helping. have a nice day. ^_^

Yeah...that is right ;)
Anyones openion as always counted.

i dont think there's anything illegal in getting married in Norway while on a Schengen Visit Visa..

an engagement permit is advised to those getting married AND planning to settle in Norway afterwards... but if u plan on going back to the Phils after the wedding, then Schengen visit visa is enough..

but take note that after marrying a Norwegian it doesnt automatically grant you a residence permit... u will have to go thru the application process, and yes, thats for the Family Reunification permit... which currently, based on the UDI site, allows u to apply while in norway if ur a skilled worker with a valid stay in Norway... otherwise, u will have to go back home and apply thru the embassy :)

i have all read this frm the UDI site, but of course, getting first-hand info from someone who had alrdy done it and is aware of the recent process is really a great deal of help... so thanks a lot stephy :)

Hello sweetlhyz... you are lucky to get your visa in no time. Are you from the philippines? When did you applied for fiance visa? Some people say that if your fiance have a job and has a high pay,,, you most likely get your visa approved fast. It this true to you?

Yeah.. I'm from Phil. to.
I applid my visa April 30 and I had the result  the 6th 0r 7th on May. well yeah.. The economy and the job has a big help to the application.
But still of course if the requirement of the applicant is complet and no problem that they don't have go sent it to the UDI here in norway. For sure the applicant will get it.;)

hi sweetlhynz...

wow.!! 3-4 business days for a family reunification permit.. this is the fastest ive read yet... ;)

are you sure this is for an ENGAGEMENT PERMIT (which technically falls under family reunification permit as well)? maybe you are talking about a FIANCÉE VISIT VISA for 90 days?

a FIANCÉE or ENGAGEMENT PERMIT is different from a FIANCÉE VISIT VISA... an engagement permit is decided by UDI, while fiancée visit visa is decided by the embassy.

by UDI terms, engagement permit is under FAMILY IMMIGRATION... while any kind of visit visa (bf, gf, fiancé or fiancée) falls under SCHENGEN VISA. a tourist visa also falls under SCHENGEN VISA..

based on the number of days after application that u got ur visa, this sounds more like a fiancée visit visa rather than an engagement permit.. coz 3-4 business days is a really short waiting period..

i hope you can shed more light on this fact. thank you :)

I came here for tourist Nov.2013 and I stay here almost 3m. and I applied engagement/fiencee visa April 2014
And it was approve right away. Since our plan to get married in January next year. My fiencee pick me up and we come here together sEP.13 last month. And that means I need to get married with/in 6mts since I came here.

ok, thanks for the clarification... :)

Hi Stephy,

I got some good info from your replies. did u already marry?

This is for Stephy and to anyone who can give me a proper answer

I am indian citizen and work in muscat and my fiancee now a norwegian citizen. I used to visit often as we are in relationship for 7 and half years and proposed to her last year. Planning to get married in coming July. When i was there in June we called the tax office and enquired about the tourist visa and other doccuments.She said its possible but only thing i have to leave. If i have multiple entry visa can i visit het after the marriage? She didnt have 100% permanent job yet and I am not sure how fast I can apply. Can I apply from Norway immediately after marriage and stay there in Norway? Is there any clause about income and job of my fiancee even after marriage? I will be going there in this December again. Please give me some info

hi sebikulu,

As far as my knowledge and sources are concerned this what the people on tourist visa did :

First option:

1. get married then apply for family reunification.

-the people who did this was allowed to do it, and yes u can stay in Norway while waiting for the result.

Second option:

step 1. Once u get in norway if u are a skilled worker they will allow u to apply for a fiance permit.

step 2. as long as u have ur application requirements submitted to the politi u are allowed to stay in Norway even if ur visa expires. Although u have to stay in because once u get home to ur country u won't be able to come back because ur visa is pending.

step 3. while ur waiting for the visa u can get married, just print the email of UDi or politi saying they have received ur application because this is ur proof that u are legally staying.

step 4. submit the marriage contract to UDI and change ur application to family reunification. this is convenient and might save u the hassle of reapplying.

* this option 2 is what I am personally experiencing and we are not encountering any problems.

Third option

1. You can get married here then go home. and just visit her. I am just not sure if u can visit her with ur multiple entry tourist visa if you will file a family reunification because I haven't read or known someone who have done it.

Regarding the job, I have read in some forums as long as ur fiance meets the required salary and she can present a contract may it be contractual,temporary or permanent it can work.

This are based on what I know and experienced, everything may vary from case to case so it's important you make calls to authorities because there are always differences with their response. :)

Hi Stephy thnk u very much for ur time and effort to reply me in detail.plus I thank u for all the replies in msg too.cz i was very much struck without info

what are the criteria for skilled worker. My profession is occupational safety adviser in const industry.anyone has any info whether i can apply or not.

http://www.udi.no/en/word-definitions/skilled-worker/

that is their criteria, for other applicants they didn't ask so it varies from case to case and which officer asks.

welcome :) im glad to help

Hi guys,

My fiance and I decided to apply tourist visa first and I have question regarding invitation letter. Does it need to be addressed to me or to the embassy? Or he have to compose 2 letters? Thanks a lot.

Thats what i am confused too..

i dont know what the others did but for us with the invitation that my husband made when we werent married yet he started with  "to whom it mat concern" then his message was like " i, (full name) would like to invite my fiance/girlfriend (full name) to visit me here in norway...." and so on so its like its addressed to the authorities but you will be the one to receive it via post from ur fiance to present this letter when u go there on the embassy :) so for short id im not mistaken :

the letter content is addressed to the embassy, while the letter itself should be sent to you via post because u will compile with together with the other requirements when u bring it to the embassy .i hope this is helpful, if not im sorry ^_^

same here.. like stephy said, invitation letter is for the embassy, telling them your story... i can try post a template later when i get on my computer ;)

but it should be mailed to you (not the embassy) coz you need to bring it to the embassy upon submission of your requirements...

as promised, here's a template invitation letter you can use for a visit visa for Norway. again, your boyfriend should sign and mail this letter to you and not the embassy because you would need this signed letter as part of the requirements to be submitted to the embassy.

<Date letter was signed by your bf>

Royal Norwegian Embassy
21st Floor, Petron Mega Plaza Building,
358 Senator Gil Puyat Avenue
1209 Makati City, Metro Manila

To whom it may concern,

Good day!

I am <boyfriend in Norway>, <age> years old, born <birthday>, residing at <address in Norway>.

I am submitting this letter to affirm that I have invited my girlfriend, <your name>, a citizen of the Philippines, to visit me for a period of <##> days starting on <date of arrival in Norway>. She will be leaving <date you will leave Norway> to return to her home in the Philippines. During this period, we hope to spend time together, tour around Norway and spend some time with my family as well <or whatever plans you have, planned side trips can be mentioned here as well>.

We are in a committed relationship for almost <##> years now, and I had been to the Philippines – <give dates when your bf had been in the phils, include places you've been to>. She had been to Norway once, <state as well if you had been to Norway>.

While she is in Norway, I will stand as her financial guarantor on the duration of her stay in my country and will stay with me at my home at the address provided above. At the conclusion of her visit, I will see that she returns safely to her home in the Philippines. Along with this letter, I have sent her an Original copy of the UDI Guarantee form –  stamped and signed, as supporting document.

<You can state here if you have a job or own property, as your ties or proof you will go back to the Philippines after your visa expires>. She will be presenting this letter to you, along with evidence to establish her close ties to the Philippines, and to assure you that she will return prior to the expiration of her stay in Norway.

Should you feel the need communicate with me, please don't hesitate to contact me at my personal mobile number: <bf's contact number>. Your kind consideration to this request is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

<Boyfriend in Norway>

Hope this can help.. :)

btw, some people uses an invitation letter in Norwegian language. altho i dont know how that will work coz we've always used letters in english.. in my opinion, its better to have the invitation letter in english, as another proof that you and your bf have a common language you are both fluent at (which is english), unless you are fluent in Norwegian too :)

Hello stephy25,

Thank you for patiently answering all the queries posted here and sharing your experience and knowledge with us regarding this matter.

I understand that you can get married under Schengen Visit Visa, what I wish to vividly clarify are:
1. Can I file family reunification permit right after the marriage documents are legalized in Norway without coming back here in the Philippines?
----So, in gist, there's a possibility that I do not have to come back here in the Philippines once my Schengen Visa expires to simply file Family Reunification/Spousal visa in Manila as long as I submitted the latter's application documents prior to my Schengen Visa expiration there in Norway.
3. Would they provide me a separate legal stay permit while awaiting for the approval of my Family Reunification,  after my Schengen Visit visa expires?

I believe you already have probably addressed those questions,  however, I am just astounded by the probability of not returning before the Schengen Visa expires which I was oblivious about before.

Thank you Stephy. Looking forward to hearing from you.

God Bless!

Thank you so much Stephy and Pheebz you guys are such a great help as always. :-)

@sandrinesopia yes you get to stay after ur visit visa expires as long as you were able to get your application and submit requirements with the politi.

the condition is just always keep in mind your stay is legal only in norway so while you dont have your visa yet you cant visit other schengen areas and if you come home to the philippines you will not be able to return to norway until your result comes out so yeah you can stay after visa expires.

regarding the issuance of a proof of legal stay after visa expires, i got married just this last friday without any visa we just received a letter from udi stating i am legally staying inside norway and that i am allowed to enter marriage. if you want to see their letter pm me your viber so i can send you :)

+38649324465

@betimi

the letter that i have is a proof of legal stay that is applicable for those who want to get married here while they have a pending application in udi.

as ive seen in ur profile ur goal is to move and work in norway, i cant send u unless ur in the same situation as we are because the letter contains of course is personal and i am willing to share it with those in the same situation with me i dont want to mislead anyone.

i hope u understand. :)

@sandrinesophia asked ko lang kasi gusto kobg mag stay sa fiance ko and plan to get marry kasi buntis ako...possible kaya na maka pagstay ako sa Norway after my visa expires? Kasi mahihirapan na akong bumalik sa pinas dahil malaki na tiyan ko.please give me some advise..

im not that much familiar with your case but i have read before that pregnancy can be a good ground for a positive result when applying for a family reunification.

so what you can try to do is try to get married while u are inside norway, then apply for a family reunification right away before your visa expires. coz once u are able to have a pending application u are allowed to stay inside norway while waiting for the result even if you visa expires.

again i dont have much info on this cases that includes pregnancy, but i think it could work. just act as early as you can because time is of the essence here. :)

@stephy25 thanks ate....pang 2nd travel ko na toh sa Norway kaya lang binigyan lang ako ng 29 days sa Norway,Dahil Gusto ko makasama fiancé ko this christmas together kaya grab ko nlng ung remaining 29 days ko sa 90 days tourist....
So balik ko next month at Gusto namin magpakasal agad at Hindi na bumalik sa Pinas Dahil malaki na tiyan ko....thanks ate nabuhayan ako sa cnabi mo

yea i guess thats a better option you'll get your papers ready when you come back then get married right away.

i understand your concern its really better that you give birth here, coz if you give birth outside norway i think they recommend dna testing right? so thats quite an additional process. best of luck to you and your fiance im sure you'll get through this just complete your requirements :)

@ joyalesund2014 > Can you please post in english only on this english speaking forum? It will help everybody to understand your message and willing to help you. :)

Thanks

Priscilla