Need some information on dependent pass

Hi All

I am considering taking up a job in Iskander (johor). Will my husband be able to work on a dependent pass?

Also, is it easier to find a job in Iskander or Singapore since its closer to Iskander.

How long can my in-laws stay with us?

I am more worried about my husband being able to find a job

kindly advice

regards
Gayathri

Yes you should worry. Basically he will needs a Work permit as well as the process to get permission for him to work as a dependent is harder and far less well known than a work permit.

So he needs to be employable in his own right. That depends a lot on his experience and qualifications.

Hi

Thanks for a quick response

My husband has 7yrs work experience across corporate finance and sales. He has done his MBA finance. I am really confused as to what to do if I get a job in johor. Please advice

Regards
Gayathri

He needs to look for a job with headhunters that will pay him a minimum of RM5k per month in Johor. Michael Page and Robert Walters may cover that area. It will probably take some time. So apply for a dependent pass and when he finds a job in Malaysia, he gets that pass endorsed with the right to work - its just a stamp that is added.

Otherwise with just a dependent pass associated with your employment pass, he could potentially work in Singapore and get a work permit there. He would then be able to move across the border. I think Spring is a headhunter in Singapore. I think it is more likely he will find work in Singapore than Malaysia, but do try both places simultaneously.

That k you Gravitas

I heard the market in Singapore is rigid and hiring foreign nationals is difficult. CN you help me with contacts ?

You can find some information on immigration rules for dependents here:

Information about how to apply for dependent status in Malaysia

I think it could take a long time for him to find a job in his profession, but he may be able to find something else. Unfortunately it is rather difficult in Malaysia and I can't comment about Singapore as people I know there have been hired overseas and sent there.

There is a large Indian Malaysian community in Johor so it would be possible to network. Unfortunately it does not have any links to KL or other parts of Malaysia, as it so far away. It would be possible for him to study, as there are several universities in the area, but of course that requires money. IT is about the most transferable skill in this part of the world. In Singapore it is also HR. Michael Page and Robert Walters are international agencies with presences in Malaysia and Singapore. Look them up on the internet to see wha kind of job offers they have. Of course most of them will only be for locals (sometimes because of the languages needed) but there may be something, especially at Robert Walters.

Hi mba s are two a penny, but 7 years experience os helpful if some senior. However any of the non technical jobs (marketing, advertising, general management and finance in general) are very hard to get jobs as a foreigner while in Malaysia. There are expats on these jobs but sent by parent companies. Local hire expats often get overworked, under payed and a 100 others want that job.

Malaysia only really wants technical people, eg engineers, qualified teachers (western only) and high flyer managers or specific financial skills like a quant.

Oh I am very discouraged now :(