University of Business and Technology

Hi,
Does anyone know anything about UBT in Dahban? University of Business and Technology.
Thank you

I happen to visit their campus once, located near Rehily, almost 25 kms away from Jeddah.
UBT is with CBA - college of Business Admin. This campus is for men only and I remember seeing students from out of Jeddah. It looked clean and well maintained, they also have dorm.

Thank you Ehtesham
What I would like to know is how is the campus there? how are the students? how can I go to Jeddah from the campus? anything you know about UBT Dahban please.

HUMBLEMAN wrote:

Thank you Ehtesham
What I would like to know is how is the campus there? how are the students? how can I go to Jeddah from the campus? anything you know about UBT Dahban please.

Hi, I am sorry I cant add much to what I said up there.
Try calling them at 12 - 2159000 or visit their website ubt. edu.sa

My best friend taught there for 6 years from 2007 till 2013.  I can get any info from him, in fact, I already know pretty much everything about UBT.

Will you be teaching at CBA, EIT, or JCA?  My friend taught at CBA (the business school).  He used to complain that the students were there just to get a piece of paper saying they have a degree.  According to him, about 10% were motivated and smart.  Another 20% were somewhat interested and put in some effort, but the rest just did not care much and put in just enough effort to barely pass, or tried other way to pass.  Problem is, he used to tell me, that a big chunk of them are rich... the student parking lot is full of BMWs, Lexuses, MBs, even Lambos and Bentleys if you were lucky!  Lot of them are from business owning families, so they don't have much motivation to learn or put in effort.  Nice kids, though, respectable and gracious.

Before my friend got a car, he used to take the university bus from the female campus on Sari street to the male campus, and back in the afternoons.  The bus leaves every couple of hours or so.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I will pass them on to him.

Thank you Trapezius
You have answered quite a few of my questions.
My job will be to teach English at UBT in Dahban. I just wanted to know how the students are. Also how can I visit Jeddah? by bus? taxi?
Is working at UBT a good place to be?

Will you be living on campus?  I did not know they had faculty housing on campus, at least not until last year.  Live in Jeddah, and go to Dhahban, rather than the other way around.  The uni bus is till about 6 or 7 pm only.  After that, and on weekends, you would need a car.  There is no real public transport in this country, as you know.  You could take a taxi, probably will cost at least SR. 60 or 70.

Overall an ok place to work, just frustrating dealing with some students and some admin staff and managers.  Cheating among students is endemic, so just watch out for that.

Thanks again for the tip Trapezius
Hope to make it next month. I will be coming from London. How is the campus? any facilities? is it easy to make friends with staff at UBT? are they friendly?

Campus has been expanding rapidly the past few years.  Now they have a proper rec center with gym, swimming pool, bowling, billiards, pong pong, etc.  By the way, there is no faculty housing.  No one would want to live there even if there was housing.  The campus is literally in the middle of the desert.

Most staff and faculty are friendly.  Most office staff is Saudi.  ESL faculty are mostly Western Muslim converts.

Click below for location, and then zoom out to see how remote and far it is:

https://www.google.com/maps/@21.8550909 … a=!3m1!1e3

You are right Trapezius, it is in the middle of nowhere! so where should I live? How far is it to Jeddah (time wise)? sorry to bother you but you are the only one who seems to know about UBT and the campus in this forum. Thanks

Faculty and staff live all over Jeddah.  The first neighborhoods as you approach Jeddah from the North are the posh/expensive ones.  Rents for 3-br apartments will range from 40k to 80k per year.  But if you go to the middle-class neighborhoods, you can get 3-br apartments for 25-50k per year.  If you want to live in a compound, you will have to shell out a minimum of 100k per year for 3-br if you are lucky, but typically 150k, and as much as 200k.

When you are next to the Royal Terminal of the airport, from there it takes 20 min to reach the university if you drive at the speed limit, as it is all non-stop highway (Madina Road).  How long it takes you to reach the Royal Terminal area depends on where you live.  My friend was living in a compound not far from there, so he was able to get to the university in 25-30 minutes, but typical commute times of most employees are 40-60 min.

Some good districts:

Rawdah
Zahra
Naeem
Mohammadiyah
Nahda
Salamah
Khalidiya

Basically, any district West of Madina Road is find.  Don't get a place East of Madinah Road.  The female campus is in Salamah district, just off of Sari street, in front of the t-junction of Sari with Yamamah street, and that's where the uni bus depart from to go to the male campus.  Go to google maps and check out the districts just to get a general feel for where the airport is, the various districts, the female campus, etc.

Once again, thank you Trapezius
You've been great help.
According to UBT I will have to stay in Dahban campus as I am coming on a single status visa. I might rent a car and drive to Jeddah after work. Where shall I go once in Jeddah.... I really don't know!

Jeddah-blog or destinationjeddah are good places to start

Welcome to UBT-ELA my friend. I've been teaching at the English Language Academy for 3 years now. You may take a bus from the Sari Girls' Campus to come to Dahban Campus. If you have any other question, please tell me.

Thank you Wassim,

I sent you a pm.

Humbleman, are you already in town? My brother just started studying at CBA this year. He just moved back from Canada this year and he isn't complaining :) CBA has a nice campus and there are a lot of things you could do in Jeddah. If you are here long term, you may consider leasing/buying a vehicle. Renting may prove expensive, considering how you will be frequenting the city (there really isn't much to do in the immediate vicinity of the campus).

I've met a couple of the faculty members at CBA and they seemed rather nice.

Thank you Simplyaddo
No I am still in London and waiting for the visa. It's taking forever!
I agree about the car... leasing or buying a cheap second hand car. Thanks for your reassurance, much appreciated.
Where can I buy a cheap second car just to go to Jeddah and back to campus that's all.
Cheers!

You'll find various options. There are several dealers that sell used cars. You can also check on haraj dot com dot sa and expatriates dot com. You can also ask someone to take you to the car 'haraj' in South Jeddah - basically a car mega-mart with used and new cars at lower prices than dealers.

Thank you simplyaddo, much appreciated

Hi,
I found this discussion today & would like to know about Bus Service to UBT / CBA. My son is studying there & facing problem for transportation. Can some body give more information about Bus Service from Sari to Dhahban campus? is this service available for students?

Appreciate someone respond to question.

Hello,
I see this discussion board today & would like to know more about SARI to DHAHBAN campus, is this service available for male students? Appreciate reply.

Regards,

Yes there is a bus from Sari to Dahban. It runs once in the morning and back in the afternoon. It is available for both teachers and students. Your son has to register for this bus or can pay the bus driver each time he uses it.

Hi Hubbleman,
Thank You for your response, this is great news!! relieving me from stress (a bit! :)).
If you can help me out where to register (Dhahban or Sari campus), as my daughter (student in sari) will be attending class in an hour, so I can ask her to get more information today. 

Thanks for your quick response & help.
With regards,

I have just asked a colleague who takes the bus and he said there is no need to register. Your son can pay the bus driver (15 Riyals each way). The bus leaves at 8 am in the morning from Sari main gate and comes back at 4:15 pm from Dahban. I hope this helps.

Thank You very much for help, this does relaxed us :).