Looking to move to cabrea.

lived in Sosua for 8 years, moved to the states for the last 4 yrs. need to know about basic cost of various services & availability. mail service to the u.s., sat or cable tv, etc. looking for a condo or small apt to rent. could buy a condo in the 25 t0 30,000$ range. in the future my extended family will move also. then would look foe a house or possibly build. now about me: senior guy, healthy & very active. have been a hotographer in nyc, designe & built restaurants for many other people. in St. Croix, built one for me. "No Bones Cafe" sold it in 2002 & moved to Sosua. had a couple of medical problems so moved to Florida for treatment. (eyes)  I like growing things,  veggies, herbs etc. I grow 7 kinds of hot chiles & make & sell hot sauces. cooking is a passion & vocation. would like to open a SMALL cafe & bar. I enjoy building things also. from tables to renovations, decks etc. I read a lot. have passible spainish, tengo mucho palabras, pero mi verbos mui malo. ahorra estudio mas espanol. forgive any erros please. good conversation & laughter is a must. I'm single but am happiest in a relationship. I miss the latina womans attitude about life & love. please feel free to contact me, e-mail or by cell. .

Welcome Gypsy,
Not a whole lot has changed since you left 4 years ago.  Still no real mail service here but lots of private shipping and forwarding companies for mail when  you absolutely have to have it.  We have survived for 8+ years here and have NEVER gotten or sent a letter to the US.  We have had someone going to the US mail something for us (twice).

There are all kinds of cable and sat. services here depending on where you live..

Have you been to Cabrea before?

Again welcome.

Bob K

Welcome is seconded.  Lots of info on various threads.....start reading..... lol.  Come back with questions you have and we will do our best to help you!

thanks for the rapid reply. I passed through cabrea & liked what I saw.main concern about mail is the yearly form from s.s.. when I was living in Sosua each year had to go to the consulat in puerta plata to fill out the form. the 1st. 2 years lost a months benefits.  are there storage units in cabrea? would have a container of stuff to store til the rest of family arrives to buy or build. I'm glad that I found this site. drescapes is fine but, seems to be geared toward sales & promotion of there people.  my nephew will be in cabrea during the holidays looking around for a place for me to live until they arrive for good. about a year, or year & a half. would be great if a small condo could be bought. then when we get or buil a larger place, then use it as a retal income. thankyou for any info. if you have friends who might have ideas, give them my address.  thanks again, tamas

In 2 years I have never had to mail a form to back for SS.  However you can mail just very expensive (one letter 3 day service was going to be $2000 RD with EPS because we did not have an account).

I don't know about storage units. Are you planning on applying for residency (you need to legally).  If so wait till you apply to ship your container and you will avoid almost all the taxes associated with shipping goods to the DR. I know in our case our tax bill went from over $10,000 USD to just $200 or so.

Bob K

You can sign up with a mail forwarder very easily and not expensive.

Bob is right to ask - are you applying for residencia which then allows you to bring a container in? If so, go find the thread on residencis first steps!

By the way, we wont share your address or email.  Anyone who wants to contact you can do it here.

thank you. my friend is a memberbut, he is signed into panama & can't sign in to the d.r.  he can't read the blogs or start a thread question. he is part of my extended family & will be moving to cabrea w/me. he is frustrated with this problem. his name is peter meyers.    please help him get on to this site. thanks.

If he can see any other thread he just need to click on Dominican Republic.and he can see the various threads.  By the way his emaiil will be removed, we dont post email addresses here. 

I will message you with help.

I understand, thanks

Gypsy may not have enough posts for is message system to be active.

Bob K

We can message anyone Bob, they can respond.  They cant initiate though in the beginning.... :)

Right.  Not enough coffee this morning. I knew that. I guess I was so tired of people with one post complaining that they could not send PMs

Have a good day and stay cool. Another scorcher in store for us here on the north coast.

Bob K

Here too honey, hot and humid with thunder rolling already....

Keep the thunder (makes one of our dogs crazy) but feel free to send us any rain you may get. 

Electric fixed?

Cistern being fixed?

Bob

Electrical is the same,  outages daily but problem on our cul de sac seems to be resolved. There were 2 big trucks here yesterday for  4 hours.

Cisterna - no show. Not hooked up. Yard is a disaster and I refuse to clean their mess.  Water meters still covered.  I wrote the landlady in Italy and copied the lawyer on everything. Turns out he has not told her ANYTHING.,  She had no idea about the roof, the cisterna not being finished etc etc.    Now she knows............ 

Yup, the search for a new place is on!!! Starts tomorrow.  I am soooooo done with this.

Moving will be a good move.

Bob K

Yup its time.

bob, I see that you are in sosua. do you know the old campo bar on pedro clisante, or spankys? they were the bars I hung out in most. rode motorcyces most of the time, yamaha v-star. had a white older camry too. perhaps we've met. also went to brittania, know liam & others.

Campo/Spanys has reopened as Spankys on the side road leading to he Sosua by the Sea hotel.

Brit is going strong still two owners later. The current owner Ray and Sue have done wonders with the place and is one of the most popular places in town.

Who knows we may have met in the past

Bob K

I had alot of great times in Campo Bar and Spanky's!  Will try and "do the time " as Baretta stated in the old tv hit as I teach my phys ed hs students and continue to coach football and wrestling!  Due date to Cabrera or nearby retirement town is max 3 yrs and hopefully 2 3/4 yrs!

Nice to have a plan!!!

Can't wait to get out of the rat race here in the USA!  This summer I was in my wife's barrio Los Alcarrizos for over 2 months and loved it!  Most reports tell gringos to beware of the such barrio aforementioned but I had my senses and bodyguards...lol my wife and a politically connected college student that I jogged to the gym every morning with as we practiced each others native language on each other! I read alot, saw my 2 yr old daughter play in the street with lots of kids and had 10 moms for her on the street where my wife grew up, drank alot of Brugal and Presidentes and shared even more, saw very poor people but so much happier than families here in USA....I am from a good sized New England city so grew up seeing the con games and have taught in the inner city parts of Miami such as Overtown and Liberty City so am aware of my surroundings and smart enough to not wander in such a place as Los Alcarrizos w/out my bodyguards!
Cabrera is a place my family is looking to relocate to.  Need to find an honest real estate guy or gal there or decide if building is best!  Any advice is welcomed!

It sounds like you have some experience here, good for you. I've had some similar experiences.  Advice: take your time, rent for a while, check things out.  Bob knows a lot of people on the north coast.  I have a good friend i trust in Cabrera and will ask him for a name....

Yes do take it slow. I am sorry but really don't have any contacts for real estate in Cabrea

Bob K

Recommended realtor in Csbrera Sebastion 809 467 7801.  This comes from someone I trust and have known 11 years!