Not speaking Khmer and moving to Siem Reap

Should not speaking Khmer on arrival be the issue which keeps me from moving to Siem Reap?  I don't know anyone in country, and I'm afraid I will not be able to find anyone I can trust to negotiate the major terms for me. Is there ready help for english speakers when they arrive to help them navigate the myriad of negotiations needed to secure the best prices for rent, utilities etc?

Thank you all!

I will not lie to you, Cambodia is a much more difficult place to reside in, primarily due to the lack of English spoken in country. While a few Khmers do speak English, even many of those are far from fluent.

With that said, there are people here who will speak enough English to help you get by when you first arrive. Typically, you can find Khmer Tuk-Tuk or Motodop drivers who will. The challenge is finding an honest one. Once you have found an honest translator, you will be in the money. They will be more valuable to you than you currently can imagine.

So, no, do not let it be an issue, preventing you from living anywhere in country.

Thank you for taking the time to reply, you are such tremendous help!  I would imagine that English is spoken by more people and perhaps more fluently in Siem Reap because it's a major tourist spot?? As opposed to more the rural locations of course.   ......ah, the concerns of a newbie!  I wish to be able to communicate in Khmer one day.

Peace! and thank you again,
Glenn

I'm pretty sure that you would find a higher percentage of Khmers who speak English in Siem Reap, than you will here in Battambang, for example.

You live in a very beautiful place!  A million thanks for your help here, livingincebu!

Your friend, Glenn

Anytime I can be of service. :)

Time to hit the hay. Been a long day.