Moving from London to Bogota??

Hey, My name is George and I am a born and bred Londoner. I am currently living in Mexico City and attempting to learn the lingo, however failing miserably!!

Due to my job I am able to get around it as I have to speak English 99% of the time. The company I work for is now sending to me Colombia, Bogota for three months... So here I am a Londoner about to embark on another experience, this time in Colombia.

I have heard lots of great things and this just seemed like throwing myself out there on a website such as this is the next step as I will be no doubt living by myself in a new city, so If you see a British guy with an incredibly obvious tourist tan and a map which is upside down, by all means laugh and point, however also point me in the right direction for the nearest place to get a nice cold beverage!

Gracias..

Hi George,

I would like to show you the place around. It would be nice to dust off my pidgin English. You actually won't need a map since streets are numbered: 'calles' go from 1 to about 300 form south to north; and 'carreras' from 1 to perhaps 200 from east to west. If you happen to have your map upside down it may still work since some things around here work that way, and only that way. Cheers.

Hi George,
You'll enjoy Bogota, things to consider. Bogota is divided in 2 ways, North and South. South is typically the poorer areas and least safe, North is the richer wealthier side, safer side. Zona T is your comparable to Zona Rosa in Mexico City. Plaza de Bolivar is our version of el Zocalo in Mexico. The weather is usually kind of cold, between 5 and 15 celsius, and don't be surprise if it rains, 'cause it happens every other day. Have fun!

I've spent many a lot time and money, searching for the best place to live in Latin American and, I can say with total conviction, there is no where on earth better than Colombia.  I can't imagine living anywhere else.

However, learn to speak Spanish!  It's much more important to speak Spanish in Colombia than in Mexico.  I might add, the dialect is quite a bit different... even between Bogota and say Medellin.  That said, Paisa's seem to be far more open, if you just make an attempt at Spanish.  Never before met folks so willing to lend a hand and help with directions.

Merrill

well u shouldn't have a problem here, ppl is quite nice overall and will help you. If you need anything just ask :D

Well George, Welcome to this crazy but nice place called Colombia. Some fall in love with the country, and learn to live here. If you live currently in Mexico city, you will survive here. so bienvenido

Hi George,

Welcome to Bogota, I am a Londoner also and live in the Rosales district. If you like London pride beer, fish n chips, English breakfast etc then head for the Monkey House on 70 street near Rosales. Other good drinking houses are the BBC who brew their own beer, Monserrate Red is my favourite.

Have Fun!

WedgieT

Hi mate

I too have moved from London to just outside Bogota a place called "La Mesa" im looking to make contact with other Londoners? I have also brought my 84 year old mum with me and am looking for any old expats she can talk with?
If you can get out here to "Mesa" we could meet for a beer? There is a Bus that comes here its only about 1.5 hours! I too am struggling with the language! Been with my Colombian wife and leaning spanish for four years now and its coming slowly!! Please reply and we can swop mobile numbers?

cheers

Alan

Hi Alan,

Good to hear from another English guy. I am living mainly in the Rosales area of Bogota near the "septima" and on Calle 72 Bis near the Carulla supermarket on the corner, which used to be a private residence many years ago.
I also have a private residence in La Mesa which I have now put up for sale on a double plot with pool as we have recently bought elsewhere. Its advertised on here if you want to look at it.
I am going back to London on the 20 April for a while but I will be popping into La Mesa before I return.
My mobile doesn't work too well here unless I get the WI-FI connected up, so my land line phone number here is
Bogota [moderated: pls use the pm. For security reason avoid putting your phone num]
Maybe I will hear from you soon, so then we can meet up for a beer and banter!
Best Wishes
Tony

Hi tony
Any chance you could ring me on my mobile number [moderated: pls use the pm. For security reason avoid putting your phone num]
It would be great to chat?
Cheers
Alan

Hi Alan,
I will be in La Mesa this Easter and could perhaps meet you in the main plaza by the Church for a beer and a banter sometime over the Easter weekend, say on the Saturday the 4 April after lunch around 2pm?
Will you be around at the Easter weekend?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes

Tony

Hi Tony

That would be great to meet up by the church around 2pm! I'm sure ! will recognise you!! we look so different than the Latinos!! Look forward to it!
Cheers
Alan

Hi Tony

When you said this week end I thought you ment today 28th! I was there at 2.
Now I've read your message again and see you ment next sat 4th April.
Ill see you next sat around 2!!

Cheers mate

Alan

Hi Tony

I can't make Saturday at 2, could we make it Sunday at 2 in front of the Church in the plaza?
Can you confirm?
Cheers
Alan

Hi,
I was there at 2pm waiting for you, but you did not show. I am back in Bogota now and I have only just seen your message.
Don't know when I will be back in La Mesa.

So perhaps catch you later.

Best Wishes

Tony

Hi Tony

Sorry mate I was there for an hour the week before!! Im in Bogota thursday and friday this week we could meet somewhere?

Alan

Hi Tony
When are you next back in "la Mesa"? Would love that beer?

Cheers
Alan

Saludos Alan,

It's good to hear from you.
I have recently arrived back in London for a few months but should return to Bogota later in the year.
So I will give you a shout on my return.
Enjoy Colombia, I am missing it already. Although it is Spring here and the Election is everywhere!!

Take care
Hasta Luego
Tony

Give me your email address? so I can contact you direct?

acottee wrote:

Give me your email address? so I can contact you direct?

For security reasons please do not post personal contact details on an open forum. You can use the PM system for this.