International call rates

I noticed something strange or maybe it's Bahrain :)

In Dubai when I used to make international calls,  the cheapest options were (ascending order) :

My Du fixed line
Du postpaid mobile
Du prepaid mobile

Here, its:

Viva prepaid
Viva postpaid
Fixed lines

Am I missing something?  It seems to me that under this business model there is no incentive to customers to choose contractual stuff ie fixed or post paid if all you want to do is make idd calls?

As far as i know, its been the same from a very long time. The Landlines are more expensive, but in Bahrain many of us use VoIP for calling either through the cards which are available such as kalam, call one and there are many more, which give very competitive rates. You can either use the cards over mobile or landline, but beware some charges are levied on your mobile/landline (i am really not sure what the charges are, but i have heard from many) and some are toll free is what they claim (i am not sure whether the claim holds good or not), and since voip is not restricted over bahrain you many of us do use international VoIP providers as well.

As far as the business model goes, from the point of view of a customer since VIVA has landed in Bahrain the cost of calls have reduced drastically (both local and international) but speaking from the point of view of an teleco it has killed the healthy model of business.

T&R
Arjun

Good observation, XTang. This is indeed the case.
As with many things in Bahrain, this is one of those things that defies normal logic.

I too use a viva prepaid number for my international calls and i find it quite cheap. And now we have viber, skype, tango and a whole raft full of similar avenues.

I do use Skype when the person I am calling does not have a smartphone or a computer access or if it is a business call.

I use a Zain prepay for all local calls and messages, but internationally I just Skype via my phone. It works even when I am out if WiFi as long as signal is decent. I think I pay less, or at least the same, as the post pay friends I have also.