Help with understanding Visa's and entry

Hello.
I am hoping I can get some real answers from those that might have experienced this or know someone who has and can help.
My boyfriend was denied a tourist visa ( B2?) to the states. Just a generic refusal letter referencing 214b reason was given to him from the Algerian Consulate. We did not plan for this to happen as it seemed everything was in order for him to come visit and then revisit again in a year. My question is, once a refusal is given for a tourist visa, does this mean he can never come to the states? Is the alternative  that he need to find employment that will be sponsor him to come here? I am not sure what can be done, since I was told the tourist visa is the easiest for someone to obtain since he was just visiting at this time. He said he was told the reason was due to economic. I would like to think there is some way to help him come visit me and then future possibility he can come. Please any assistance is helpful.

You can apply as often as you like, but if nothing else changes you will probably get the same results.
If you can prove that you two have met in person previously you could file for a fiancee visa, having to prove you can support both of you.  In addition once he receives the visa he must marry you within 90 days or the visa is null and void.  If you have not met before you might want to meet him outside the USA, take pictures, start writing letters to each other and keep them for proof of your relationship for a future fiancee visa.  Good Luck

According to a 1 second Google search, reason 214b is for people they suspect will want to stay in the country.  Considering he is coming to see you, and the "economic reasons", that's a safe bet.

First, it's the US Embassy in Algeria that denies visa applications, not the Algerian Consulate.

A B2 visa is valid for 10 years and allows up to 6 months stays per year. Algeria doesn't participate in the Visa Waiver Program that allows one to come to the US for up to 90 days (what mugtech was referring to, I believe) without a visa.

When you apply for a B2, you must provide proofs that you will return to your country (job, university, home owner, etc...) and that you have enough money in your bank account for your planned trip to the US. If he told the consular officer that he has a girlfriend in the US, this is a huge red flag. If he ever re-apply, he should not mention you.

He also can apply for a student visa (F1 or M1)  but this will require some money and finding a university/college willing to accept him. There's also the J1 Trainee or Young Professional. He'll need to find a company that can sponsor him.

Thank you for the advice.  He officially proposed marriage to me and we are very happy. My concern is I do no wish to travel to the country to meet him first.  It is not financially possible that I can and with my children,  leaving them behind. Are there any instances that a fiancé visa gets approved without prior to meeting?  I really don't understand this rule. If true love is what each other feels and wants, why is it so hard to be with that one? Long distance has put us through ups and downs but we know we love each other and stay together. We just are patient. Which also, how long does this fiance visa take?

English2Francais wrote:

First, it's the US Embassy in Algeria that denies visa applications, not the Algerian Consulate.

A B2 visa is valid for 10 years and allows up to 6 months stays per year. Algeria doesn't participate in the Visa Waiver Program that allows one to come to the US for up to 90 days (what mugtech was referring to, I believe) without a visa.

When you apply for a B2, you must provide proofs that you will return to your country (job, university, home owner, etc...) and that you have enough money in your bank account for your planned trip to the US. If he told the consular officer that he has a girlfriend in the US, this is a huge red flag. If he ever re-apply, he should not mention you.

He also can apply for a student visa (F1 or M1)  but this will require some money and finding a university/college willing to accept him. There's also the J1 Trainee or Young Professional. He'll need to find a company that can sponsor him.

From what he explained they asked where he wanted to travel to, where was his work, and how much he makes. She asked for a copy of his pay. Then she gave him a rejection letter.  If we apply for the fiancé visa, and he was already denied a B2, does this mean they would deny him again?  Also what kind of proof financially needs to be shown? I have to be a millionaire to have him be here? That is not possible.  Thanks for any advice

femme34 wrote:

Thank you for the advice.  He officially proposed marriage to me and we are very happy. My concern is I do no wish to travel to the country to meet him first.  It is not financially possible that I can and with my children,  leaving them behind. Are there any instances that a fiancé visa gets approved without prior to meeting?  I really don't understand this rule. If true love is what each other feels and wants, why is it so hard to be with that one? Long distance has put us through ups and downs but we know we love each other and stay together. We just are patient. Which also, how long does this fiance visa take?

Because never having met, there is no proof that you even know each other.  This can be used as a scam to get women into the USA, they don't get married within 90 days and then just disappear, often to work in the sex trade, the old mail order bride approach.  Since the foreigner has no USA source of income, the petitioner must prove that he or she has income to at least meet the poverty level in the USA, which is not anything like being a millionaire.  In 1995 $22,000/year income was sufficient to support two people, do not know today's numbers.  If you cannot afford to spend one day with him before filing for a visa then you probably cannot prove you can support all of you, cannot afford a fiancee visa.  Takes about a year to get approved if there are no complications.