Help we are moving to BUE

Hi:
Need to know if it is OK to bring the flat screen tv's from the USA since they are not the same voltage. Each of them will need a transformer? Here in USA, they are a lot cheaper then in Argentina.
Also, what about taking the wireless phones for the apartment, since they also need electricity with a different voltage?
Any other suggestions worth taking to Argentina. We are returning there, to retire, after 40 years living overseas.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Lia Raynaud
[email protected]

You may want to check, but I think bringing electronic items into Argentina will be subject to a rather large import tax.

It depends on how much you bring into the country and how.  I would recommend you talk to an international shipping company as they can take care of everything to include the shipping, paperwork and dealing with customs.  I have some friends in the business if you need a starting point with finding someone to assist. 

As to voltage, yes you would  have to get transformers for everything that is strictly 110, which means bringing small items like cordless phones would actually cost you more in the end.  You can get a decent cordless phone here for less than the price of a decent transformer.  I would only concentrate on expensive items such as a television, computer, etc.

As to bringing things down here, I am not a big fan of Skype.  I find that using VoIP phone systems is much more affordable and offer a much larger group of countries and cell phones that can be called.  So I would recommend setting up a VoIP system before you come down here.  Obviously as they are internet based you can use them anywhere including here.  The problem is that many of the companies do not ship the hardware down here and when they do, you run the risk of getting dinged with importation taxes which are roughly the same as the retail value of the item in the USA. 

Technically the import tariff is about 50% of the retail value here, but as prices for electronics is about double here, that means in effect you are paying once for the item in a store and once in import taxes down here.