I am nervous!!!

Hello all!   :)
Ok so I am half Maltese, born and raised in England...14 years ago I moved to Canada...now I miss my family in Malta and am moving back, by myself with my 4 (yes 4) children.  I decided that we will move in July 2015, giving me time to pack up and sell my house and for the kids enough time to say goodbye and get used to the idea (only one child has been to Malta 9 years ago).  The option of coming for a visit first is just not going to work due to the cost of the flights over for all of us.
I am so excited but at the same time I have visions of no work, pricey cars, even pricier homes and the horror of living in poverty in Malta.  I am a special fx makeup artist and I also do face and body painting, not really the norm and no, I know nothing about I.T. 
Anyway, it would be great to make some friends on here and get some good advice!  I will also be looking for a houseful of furniture so if anyone knows of expats moving out and want to sell.....
Have a great week and I look forward to chatting!!

Hi, I don't know if you are aware but many films are made on Malta and Gozo and the film industry is very important to the economy here. So I was thinking that there may be some need of your special fx makeup artist skills. Perhaps if you 'Google' Malta Film Industry' you may get a few leads and information. The Malta Film Commission offers training to those who want to go into the industry so maybe there may be the possibility for you to teach?  (If not there are always 'Carnivals' and other chances to earn money as an artist.  :)  Have you considered self employment?)
I will also PM you with some accommodation information, someone who is reliable but don't expect too many responses until nearer the time that you are due to arrive and have definite plans made. The market moves very fast in these cases and in July, summer, the prices will be higher than usual in many cases and it will be busy. Have you considered a move in a shoulder season, either side of summer? The market could be more stable then.
Would you be able to apply for Maltese Nationality? If so, that may help you if you are definitely minded to stay. Have a chat with your nearest Embassy. Good luck!!

Hi Rusianne,

welcome to the forum.

You made the right decision to give yourself enough time to sort things out in Canada and do your homework on Malta. Holding a UK and eventually a Maltese passport will make things a lot easier.

It's easy to make new friends in Malta and most of the other questions and issues will be solved when the move happens. Just be aware that there will a culture shock moment - sooner or later especially when coming from a country like Canada.

Feel free to ask any questions that arise and your family in Malta might not be able to answer. Maltese are not always so aware of Expat issues -)))

Cheers
Ricky

Cheers
Ricky

Thanks so much :)
What kind of 'culture shock'?  I am most worried about this for my kids (I have been to Malta many times but they have not)... right now they have a HUGE back yard with a pool, trampoline, fire pit and a tire swing hanging from a large Pine....I have been explaining to them that in Malta we will be highly fortunate to have a yard big enough to fit a table and chairs, and more likely no yard at all!