Maybe relocating to Basel and need info on schooling

My husband just got an offer from his company to relocate from US to Basel Switzerland.  We are very excited by the opportunity, but we have a 3 year old son who is in pre-school. To move abroad, I will be quitting my job and hoping to find work in Basel.  I have read that costs for schooling are very high.  Unfortunately, our son would not be sponsored through my husband's company, so we would be paying these costs out of pocket.  Can someone post a link for schools in Basel area?  I am hoping to find more information on costs. Also wondering if children have to go to school in their canton?

you need not prepare anything. At child's age he will learn local language and go to local school like everyone else at same age. Speak English at home and let him write English to his current friends. What could be simpler?

There might be 30 % expat children in his class - a nice challenge ...

Cost is covered by the taxes you pay.
For more ask American Consulate in Basel or Bern, if you really need to waste money.

ccatz88 wrote:

My husband just got an offer from his company to relocate from US to Basel Switzerland.  We are very excited by the opportunity, but we have a 3 year old son who is in pre-school. To move abroad, I will be quitting my job and hoping to find work in Basel.  I have read that costs for schooling are very high.  Unfortunately, our son would not be sponsored through my husband's company, so we would be paying these costs out of pocket.  Can someone post a link for schools in Basel area?  I am hoping to find more information on costs. Also wondering if children have to go to school in their canton?

Hi ccatz88 and welcome to Expat.com :)
With a little help of friend "Google", I found this page on international schools in Basel as for you to find a job, you could post an ad in the jobs section in Basel's Classifieds.
Hope this helps!
Arlette

Hi, my husband I are in a similar situation. We have a daughter who will be 1 in April. I would prefer for her to be in pre-school in the fall and would put her in the one at our church if we were staying in the U.S.

We are scheduled to move around late August and I am lost as to what to do or where to begin with looking for pre-schools.

If you find out any great information please let me know. When are you supposed to be moving? What state are you moving from?

Thanks,

KC

The Basel Childbirth Trust is an excellent resource for English speaking families with small children in Basel.  They also have an excellent listing (and used to have a booklet) of the English speaking pre-schools and different options here.  You can check them out even before you get here. And they are also a great way to meet people and make friends
Here's the link:
Basel child birth trust