Vietnamese Passport

Hi All,

I was wondering if some experts with factual knowledge can help me out. I am moving to Hanoi in a couple months. At this time, I have a 5 year visa extension that runs out in 2016. I believe with this extension, I can renew at the local immigration in Hanoi every 3 months and stay indefinitely until 2016, then renew the visa extension at the local immigration office and start the whole process again.

Out of convenience, I think I just want to get a vietnamese passport. It's a pretty straightforward process for those eligible. You can find all the info needed on the consulate section of the us embassy website.

So my question is...is it possible for me to bring all my necessary info and papers to Hanoi and just get my first time Vietnamese Passport done there? Basically, the embassy here acts as a middle man and they send it to Vietnam to get taken care of anyhow, of course they take a chunk of the fee also.
It would save a lot of possible waiting around and one less thing to worry about if I can just get it done in Vietnam.

Also, if anyone knows any other advantages besides the immigration renewal runs this will give me, please let me know.

I would really appreciate any help and factual answers on this topic.

Thanks all!

I'm also a Vietnamese- American trying to get a vietnamese passport in Hanoi. The vietnamese immigration in Hanoi told me to apply in the US.This office won't accept my application in Hanoi.

Hongma1975 wrote:

I'm also a Vietnamese- American trying to get a vietnamese passport in Hanoi. The vietnamese immigration in Hanoi told me to apply in the US.This office won't accept my application in Hanoi.

Wow...is that really the case?! What is the reasoning with that, besides the money. Such an ass backwards rule if that is true.

I know the VN immigration has an office in HCM that is dedicated to repatriation of Viet Kieu.

The only negatives I have heard are occasional requests for money (bribes) from impatient applcants with deadlines.

Once an application is in process, i.e. after filing, they will extend the visa until the application is processed.

Ha Noi is notoriously slow and lazy.

I helped a woman gain VN citizenship+passport. She was the daughter of a deceased Ede father, whose wife (Mother of Applicant) was French. The embassy in the Middle East even staged a small ceremony for her at which she received her passport and citizenbship documents.

BTW, the San Fran VN consulate is very helpful, the Embassy in Washington is far too busy doing diplomatic parties to really help visa applicants efficiently.

Jaitch wrote:

I know the VN immigration has an office in HCM that is dedicated to repatriation of Viet Kieu.

The only negatives I have heard are occasional requests for money (bribes) from impatient applcants with deadlines.

Once an application is in process, i.e. after filing, they will extend the visa until the application is processed.

Ha Noi is notoriously slow and lazy.

I helped a woman gain VN citizenship+passport. She was the daughter of a deceased Ede father, whose wife (Mother of Applicant) was French. The embassy in the Middle East even staged a small ceremony for her at which she received her passport and citizenbship documents.

BTW, the San Fran VN consulate is very helpful, the Embassy in Washington is far too busy doing diplomatic parties to really help visa applicants efficiently.

I appreciate your response but I'm not sure I understand. Did you say somewhere in your post that this can be done some where in Vietnam? I'm fine with doing it in HCMC sometime when I am in Vietnam. It would be a lot easier for me and probably a lot cheaper(it cost $300 here, not sure if this was the price given to me since I spoke to them in english). I am not in a hurry since I have my visa extension good until 2016 anyhow. Please clarify.

Any other info from anyone?!

The consulate services here in the states say I cannot get it done in Vietnam but my gut tells me different.
This is all the info I have so far. The application and biography are pretty extensive and I have most filled out.

- Application for a new passport
- Biography
- 03 new passport size photos (2x2 inches)
- A copy of US green card/ US passport/ valid visa
- A copy of papers on evidence of Vietnam nationality: Birth certificate, identity card, lasser-passer, nationality-relating decisions, child adoption decision…
- A MONEY ORDER or CASHIER'S CHECK for the fee made out to the “Embassy of Vietnam”.
- A self-addressed prepaid return envelope with tracking service such as FedEx or USPS Priority/ Express Mail, certified mail.