Doctor for kids in Gzira

Hi,

I have been searching but found no info on how it works so maybe someone with some experience can enlighten me! How does the health system work for kids? When they arrive next week, will they have to sign in somewhere? Do they get a general doctor to go to? We are currently living in Gzira.

Hi, no they don't register with anyone. If you want free care and you are entitled to it, then you would go as and when to a poly clinic near you.
Immunisation is centralised (kept record of) and again, your local poly clinic will advise. To see a gp, it's on a first come first served basis. Other clinics ie baby well clinic are usually by appointment only (but they tend to give everyone the 08:00 appointment!)
The other option and usually the most convenient (due to 2-3 hour waiting at the poly clinic,) is to see a private doctor, usually based in pharmacies. The price can range between 5 and 10 euro a visit.
When you arrive, get your local poly clinic number for gp home visits (if you have young children.) You have to do some convincing but they will come out to you in an emergency.

coxf0001 wrote:

Hi, no they don't register with anyone. If you want free care and you are entitled to it, then you would go as and when to a poly clinic near you.
Immunisation is centralised (kept record of) and again, your local poly clinic will advise. To see a gp, it's on a first come first served basis. Other clinics ie baby well clinic are usually by appointment only (but they tend to give everyone the 08:00 appointment!)
The other option and usually the most convenient (due to 2-3 hour waiting at the poly clinic,) is to see a private doctor, usually based in pharmacies. The price can range between 5 and 10 euro a visit.
When you arrive, get your local poly clinic number for gp home visits (if you have young children.) You have to do some convincing but they will come out to you in an emergency.

Nice, I see, thanks for the answer. I think we will be going to private clinics as we have BUPA insurance for the whole family. Kids are 3 and 6 btw. So many new processes to adapt to, it is unreal :)

Thanks for the help!