New Here--Hoping To Get Some Information About Oman

Assalaamu'Alaykum Wa Rahmatuallaah/Salutations All:

I hope this finds you all well. I'm Ameerati, and I'm an American muslim married to a Saudi man. Due to the new regulations laws with Saudis marrying non-Saudi(GCC) my husband and I looking for others who maybe are in the same and slightly common situation.

Alhamdulillaah, my husband is a Petrochemical Engineer, and we were wondering if Oman would be a good fit for us? He does not know much about Oman even though he's from 'Asir, Saudi Arabia. If my husband goes back to work in Saudi Arabia, I will be unable to be with him due to the new laws. Is it possible that I can reside in Oman without my husband?

Also, my husband feels that if he can get specific information he may accept a job position in Muscat? If he does, is it possible to live together in Muscat even though our marriage isn't registered with the Saudi government?

How would this be able to work?

Walykum Salam

New laws ?

There are no laws restricting marriage of Saudi Men to American Women

I don't understand what laws you're talking about !

I know new laws came up that Saudi's can't marry some nationalities !
Didn't include American !

Do you have a source for the laws you're talking about ?

I am speaking about seeking permission before marriage to a non-Saudi. My husband did not seek permission to marry from the KSA government. We just married. So, our marriage is not considered legal in the KSA.

However, we were married Islaamically and civilly here in the United States of America. At this time we do not want to get the iqama because it's just too much. Maybe later, but not right now.

Since there are laws concerning that, we are wondering if we come to Oman would our marriage be considered illegal? Also we are wondering if he does decide to go and work in KSA is it possible for our family to stay in Oman while he works.

Oman would be a perfect fit for us distance wise since it's boarding with KSA and Oman is stable country. If his family decides to visit us, it would not be a problem because they can just hop on a plane and within 2 hours be where we are if we located to Oman.

We are just wanting to know the visa process for Oman in dealing with Western women and Khaleeji men.

ameerati wrote:

I am speaking about seeking permission before marriage to a non-Saudi. My husband did not seek permission to marry from the KSA government. We just married. So, our marriage is not considered legal in the KSA.

However, we were married Islaamically and civilly here in the United States of America. At this time we do not want to get the iqama because it's just too much. Maybe later, but not right now.

Since there are laws concerning that, we are wondering if we come to Oman would our marriage be considered illegal? Also we are wondering if he does decide to go and work in KSA is it possible for our family to stay in Oman while he works.

Oman would be a perfect fit for us distance wise since it's boarding with KSA and Oman is stable country. If his family decides to visit us, it would not be a problem because they can just hop on a plane and within 2 hours be where we are if we located to Oman.

We are just wanting to know the visa process for Oman in dealing with Western women and Khaleeji men.

Alright , now I get to know the other part of the story !

Well , I would suggest he trying to talk with the Saudi Government on Legalizing a marriage !
Sure he would have some friends who work in the government who handles such cases !

Things in Saudi work with "Wasta" , Influence , maybe he'd know someone who can give a try to legalize the marriage !

If that's not possible !

Oman has it's different laws then Saudi , so am sure , if your marriage was proper and registered in the States , you can present the documents at Omani Embassy in the States so you can be eligible for a "Family Visa" status  !

Still do contact Omani authorities :)

If your husband decides to be in Saudi , Bahrain would be good for you to live in , as it's pretty close to Saudi , and now it's stable and safe to move there :)

I tend to agree with what was mentioned earlier by gunner757 about living in Bahrain.

To get a Family Visa in Oman, your husband must be working and living in Oman other than that you can live in Oman on a visit visa status but you will have to do whats called here as "Visa Run", when the validity of your visit visa expires you go to Dubai, Bahrain, Doha or any other city nearby and then re-enter Oman with a new visa. The problem with that option is that you won't be able to rent a house, open a bank account, have a resident card; it will simply make your life a bit complicated.

On the contrary if you decide to live in Bahrain!!!
I know a lot of western expat who work in KSA and their families are living in Bahrain. The causeway between Bahrain and KSA makes commuting between the two countries much easier.

For example if your husband is working in the eastern part of KSA, he can commute daily to his work from Bahrain if he wishes so.

Your life in Bahrain will be much easier with your husband working in Saudi, as he will be just a drive away from home.

You may also, check similar posts on the Bahraini forum; there are loads of active members over there who can provide you with valuable information in this regard.

Good Luck :)

You can find me in the Bahrain forum ;)

People are welcome there anytime   :gloria

Jazaka'Allaahu'Khayr for the advice. I have mentioned to my husband about Bahrain, however he doesn't want to go due the prostitution. He's very conservative. He's from 'Asir if that gives you any type of idea of where his head is at.

Even though we live in the United States he will not even go towards Nevada due to the gambling and prostitution. He will fly around it or drive around the whole state. He doesn't want to see it. Alhamdulillaah we live on the East coast. I tell him all the time, you better not go to California, you will fall out. *hehe!*

He's still hesitant about Oman, because he doesn't know that much about it, but he said if I got enough information about Oman and the process he will consider it. Which is alot coming from my husband. I thought of Oman because of the stablity and also the relax nature of the country and being close to the southern part of where they live, I thought it would be nice in case his parents wants to visit us. Not far of a journey.

Well ... Everywhere you go or you live in has got its Pros & Cons; and there are many areas in Bahrain where you can live peacefully and away of any hassle.

Anyway, Oman is a wonderful country, fascinating nature, landscape and kind people. As I explained earlier, your best bet, if your husband can hunt a job in Oman.

This link will explain you the different types of visas and the relevant requirements.

So!!! To answer your earlier questions, here you go:

Yes, your marriage certificate will be considered in Oman as long as its certified from the Omani Embassy in USA.

Yes, its possible to live in Oman while your husband lives and works in KSA, you will live on a visit visa status, and based on the validity of your visa, you'll have to exit Oman every some time and re-enter with a new visa; and that's easy and not of a big deal.

And if it's not possible to get "Residence Visa in Oman "

You could stay as a tourist , and do "Visa Run" every 60 days or so !

Feel free to ask any queries :)

Thank you all so very much. I will share this with my husband as soon as possible.

Another question is about insurance for such as health and car. Is there plans we can purchase once there or is that something we can do from the states?

How much health insurance is costing these days?

ameerati wrote:

Thank you all so very much. I will share this with my husband as soon as possible.

Another question is about insurance for such as health and car. Is there plans we can purchase once there or is that something we can do from the states?

How much health insurance is costing these days?

You need local insurance for cars I guess !

Not sure about health insurance , well I guess you could buy one from the States which has global coverage !

Compare health insurances here 

Also , local companies offering health insurance could be found in Oman , I'll have a look and keep you updated :)

Feel free to ask , and yeah , don't say thanks next time :)

Gunner: Are you originally Omani or Khaleeji?

When it comes to Health Insurance, the situation is a bit tricky here and the answer will depend on your status of stay in Oman.

If you are living in Oman on an Employment Visa, usually the Employer provide you/your family with what they call it here as a "Medical Insurance" which normally covers your Medical expenditures to certain extent which is the limit/insurance plan set by the Employer.

If you are living in Oman on a Visit Visa, you won't be able to purchase any health insurance in Oman, the best you could do is to find a suitable travel insurance plan in the USA before coming to Oman, this way you are kind of covered  in case of any emergencies.

When it comes to Car Insurance; Car Insurance is associated with the ownership of the car itself, you cannot buy a car while living in Oman on a Visit Visa, but if your husband brought a car from KSA, it will have a Saudi registeration numbers and therefore it will be insured, the most important part is that it has to be insured not only in Saudi but this insurance must be covering Oman as well.

The easy option is to lease a car while staying in Oman that will save you a lot of time and less responsibilities.

ameerati wrote:

Gunner: Are you originally Omani or Khaleeji?

Tough question !

Not Omani ,

but Khaleeji and half British !

It's a long story  :D