Spend 2-3 nights at each stop

Greetings all.

We are travelling in USA on an extended vacation and hope to fly to DR in the next 10 days or so. We will rent a car and want to see as much of the country as possible. We will not stay in only one hotel, and typically like to spend 2-3 nights at each stop.  We have a  few questions:

1. how long should we plan on being in DR to have sufficient time to move around and feel  we saw most of it and got a good feel for it?

2. is DR a good base from which we could fly to Cuba, Turks and Caicos or other countries in the Caribbean, or would it be better to fly back to Miami and use it as a base?

3. is Miami the most economical departure city?

4. into which DR city should we fly, for economic reasons as well as being the best starting point for a road trip?

Hi gmp2,

Welcome to Expat.com!

A new topic has been created as from your post on the Mexico forum as you were off topic on the thread "New members of the Mexico forum".

What do you mean by DR?

Thank you

Could be Dominican Republic. Wrong forum, perhaps?

joaquinx wrote:

Could be Dominican Republic. Wrong forum, perhaps?

After talking to the initiator, he told me that he is in fact talking about Dominican Republic indeed. ! Thank you for your suggestion here joaquinx. ;)

Therefore, this topic is now on the Dominican Republic forum for more visibility and for a better interaction with the other members.

Thanks

Priscilla  :cheers:

Of first off Welcome,

How long do you plan on being in the DR. This is a very big country and driving here is certainly not recommended for someone who has never been here before.  It can be very dangerous to drive here especially for a "newbie".

As you will need a month or more to see the country what are you looking for (history, local culture, beaches, etc)

Yes you can get to Cuba, and Turks from here but not from all airports.  Miami is a much better "hub" for the Caribbean or even San Juan PR.

Give us some info and we will be able to answer your questions better.

Again welcome

Bob K

Welcome to the Dominican Republic Forums!  Thank goodness you found us.....LOL

Bob is giving you some good advice, it is not easy to drive here, we do not recommend it at first.  IF you decide you will only rent from a large reputable firm on your first visit.  Get the full insurance package.

Even better is to rent a car and a driver. Both Bob and I know reliable people in various parts of the country.

IF you are wanting to hit the big spots and stay 2 to 3 days in each you need a minimum of 3 weeks but 4 or more is better.

I would suggest you fly into and out of Santo Domingo - it is the largest most international airport with a variety of options. yes you can get to Cuba etc from SD airport.

In terms of cost to get into SD -  do your homework. Check the various routes any given day or time some are cheaper then others - common  is Miami, New York, Atlanta I believe. 

Again welcome to the forums, keep asking your questions, we are here to help.