Best way to move from UK to BCN

I'm going to be moving to BCN in August but haven't decided the best way to move my belongings. I don't have masses of belonging just a few small items of furniture, clothes and personal stuff. Its to much to take on the plane so thought about driving down in my UK car (big estate) or getting a lift to Calais then renting a car. What have other people done or does anyone have any recommendations.

hey shaka,
we were kinda on the same position as you. we decided to cut our losses and leave the furniture. ikea is near the centre of barcelona so we're just goin to get new stuff.
getting stuff shipped over is a fortune, you'd be cheaper paying the excess baggage at the airport.
i think if we weren't flying, we would have hired a car and driven down. i noticed on gumtree the other day someone asking for a lift to barcelona with some stuff and someone offering a lift in a van. maybe thats an option?
hope this helps!

After some of the silly quotes I had I think driving is the only way. Just need to decide whether to take my UK car or get a lift to Calais then hire a van in France. As I could drop it off in Perpignan.

hi, have you not thought about coming on a bus?  its cramped and longwinded, but its the cheapest way and once the bags are on it you can forget about it.  then when you get here you can get a taxi, also you see a lot of the countryside off a bus!!!!  good luck

After a lot of messing about I've decided that driving is the easiest/most cost effective way. So I've bought myself a LHD camper in the UK and I'm planning to drive that down within the next week or so.

bon voyage!  if you come down the centre clermont ferrand via roquefort region there are a lot of dual carriageways that aren't tolls and the scenery is fantastic.

Current plan is:
Home-Dover-Calais/Dunkerque-Orleans(overnight)-Clermont Ferrand-Millau(bridge)-Perpignan-Barcelona

Not necessarily in a great hurry to get the trip so going to take it steady and enjoy the scenery.