Dominican Republic for family and extended family (long post)

I am currently a pedodontist in Oklahoma City (a transplant from Dallas, TX.) I am 42 and my wife is 38. We have a 16.5 yo son, 14.5 yo son and a 4.5 yo daughter. Born Dec. Oct. Nov. respectively. My mother is 72 and in very good condition (she is a type 1 diabetic, but in very good control.) My father will be 74 in Oct. He is in good condition aside from his knees which give him discomfort (he should be getting total knee replacements in the next several months.) My wife is deaf and all of my family is fluent in American Sign Language. My wife in no way feels disabled. She is very resourceful and doesn't let her limitations limit her. I am tired of all the crud involved in my profession. I love helping and working with the kids, but all the bureaucracy, rules, regulations, stress, etc have really taken any enjoyment out of the health profession. I own my own practice which has the added stress of staffing, hiring, firing, managing, and all the other permits, certification, and millions of other little things you have to apply for and pay for. HIPPA, Sunshine Act, obamacare, Medicaid audits, etc. have just ruined it for me. I am worn out. God has blessed me with a very very very busy practice and I have worked extremely hard the past 13 yrs. We have always been mindful from day one that we need to save and invest. I have never had the attitude to work until retirement age. I wanted to gain financial independence as soon as possible that way if I choose to work it is because I want to not because I have to. We have saved well. We do not have enough right now to retire completely in the US (in my opinion.) we probably could retire, but it would mean some budgeting which unfortunately my wife and I have never had to do in the past 13 yrs. We lived in a 900 sqft home on a meager budget of $24k during school and residency, but that has all been forgotten :-) I really want to retire now. I really really want to retire somewhere warm and I really really really want to retire by the beach. I am a water person. Just being close to water makes me feel better. We have a second home in South Padre Island that we rent out while we are not using it. South Padre is at the very southernmost tip of Texas just across from Mexico. It is the same latitude as Miami, FL. The cost of living is cheaper in South Padre (except for the housing) than many other places in the US, but it is not truly tropical (subtropical) and exotic. We would probably keep the beach house in Padre and use it as a home base for trips back to the US. I believe that I have worked out a rough "plan" to be able to retire abroad. My thinking is that if we have been blessed with the resources and are able to retire abroad now why not do that while we are younger and healthy. My parents are healthy now. If I wait to retire here in the US they may not be as healthy. Ten years is a long time when you are in your 70's. The difference from 30 to 40 isn't that much, but from 75 to 85 is a big difference in abilities. Soooo, after that long winded introduction and preface I will get down to business. My parents have very meager retirement savings. They receive about $3,000 total in social security (sorry about specifics, but I really would like specifics in the responses so a little specifics from me are necessary).  Anywho, my first concern is budget. I know it is a somewhat nebulous subject, but in the confines of vaguery I will ask these questions. My wife and I want to live either ON the beach or no more than 2-3 houses removed from the beach. Two to three beds with two to three baths about 1500-2000 sqft. Is it realistic to plan to live an "equivalent" of an upper middle class lifestyle in the Cabarete area (or surrounding areas) on a total budget of $5000/mo.'ish renting or buying. This is not my total income. Just without being specific I am looking for a rough number. I understand there are many variables involved. I would think housing would be the most expensive. Just an average run of the mill upper middle class lifestyle. Cable, internet, cell phones A/C, maid, water heater, out to eat probably 4-5 times a week, one or two cars (cars need not be expensive or brand new, but something like a jeep wrangler or equivalent), golf cart, etc. I understand there are cultural differences and there are amenities available in the US that are not available in the DR that is why I say the equivalent. I am not expecting to drive around in the DR in a BMW 525. I would like an automobile though and preferably 2. I can walk run or bike, but I like to drive also. Aside from my family I have 3 passions in my life the beach, jiu jitsu, and dogs/dog training. My typical day would consist of waking up going for a run with the wife and dogs, showering walking on the beach sitting on the porch, training the dogs some and then jiu jitsu in the evening. I'm not a huge shopper. I order what I need online. My wife loves to run and make crafts. We both enjoy long evening walks. Being from Texas We are used to heat and humidity, but I like to be cool when I sleep. My parents would have a budget of roughly $3500/mo. They do not necessarily care about being as close to the beach as possible as long as they are a short drive to our house and close to a golf course. My parents live on a budget now of roughly a little less than $5000/mo here in the US. Which I help them out with.

To let you inside my head a little my thinking is if I retire and move to the DR in about 2 yrs we will set our minds to stay and give it at least 3-5 yrs. (most likely renting the first year and possibly 2 until we decide if it is permanent.) If I live off roughly 1/3 of my investments and save the other 2/3's then in 3-5 yrs I should have enough to retire in the US if we decide that life in the DR is not for us. Most likely we will just live in the DR 3/4 of our time and spend 1/4 of our time in South Padre and visiting family in Texas. Living in the Caribbean has long time been a dream of mine. I have done much research, but I like hard numbers even if they are best guesstimates. Worst case scenario it is a nice 3 yr vacation and we decide to move back to the US. Knowing myself and my wife I doubt this will be the case but one never knows. I do know that if I don't take the chance and try it I will always wonder what it would be like and it will always be just a dream.

Our 4.5 yo daughter will need to go to the international school or a private school. I have heard people on the forum say the international school is expensive. What is "expensive"? $500 a month? $1000/mo.? All in all I am wondering on a rough rough number to live an equivalent upper middle class lifestyle there. By getting a rough number from people who live there now it will help me fine tune my planning and help build more confidence in my decision. I don't want to move my family to another country just to find out MY estimates were way off.

I do not eat meat aside from seafood which I love. I rarely eat cheese. I LOVE rice and beans. I like an occasional pizza and some junk food, but mostly eat veggie burgers salad, avocados, fruit smoothies, rice, beans. I love tea. I drink a beer once in a while (once every couple of months here in Oklahoma City, but in padre on the beach maybe once a week.) My wife will eat whatever although her staples are cereal and PB&J sandwiches.

Thank you to everyone who takes time to read this. Thanks in advance to those who respond. Please give me whatever rough number you think it would take with any explanations you can. I am looking at this from two perspectives. A realistic monthly budget for myself and family and a realistic budget for my parents. Thanks so much everyone and have a blessed day.

Jason Lee

PS I have struggled with trying to wait 4 yrs until both my sons are out of high school and in college. I really don't know if I can stay here and work for another 4 yrs. In 2 yrs one son will be out of HS and in college. I have their college taken care of and need not factor that into the budget. Advice on this is welcomed. How do kids handle living in the DR?

First welcome to the forums!  Second - thats one hell of a post..

Can we assume your older children will go to college there?  For the youngest school prices vary by school, location and grade of child.

Your parents will do fine here but you eill need insurance from home, they do not qualify here.

Your budget, depending on where etc 3,000 to 4,000 is likely a good standard of living.

Please read many of the other threads, they are full of great information.  And, keep asking questikns.

Have you visited? Do you know which area of the country you are thinking to live?

Cabarete is where we are planning to stay. There is a very reputable jiu jitsu academy there. An instructor from Padre recommended the academy. In fact, Papo, the instructor at the academy in Cabarete, is a PE teacher at the ISSOSUA. A friend who was in the peace corps and lived in the DR for 2 yrs has also recommended Cabarete. I believe there is an international school near by. I spent a good year or so just researching the Caribbean. Belize, Puerto Rico, VI, Honduras, CR, etc. to finally come to a decision that the DR is probably best fit for us. The forums here have really helped a ton. Now that I have narrowed down the best place in the Caribbean for us my wife and I are going to visit. I have been so busy that I have not taken a vacation in forever. It's difficult for me to take off work, but I am just going to do it. I feel I need to visit at least 3 or 4 times over the next year or two in order to get my info. that I would like. What times of the year should we visit to get a good look at all the good and bad?

http://www.bjjglobetrotter.com/?cat=32

An article the BJJ Globetrotter wrote about the academy in Cabarete. BJJ stands for Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. It is a pretty famous destination in the jiu jitsu world. One of their black belt competitors is world famous. I digress. Any advice would be well appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

Jason let me add my welcome.  My wife and I relocated to the north coast (Sosua/Cabarete area ...live between the two towns) over 8 years ago full time and have not looked back for a second. It is a good place to raise a family and yes one of the best international schools is located between Sosua and Cabarete as well.  There is a good mix of locals, tourists and a large Expat community here as well.

Planner is right about our folks as far as insurance is concerned as they will not be able to get local insurance and in fact most of the international companies will not insure if over 65.  Also know that Medicare DOES NOT cover you here either.  So God forbid they needed care it would be out of pocket or they would have to return to the US.

On a budget of $3000 to $4000 you should do fine. Remember school (international ) is very expensive.

You do need to take an couple of trips down and don't spend them at an AI resort but rather rent a local condo and see if living here "fits" for you.  Living here can be great for some and a nightmare for others. Visiting anytime will give you lots of information and you should try a trip during the winter (tourist season) and summer (low season) as there is a difference.

Keep asking your questions there are lots of good folks here on this forum with lots of good information to share.

Again Welcome

Bob K

Good to hear you plan to visit!!!!   you are best to try to visit at least 3 different times of year.   Holiday season is an eye opener - I mean Christmas!   Dominicans know how to celebrate.   Then come late spring and to get a real feel  try visiting in August / September. It is the hottest most humid time of year.  It is also the time we are more likely to get hurricanes or tropical storms.  The north coast does not usually get many storms!  It is a geographic thing. 

Come and enjoy this country!  then make your decision.  Lets us know when you are coming to visit and those who can will meet you  - as long as you buy us a drink....   :D:D:D