Benefits of moved family to Asia

Is it Beneficial for my Husband ( Engineering Project Manager, Myself ( Production Engineer / Engineering Lecture) and our 4 young kids ( all under 6) to move to China?

Will our kids be safe and enjoy it?

Will we gain financially by moving?

Yes China is very safe and enjoyable for family life, there are unlimited places to explore, regarding the Financial benefits in general China Has much lower salaries than W.Europe. Most Wsternz there are doing Teaching Jobs or Traders.

One big issue need to be considered when moving to China!! is the Language barrier, English usage is very limited there, so the non-Mandarin Speaking expats,they will have big communication problems on daily life and they will get isolated from the entire society.

Regards,
Salem

It depends on which chinese city you plan to move to.

Shanghai , Beijing, Shenzhen .. 1-tier coastal cities, more safe.  Many youngers(20- 35 yrs old) who work in European/American companies/ offices speak English fluently. 

60% Texi drivers, supermarket shop assistants can't understand English. So this time, basic chinese can help u a lot. we don't force foreigners to speak Chinese well.  Many foreigners can't speak Chinese, also work and live in China .

:D  In Shanghai, Beijing, there're many international schools, so don't worry about the children's education.

Welcome to China !

Dear Cequina,

I am a regular traveler to Shanghai, i cant see any Taxi driver who can speak English :) , every time i take a cab, i need to accompany with my Chinese friend or a written address in Mandarin...all Chinese cities are the same except Hongkong...

Hi,

Me and my wife met here in Changchun, Jilin, China. We are now married with a 10 month baby. China has been safe for us so far and we live a good life as professional teachers. China is strong economically and we are considering staying and raising her here in the future.

I have been in China for 8 years now and I have had no troubles with safety. Foreigners are treated pretty well and the lifestyle is improving everyday. Our city is growing and is becoming international quickly. I also lived in Hangzhou for 5 years before moving up here to Changchun to work with this American School.

You need to be open to China's culture and thinking as it is different from Canada, but we have adjusted well.

Regards,

Len & Cybet

Moderated by kenjee 7 years ago
Reason : Do not promote services on forum. You could register freely your company under our Business Directory (found under Handy Tools)

Dear Salem_sby
Why do you need to take a chinese person with you in a taxi?
learn pinyin and its simple to say street addresses.

i don't know any chinese (very little) but i can look at pinyin and say what i need to say to a taxi driver.

i've found 1 of 20 taxi drivers will use English with me.  About once a month I'll get a driver wanting to practice his english while we travel to my destination.

It is extremely safe here.  Safer than the vast majority of Western cities.

Whether your kids would enjoy it depends on your kids and what you make of it.  Some kids here absolutely love it. It's a pretty amazing and formative experience to have.  I would recommend it.

CloMoore wrote:

Is it Beneficial for my Husband ( Engineering Project Manager, Myself ( Production Engineer / Engineering Lecture) and our 4 young kids ( all under 6) to move to China?

Will our kids be safe and enjoy it?

Will we gain financially by moving?

the biggest complains i have is that the air and water quality are horrible.
water is easy to solve, just get purified water treatment system for your tap or drinking water.

the air issue is difficult to solve, short of strapping on n95 masks permanently.
the good news is i see that the china government is taking serious steps to reduce the pollution issue.

less pollution is still pollution though.

financially, if u are living AWAY from the city, everything is cheap!
however, once u are living in the city, omg, the prices are a lot hefty, especially if you are earning local wages.