First time in Saudi Arabia, what to buy during probation period

Assalam u Alaikum, I am a Professional coming to Saudi Arabia in few months time. I will be on probation for 3 months and i will spend what i will bring from home. I have no one here and setting in for the first 3 months would be challenging for me, but i am determined. I will work in Riyadth region, exact city is not yet determined. Please guide me about the following things:

1. Should i opt to get a shared room or a bachelor room? what should i expect to pay?
2. Should i buy my own cooking ware or just buy my food two or three times a day from a store? what would be economical and feasible?
3. Which household items i should buy if i select a bachelor room, like AC etc?
4. Any other advice you would give me to get myself settled during first 3 months probation?
5. After 3 months my plan is to buy a apartment, bring my family.

Thanks.

'professionals' generally get their accommodation taken care of either by an actual place or by an allowance

your questions all depend on what type of apartment you wish to have and if that apartment is furnished or unfurnished

rareshine wrote:

'professionals' generally get their accommodation taken care of either by an actual place or by an allowance

your questions all depend on what type of apartment you wish to have and if that apartment is furnished or unfurnished

I am considering getting my own, because if i request for a family apartment, will i get one without my family?

Hello Doctor Sahib from Lahore,

I do not know if the rest of the members will understand the feeling of 'insecurity' and 'mistrust' a citizen goes through in a typical country  where ethics and values are not generally honored.

Let us come to the solution of your question:

"" The policy of keeping an employee on 3 months probation is a legal formality put in practice in order to limit the financial liability of an employer in case the employee is found un suitable for the job, it works in reciprocal too , in case you realize that your expectations are not being fulfilled, you can leave without wasting any time in 'notice period'.

95 % of the employees will move out of probation as a routine, the balance 5% lack either technical / professional skills or have major attitudinal disorder.""

Once you understand the above concept, the rest is easy, you must rent a room on monthly basis for the first 3 months and buy the items which you could throw away.

When you get the 'confirmation of job letter', you could go ahead with your renting an apartment on yearly basis and planning to bring your family.

Do not worry, if your employer decides to relocate you to another city in KSA after your probationary period, you will be compensated for the rental loss incurred.  :)

riazcdki wrote:

Hello Doctor Sahib from Lahore,

I do not know if the rest of the members will understand the feeling of 'insecurity' and 'mistrust' a citizen goes through in a typical country  where ethics and values are not generally honored.

Let us come to the solution of your question:

"" The policy of keeping an employee on 3 months probation is a legal formality put in practice in order to limit the financial liability of an employer in case the employee is found un suitable for the job, it works in reciprocal too , in case you realize that your expectations are not being fulfilled, you can leave without wasting any time in 'notice period'.

95 % of the employees will move out of probation as a routine, the balance 5% lack either technical / professional skills or have major attitudinal disorder.""

Once you understand the above concept, the rest is easy, you must rent a room on monthly basis for the first 3 months and but the items which I could throw away.

When you get the 'confirmation of job letter', you could go ahead with your renting an apartment on yearly basis and planning to bring your family.

Do not worry, if your employer decides to relocate you to another city in KSA after your probationary period, you will be compensated for the rental loss incurred.  :)

Thanks, i appreciate the tips.

not too hard to understand a probationary period, I do not see it as rocket science. It is a common practice all over the world, especially the west.

What I wrote still stands, you need to find out from your employer what your benefits are in regards to accommodation. I don't know anyone in their right mind, to turn down an accommodation place (if provided by an employer) in order to downgrade to a room in someone else's apt. It would only make sense to go into a room IF  accommodation is not provided. But you're not sure, so you need to find out.

In the long run (3 month run, in your case, and everyone else's case coming to the KSA) buying a pot, pan and couple of plates will be CHEAPER than eating out 2/3 times a day. now, if you're in a room, you may not have access to a kitchen -

rareshine wrote:

not too hard to understand a probationary period, I do not see it as rocket science. It is a common practice all over the world, especially the west.

What I wrote still stands, you need to find out from your employer what your benefits are in regards to accommodation. I don't know anyone in their right mind, to turn down an accommodation place (if provided by an employer) in order to downgrade to a room in someone else's apt. It would only make sense to go into a room IF  accommodation is not provided. But you're not sure, so you need to find out.

In the long run (3 month run, in your case, and everyone else's case coming to the KSA) buying a pot, pan and couple of plates will be CHEAPER than eating out 2/3 times a day. now, if you're in a room, you may not have access to a kitchen -

I can bring my family and either 3 months house allowance or accomodation will be provided by employer (MOH). But i am not sure whether they will provide me a family apartment after 3 months because i would be single at the time of coming. Do i get apartment after 3 months or right away? And if yes that will they allow me stay in a family apartment all alone?

Myelin,

If accommodation is part of your remuneration package, your company will provide you all your basic needs...if you are planning to be in a "live out" package, meaning you want to look for an accommodation other than your company is providing, they will give you housing allowance....i suggest do not plan ahead, not yet...just have a feel of Saudi first and of your new company...enjoy your probationary period and adjust to all conditions...if you are decided, that's the time to take the next steps....life here is so simple....to stay here is to be contented.....

that is definitely something you have to ask them. it varies form employer to employer.

the scenarios can be - shared accommodation from employer (at which point, you'll share and then might get a diff apt when you family arrives)

or.

non-shared accommodation from employer to begin with and you will have it when you family arrives

or.

you take your accommodation allowance, find your own place  - that's at your discretion to choose which you whether you will live in a room for 3 months and then find an apt upon the arrival of your family or just rent the whole apt from beginning and then have your family join you there in the apt.

Hello doctor sahib from Lahore,

From the above discussion I found Junsm's advice valuable

" ...enjoy your probationary period and adjust to all conditions...if you are decided, that's the time to take the next steps....life here is so simple....to stay here is to be contented....."

1) Rareshine:  The rocket science of probation period is different in the west in comparison to Saudi,  in the west, the employer uses probation as a tool to twist arm, negotiate and even 'blackmail' employees. In Saudi, I have worked as an employee and also as an employer. I have generally seen an attitude of HR heads as tolerant , and concerned about your and your family's welfare and will exercise the extreme measure as the last resort, The percentage of employees fired during probation here is probably 1/4 th. of the west.

2) After you have joined, you must not express or discuss your fear and insecurity in front of HR, you must have full faith and trust in them and be convinced that they are a part of 'your team' to facilitate you. At the same time you should not hesitate to seek information on all the relevant issues including housing.