Bringing Children to the Dominican Republic?

Hey,

Husband and I were thinking of maybe moving to the DR but we have our 4 month old little boy to think about...can someone tell me what (if any) locations would be good to raise a child (we are even thinking that we could home school)....We want to open up a coffee shop down there maybe next year sometime but wont go anywhere that is not a good place to raise our son! please help us out even by sending me some links or advice!

Welcome to Expat.com, nbotbijl and good luck for your new venture :)
Keep us posted about your experiences!

Santiago is a Nice city.
It has everything you need and quiet areas to live.
It also have an English Speaking Church
International Christian Church is an English speaking church with a blended worship service of English, Spanish, and Creole. The Presence of God is evident in our services as many have testified.
Our location is: Av. Miraflores, No. 67,2do nivel, Los Alomos, Santiago. RD. Miraflores is behind Plaza Luisa Amarilis which is located across from HOMS hospital.
The Word of God is preached in a way that encourages people to practice the Presence of God in their daily lives. It is our desire at ICC to meet the needs in people's lives by bringing them into a close, personal, and intimate love relationship with Jesus.
If you are looking for an English speaking church where the transforming truth of God's Word is preached and where unity in the in the Body of Christ is practiced then we want to welcome you into our church family here at ICC. We also have Children's Church for those with small children.

Pastor Jim White - 809.223.6612 E-mail: [email protected]
Treasurer Rosa Blanco - 809.707.0731 E-mail: [email protected]

Santiago is a nice big, busy, noisy city. If you are not moving here for an "english speaking" church then I would look at the north coast.  We have a large,active Expatirate community here with folks from all over the world. There is a good infra structre with almost everything  you could need and some very nice beaches as well.  If you can't find aomething you need  here, then Santiago is only an hour and a half away.   There is also some great private schools here for the young one.

Bob K

Good morning every one.

Can somebody tell me about Rio San Juan area, please?
We also have kids to raise, looking for a very peaceful place to live.

Many thanks for your reply,
Myriam.

Hi and welcome to the forum Hyperboles! :)

I hope other members will be able to tell you more about this place soon.

Regards
Armand

Rio San Juan is on the north coast and is a moderate sized town with very few Expats living right there.  It is mostly a Dominican town.  Just to the east (20 min or so) is Cabrara which is a small town with some nice beaches and a small Expat community. The closest "large town around would be Nagua but again made up of nearlly all Dominicans. If you are set on this area Cabrara probably would be the best but not sure how good it would be if raising a family.

Bobb K

What about Sosua?

nbotbijl wrote:

we have our 4 month old little boy.... locations would be good to raise a child....We want to open up a coffee shop ...

Your child is not the problem and there is still enough time to think about his education. Good private schools are mainly found in the bigger cities, the better the more expensive they are.

Coffee shop is good....

for a hobby, for earning money I don't think so.

The sosua/Cabarete has a large Expat community with folks from all over the world here.  There are also some very good private schools again with kids from all over.

Trying to find a job/work to support you family will be VERY difficult at best.

Bob K