Water Filtration/Treatment

I posted this one the Thorn Tree forums for Lonely Planet, but am hoping I will have better luck here.  I am moving to Kenya for about a year (some time in Nairobi, some in Nakuru).  On a previous stint in Kenya, I bought 5-gallon bottles of water from one of the big companies.  I'd like to avoid that this time around, partially because hauling 40 lbs of water from Nakumatt to my apartment is a big hassle.

I am looking for water treatment options that are:
-Long term (i.e. no chlorine treatment that is intended for emergencies only)
-Reliable against viruses (so most filters won't work because they can't catch viruses)

I am interested to know what other expats use.  Do you filter, boil, treat with chlorine or something else?  Any ideas for a good system?

Hello, we use a water filter conected to the mains water.  It consists of a plastic box which hangs on the wall, with a water outlet on the front.  It has a couple of filters, inside plus UV treatment.  We have never had any problems healthwise.  We tend to use it to top up some jugs with drinking water (in case there is a power cut), first thing in the morning.  The filter cartridges last about a year and are relatively easy to replace.

The filter unit cost Kes 27000 about 3 years ago and just required plumbing in (which the company can do for you).  We bought it from a shop in Village Market (ground floor, close to the book shop, play area and post office).  The company sell a number of filtration systems, from domestic to commercial, plus replacement filters.

Off the top of my head, I am unsure how the filter performs against viruses.  However, I have been drinking lots of the water from it, without ill effects.

The water filter has worked out considerably cheaper than buying bottled water, which some cynics will tell you comes from the tap!

nakumatt has a new infiltration solution.checkout nakumatt karen

Hey All,

My response is quite delayed.

I have been using a home ULTRA filtration system...it is a countertop filter that is installed in seconds without the need for professional tools or plumbing. It is widely held that Ultrafiltration (UF) systems are perfect for household water filtration applications using pretreated water. Its German, engineered, Japanese  technology and Korean made.
It removes all toxic metals ( lead, mercury, copper etc), petrochemicals ( herbicides, pesticides, detergents, voc, carcinogens, etc), and all microbiological organisms ( E.coli, Enterobacter, Klebsiella, Citrobacter etc).

It gives water that is smoother, fresher and better tasting and has DO2 dissolved oxygen and its alkaline 8pH in nature.

No electricity is needed.

Kindly contact me for more details.

Here is the website [link moderated]