Martin du Plooy

I will relocate to Zambia in March next year. I'm working for CHEP - pallets and will reside in Lusaka. My wife is a teacher in Afrikaans. If you can provide me with info regarding housing - to rent. Is their secure estate housing available in Lusaka? What is the monthly rental payable for a 3 bedroom simpleks cluster for eg.
Is the humidity very high during summer?
Must I open a new bank account, or can I keep my account with Nedbank?
Is there a proper gym available - similiar to virgin active?

Thanks
Martin

Hi Martin

This is Oscar. I've been in Lusaka for almost a year. I think I can answer some of your questions.

Regarding accommodation and security, Lusaka is quite safe, very safe if you compare with SA. There are many secure complexes available, but for similar price you may be able to enjoy of the privacy of a house. Prices depend on the area where you choose to live in. There is a big South African community in the Southern suburbs (e.g. Makeni, Lilayi). Houses in that area are very spacious, with really big plots, surrounded by bush; you also find complexes, but I must tell you that the only advantage I find over a house is the fact that water, electricity and gardener are included in the price of your rent (but that is me, who really does not like to have neighbours very close by). In The Southern area you have the Baobab College, a very good international school, which follows the IGCSE system. Similar areas are Leopard's Hill and Ibex Hill, but they are far towards the east and I will recommend you them only if you are working in that area. The American International School is there, which follows the International Baccalaureate.

We live in Kalundu, a residential area closer to the University of Zambia, main shopping malls, hospitals and amenities, and far enough from the city centre (yow really want to be away from that area), and with very nice and large houses. Other areas similar are Olympia Park (be careful with the roads, they are terrible in that area), Kabulonga and Rhodes Park. We've found our place through Knight Frank properties ([email protected]). Homenet Zambia also has great variety of properties.

One thing you may consider is the traffic. Seriously, have it in mind. There has been an explosion in the number of cars in Lusaka and the road system was not prepared fir that, so you can spend your day in traffic. If you are going to work in the Industrial area, you must consider that is in the Western side, so I will not even consider t live in places such as Ibex Hill or Leopard' Hill. From home, my wife is at work in the Industrial area in about 20 minutes; from the Makeni side (Southern area) you may need to consider approx. 30 to 40 min, depending on the time you live home. The cut-off time is around 07.10 in the morning. You live later than that and you are stuck in traffic. The way home I'm affraid it may take a bit longer.

Climate: Lusaka is DRY. We have a rainy season between October/November and Feb/March, with serious rains. but the rest of the year it is really dry. Right now is windy and dusty. Summers are hot, but mostly October before the rains. Winters are mild, with a few really cold days. If your question of heat and humidity aiming at knowing whether the  summer are like in Durban, the answer is not. It is very hot, the sun burns, but without the KZN humidity.

Gym... Well, you will need to lower a bit your standards (as in many other things). Between the centre of Town and the Makeni area there is a big gym, perhaps similar to a Virgin Active, called Universal Fitness. In Leopard's Hill there is one called Oxygym, which is smaller but seems quite good. In the Rhodes Park Area you have the City Health and Fitness Centre, quite large. In my area they are about to open a new one (I'm waiting for that!), and in the meantime I'm using the Kaingo Fitness Centre, very small but does the job. You may expect to pay around 400 kwacha per month in membership. I forgot that there is also a Curves at Manda Hill, the main Shopping Mall, oppsite the showgrounds.

About Bank Account, most people open a new account here. There is no Nedbank. First National is here and Standard Bank, who trades as Stanbic. MOney transfers to SA accounts are quite costly.

Well, hope I have answered some of your questions. Give me a shout if you need anything else

Cheer for now

Oscar

PS: Please, find out if your company gives you medical aid. Private Health System is as good as in SA, but is getting better. Also if they offer an emergency service to fly you over to SA in cases of extreme medical problems. I will recommend you also to keep, at least, a hospital plan in SA, just in case you need to be taken to SA in an emergency.

Hi Oscar - thanks so much for the information provided - much appreciated.
Luckily, my company is paying my medical aid - I'm with Discovery.
We are visiting Zambia on a business trip in the week of 15-19 September. After that I will set aside some time to
have a look at the different residential areas.
Where are you working?
Regards
Martin

No problem about the info. Give me a shout if you need anything else.

I am a vet and a researcher, but currently I'm a staying-at-home dad. We moved here because my wife got a job in an animal feed company. I have been trying to get a job at the University of Zambia, but no luck, so currently I'm doing all the paperwork to start practicing as a poultry vet.

Good luck with the house hunting (quite a thing I must say). We have been in your place a year ago so, whenever you need us, we are here

Cheers for now

Oscar

I realy appreciate your concern and heplfulness - will definitely stay in touch.