To have children in philippines

Someone know about rules in philippines when you have children?  I would like to hear positive and negative things from expat. Is there that someone that had positive o negative experience? Thanks

+ cheaper to have yaya's and maid's to do housekeep, freeing up family time
+ growing up in a multicultral environment is good

- international schools are expensive
- in Manila, the pollution and congestion prevents going out and playing

If you have children in the Philippines...Beware of so many negative things which can befall them..Trust no one with your children and watch them closely at all times..If you are from a 1st world nation take them there when they become school age...Medical care is a real threat to them in the Philippines... PESO IS KING

Advice #1 / of ?:

When you and your significant other decide to have babies, first make sure she has complete vaccination / immunization for diseases such as measles, mumps, chicken pox, etc. or had acquired them in the past.  It's highly likely that your child will have birth defects if your wife / gf acquires these diseases while she's pregnant. Care for a special child (special school, developmental pediatricians, therapy, etc.) is expensive in the Philippines.

Advice #2 / of ?:

Prenatal care is as important as neonatal care. I would advise going to an OB / Gyne whose clinic is close by. Also pick a good hospital that's near your place.  Don't get suckered in by OBs who want to do a Caesarian birth. Unless a C-section is truly necessary, like in placenta previa (placenta is blocking the birth canal, insist that you want natural child birth.

I have started threads about socialized hospitalization pricing in the Philippines. It's also in my blog: http://www.mymovetothephilippines.com/2 … ilippines/  You might want to check it out.

Advice #3:

Always doubt the security of ALL hospitals in the Philippines.  Do not leave your gf alone in her room, especially if she has the baby with her. If you need to sleep, make sure you have a trusted reliever. If the nurse needs to take the baby to give him / her a bath, follow her.

I gave birth to my first child in America and my second in the Philippines. Very different experiences.  In America, it was alright for the dad to stay with the mom as she gives birth either in a delivery room or operating room (wearing complete OR scrubs).  My son had a security device attached to his umbilical cord stump which would set off an alarm if he gets too close to the stairs or elevator. Hospital security would be there in a matter of seconds and the police in under 3 minutes, maybe even just 2 minutes.

In the Philippines, the dad is not allowed in the OR or delivery room (a big disappointment for my husband). There's no security device on the baby.  There could be lots of strangers outside your door. They're most likely friends or relatives of other patients, but you never know. Things such as diapers, pillows, blankets, etc. that will be used by your gf or child will be charged to your account.  Bring your own comfy, better material / quality stuff, and inform the staff so they won't charge you.

Thanks so much for advice.
also in italy husband can go very where with wife, also in delivery room.  Sure i like a natural brith because children more smart then in some other way.

giovannigio wrote:

also in italy husband can go very where with wife, also in delivery room.  Sure i like a natural brith because children more smart then in some other way.

where did you get the info that children will be smarter by normal delivery than other?

greenetravel wrote:
giovannigio wrote:

where did you get the info that children will be smarter by normal delivery than other?

Some say children who are born other than normal tend not to be as healthy...Like asthma, and not as energetic more lathargic than normal birth babies which could affect their mental capacity...

well my 3 kids  were all born by cs   -i guess have to wait and see whether they turn out to be scientists or not   and prove the (some) wrong

greenetravel wrote:

well my 3 kids  were all born by cs   -i guess have to wait and see whether they turn out to be scientists or not   and prove the (some) wrong

Just curious greenetravel...Were your CS's done in the Philippines...????..

no

Greenetravel it is science that who born natural more smart then who born in CS way.  Like who drink mother milk have very  good healthy then who just drink other kind of milk.   You can research this information in internet.  I heard one reason that them tell, it is because in natural born baby come out just in right time but with Cs baby come out before, sothat change every thing in baby body.  It is like when you eat a fruit, one you eat when it is right time to eat o you eat that fruit when it is not right time.

greenetravel wrote:

no

Where were they done and why all three???

giovannigio wrote:

Greenetravel it is science that who born natural more smart then who born in CS way.  Like who drink mother milk have very  good healthy then who just drink other kind of milk.   You can research this information in internet.  I heard one reason that them tell, it is because in natural born baby come out just in right time but with Cs baby come out before, sothat change every thing in baby body.  It is like when you eat a fruit, one you eat when it is right time to eat o you eat that fruit when it is not right time.

Actually, the Yale study involved mice and not real people. How does one perform C-section on mice? The poor tiny baby's mouse's body and head was probably squeezed by cold metal instruments to get it out, which could be why it's not smarter.  So far, there's no proof on humans. But I do have to say, I, born naturally, can track cheese faster than my two C-section kids.  LOL.

Here's a link refuting the theory: http://mwnation.com/demystifying-c-section-births/ which leads me to advice #4. 

ALL babies are different. They have different personalities, degrees of wants and needs. Some are like angels who go through a regular agreeable sleep routine in a few weeks.  Some are just like monsters who would cry and scream so loudly when they want attention, though there is nothing wrong with them, They're just like that.  Some are picky eaters.  Some are ginormous and some are small. Most are cute, but some are just . . . not cute.

Do not compare your kid with other kids, especially openly. It can be rude to other parents. Or you could end up disappointed with your child.

giovannigio wrote:

I heard one reason that them tell, it is because in natural born baby come out just in right time but with Cs baby come out before, sothat change every thing in baby body..

You have confused pregnancy term i.e., full term babies vs  pre-term / premature ones, with delivery method, i.e. vaginal vs. Caesarian section. Generally, premature babies, whether born vaginally or c-section, have more complications than full term. A premature child born vaginally will need to stay in the hospital longer than a full term delivered via c-section.

If you do believe that naturally born babies are smarter than c-section babies, so be it.  But do remember that it's the baby's health that's most important. 

Back in the states, I was really looking forward to giving birth naturally and even took birthing classes when I was pregnant. But 2 days before my due date, an ultrasound revealed that there were particulates, specifically meconium, in my amniotic fluid. The baby has to come out. The doctor gave me 2 options: induce labor and delivery the baby naturally, or do a c-section. The risk of the former is that the baby could inhale the particulates when it comes out, which could cause pneumonia if they get into his lungs.

I think we made the right decision with C-section.  Even my sister-in-law who is more of a hippie-type who did a home birth, said she would have done the same.

Sure that health of baby more important then everything,  and then every body have a different situation that you have to decide in that moment for good of baby abd mother. And i non want talk about special case .  But we have to accept that more doctor in this world not only in philippines wang do Cs for get more money.

jusat for have idea
This weekend they are in the mood to bring back American studies. A recently carried out using a model of laboratory mice, reveal that children born from normal parts may be more intelligent than those born with caesarean sections.

At the time of the birth, is given a protein called UCP2 say that is assimilated in the traditional manner with the non-section.

The study, in my opinion a bit biased, also places emphasis on the fact that births 'artificial' have increased and are dangerous because they can lead to infertility and internal bleeding and that natural childbirth is still preferred.

Obviously, it is so for many reasons, one of which, the most obvious perhaps is that it is a unique experience not to be missed and have it ruin from surgery can alter the birth.

In many cases of mothers apparently healthy and able to give birth to children in a natural way, however, the C-section can not be avoided.

So, I wonder why you continue to insist on the importance of natural childbirth often terrorizing those women who are forced for reasons of force majeure to resort to.

In the piece I considered were criticized by some women of the star system for taking this way out of fear and comfort.

Even if you remember, Jessica Simpson was singled out for choosing a cesarean and a model companion of Orlando Bloom had the figure of the wicked rude for saying he did not want "drugging" her son with painkillers and therefore, preferred to give birth in total naturalness without even a help to alleviate pain.

In short, at this time I feel a little 'controversy. We tend too much to scare future mothers telling what can hurt or good to their children and directing them towards choices of a particular type.

It is obvious and clear that if we are made ​​in a way that if nature has given us certain possibilities, follow it is always the best solution, but when you can not do that because the medicine or other obstacles are put in the middle? What should we do dear mothers, or live with the bad conscience is not clean for having taken the road, perhaps simpler but more secure?

Let me know a bit what you think! And above all, what are your feelings about it!

intelligence comes from learning   not just by being born    -study says may be     -if so so what   ,do you want to have children  or   scientists   ,

FilAmericanMom wrote:
giovannigio wrote:

I heard one reason that them tell, it is because in natural born baby come out just in right time but with Cs baby come out before, sothat change every thing in baby body..

You have confused pregnancy term i.e., full term babies vs  pre-term / premature ones, with delivery method, i.e. vaginal vs. Caesarian section. Generally, premature babies, whether born vaginally or c-section, have more complications than full term. A premature child born vaginally will need to stay in the hospital longer than a full term delivered via c-section.

If you do believe that naturally born babies are smarter than c-section babies, so be it.  But do remember that it's the baby's health that's most important. 

Back in the states, I was really looking forward to giving birth naturally and even took birthing classes when I was pregnant. But 2 days before my due date, an ultrasound revealed that there were particulates, specifically meconium, in my amniotic fluid. The baby has to come out. The doctor gave me 2 options: induce labor and delivery the baby naturally, or do a c-section. The risk of the former is that the baby could inhale the particulates when it comes out, which could cause pneumonia if they get into his lungs.

I think we made the right decision with C-section.  Even my sister-in-law who is more of a hippie-type who did a home birth, said she would have done the same.

Keep in mind the bottom line for hospitals especially in the Philippines is Money...There are many hospitals in the USA which will give you hypothetical BS reasons to have you submit to a CS...Reasons which cannot be proven if there are complications so a litigation would be a losing proposition...More than 90% of babies in the cephalic(correct) position who are recommended for a CS is nothing more than questionable advice by their OBGYN's in which the patient is put in a mental position to accept that advice as being concrete hence an unneeded CS...CS operations are huge profits for all concerned except the unsuspecting parents...

In the Philippines they blatantly lie to the patient as to their laboring progress and actually put fear in the parents to achieve their goal knowing well the patient has no course of action as far as litigation against the doctor, staff and hospital and if they do try to litigate the max they can get is 100,000 pesos which is less than the total expense of most hospitals..

So EXPECTING MOTHERS IN LABOR beware of ANY CS advice especially if the baby is in the correct position and is under 4 kilos...

problem of doing CS that many doctors advice there is in many country, last year infact many doctor had letter from court because them did Cs when didn't need.
i non want have scientist baby, but just want have a healthy baby and without any problems.
and why not if i can do something that help my children study without many problem and be smort then other why not? for example someone tell if you eat fish better

Despite the insane ramblings of a man regarding "stupid C-section babies" I am actually quite interested on what it is like to raise two expat kids in Cebu. I am a single mom with two (C-section) kids who will be moving in July to Cebu to teach at Cebu International School. We've lived in Mexico for two years, and the differences of expectations for kids is very different from the US. So how is it in Cebu?

Also, just a general question, what do you like to do with your kids in Cebu? Or maybe for short weekend trips?

Hope to hear back from real parents in Cebu...

I think the one thing you are missing is that C-sections are rarely optional. If babies are born this way instead of naturally it is due to medical issues and for the safety of the mother and/or baby. Also, I am pretty sure the women are the ones who give birth, so for the most part you should probably leave the decision to them without judgment. As a mother of two children who HAD to be born via C-section, I do not at all appreciate your unfounded and uneducated comments.

Do not confuse C-sections with the option of eating fish or not during pregnancy. You are comparing apples and Middle Eastern grains of sand.

with all respect maybe we didn't understand each other, i didn't told that with CS baby is stupid. and honestly them aren't stupid. but just told what i read in some Scientific news that baby born in natural way usually smart then CS baby. and sure that isn't my word but some information that i read, so if you want more infromation just search in internet.
i am sure that your kids are smart too.
then here is a public place where we talk we exchange what we think, just for learn and it isn't for hurt someone.

but just need remember that in many country some doctor ask to do CS even don't need , just because in that way he o she earn more money.

You need be in a area with good schools.   You need walk with them to school. At 10 the older child should be able to take the younger one to and from school on the pedal trike. Cost 5 piso here. each. Make them carry there own bag.  To many maids carry there bags for them here. When school is out be at the gathering point.  This will be a open area were you will see many maids standing waiting for kids to walk home.  Meet the kids there. and walk them home.  Once you know the maids there a door has opened to all information you will need. Maids love to talk! House help, babysetters, shopping, were to buy, who has sales.  Valuable people they be.  Learn to ask in the Philippines.  I raise mine more American or tomboy of the bunch here.

guerrita81 wrote:

I think the one thing you are missing is that C-sections are rarely optional. If babies are born this way instead of naturally it is due to medical issues and for the safety of the mother and/or baby. Also, I am pretty sure the women are the ones who give birth, so for the most part you should probably leave the decision to them without judgment. As a mother of two children who HAD to be born via C-section, I do not at all appreciate your unfounded and uneducated comments.

Do not confuse C-sections with the option of eating fish or not during pregnancy. You are comparing apples and Middle Eastern grains of sand.

Guerrita81, and where were your CS procedures done and for what reason were you advised to have one...Just curious being you are not familiar with the ongoings in the Philippines..

FilAmericanMom wrote:

Advice #3:

Always doubt the security of ALL hospitals in the Philippines.  Do not leave your gf alone in her room, especially if she has the baby with her. If you need to sleep, make sure you have a trusted reliever. If the nurse needs to take the baby to give him / her a bath, follow her.

I gave birth to my first child in America and my second in the Philippines. Very different experiences.  In America, it was alright for the dad to stay with the mom as she gives birth either in a delivery room or operating room (wearing complete OR scrubs).  My son had a security device attached to his umbilical cord stump which would set off an alarm if he gets too close to the stairs or elevator. Hospital security would be there in a matter of seconds and the police in under 3 minutes, maybe even just 2 minutes.

In the Philippines, the dad is not allowed in the OR or delivery room (a big disappointment for my husband). There's no security device on the baby.  There could be lots of strangers outside your door. They're most likely friends or relatives of other patients, but you never know. Things such as diapers, pillows, blankets, etc. that will be used by your gf or child will be charged to your account.  Bring your own comfy, better material / quality stuff, and inform the staff so they won't charge you.

I must say that for a police service to have a response time of 2 to 3 minutes, is absolutely outstanding.  I am an ex emergency service worker from Aust and the average response times are something like:

Fire brigade 6 min
Ambulance 12 to 15 min for the most urgent call out
Police at best even for the most serious job 12 min

So the response time of seconds for the security guards and a couple of minutes for police is outstanding.

pej1111 wrote:
FilAmericanMom wrote:

Advice #3:

I must say that for a police service to have a response time of 2 to 3 minutes, is absolutely outstanding.  I am an ex emergency service worker from Aust and the average response times are something like:

Fire brigade 6 min
Ambulance 12 to 15 min for the most urgent call out
Police at best even for the most serious job 12 min

So the response time of seconds for the security guards and a couple of minutes for police is outstanding.

Yes it is.

The particular hospital where I gave birth to my son took the issue of child abduction really seriously. There were security guards on the floor below ours. The nearest police station was just minutes away. You would often spot a police car near the hospital. We were advised not to bring the baby too close to the elevators and emergency exit doors / stairs. If we set off the alarm needlessly, we would be fined.

What hospital did you go?  Public or private? Our obgyn is connected with a private hospital.  She said i will be able to go in the delivery room.  If my wife wants me to. We are in cavite Philippines.

Very true it's all about the babies health. And i do agree about  money for c's .. here in the Philippines they will try this for more money i been told. We are pregnant now. And informed the obgyn we will do natural birth unless there is a true problem.

giovannigio wrote:

Someone know about rules in philippines when you have children?  I would like to hear positive and negative things from expat. Is there that someone that had positive o negative experience? Thanks

There are no specific rules like "sharia laws" that exist in muslim countries. You should raise your children the way you want it based on democratic and human decency.

Pros:

1. Religion is relaxed and no "extremism" (except Mindanao) and children are not obligated to say various prayers a few times a day.
2. Children are children and are not subjected to too much preparation and pressure to succeed in life like in western countries.
3. Children are taught to respect the elders and the value of education at an early age.

Cons:

1. There are good schools for children but expensive.
2. If you have children, there are foreign predators who come and exploit vulnerabilities be it economic or other factors like a more relaxed and carefree lifestyle. Parents should always be on the lookout.

giovannigio wrote:

That´s a complete nonsense.

giovannigio wrote:

Sorry, it´s an old post.

Dwsses12 wrote:

Very true it's all about the babies health. And i do agree about  money for c's .. here in the Philippines they will try this for more money i been told. We are pregnant now. And informed the obgyn we will do natural birth unless there is a true problem.

For money, unnecessary surgery is rampant. But CS is very convenient. Just more expense.

My Filipina wife and I had my baby girl four months ago.  It was a smooth process I found....although I cannot compare as this is my first child.  My wife got a maternity package at a local private hospital.  Everything including all monthly checkups and delivery was included and for a natural birth we paid about 70,000 Pesos with three days hospital.  The only gripe was that I was not allowed to take part in the delivery as that was not permitted in the package.  Keepin mind that some hospitals won't give maternity packages if the husband is a foreigner...so go check first.

Congratulations and thank you

MinimalistJourneyman wrote:

My Filipina wife and I had my baby girl four months ago.  It was a smooth process I found....although I cannot compare as this is my first child.  My wife got a maternity package at a local private hospital.  Everything including all monthly checkups and delivery was included and for a natural birth we paid about 70,000 Pesos with three days hospital.  The only gripe was that I was not allowed to take part in the delivery as that was not permitted in the package.  Keepin mind that some hospitals won't give maternity packages if the husband is a foreigner...so go check first.

Really cheap. Can´t find that anywhere. They didn´t allow you perhaps to economize on the detergent/sterilization process that they have to do on the scrub that you´re going to use.  :D And then
you´ll probably bring a camera as an excited father - blinding them with your flash!  :lol:
Minor inconvenience considering the bare bone price... Don´t forget to register your child to the US
embassy as a US citizen. My conratulations!

vetretreat wrote:

If you have children in the Philippines...Beware of so many negative things which can befall them..Trust no one with your children and watch them closely at all times..If you are from a 1st world nation take them there when they become school age...Medical care is a real threat to them in the Philippines... PESO IS KING

Do people hire round-the-clock security guards due to these concerns?   If so, I'm curious to know what the cost for this would be.

I have absolutely no concerns in this regard,.  If  you exercise due caution as you would anywhere in the world you and your children are very safe in the Philippines.  Of course there are parts that aren't so safe but these can be easily avoided...are there not parts in the US that are risky?  Yes there are also some more diseases but only marginally so,  My wife have 14 nephews and nieces and not one of them has succumbed to crime or disease.  Unlike Latin America kidnapping is virtually unheard of here. 

In short that comment is ill-informed...maybe a burned expat with a grudge.